U-Pack Moving Reviews (164 total - 150 good/5 neutral)

View reviews of moving companies that our visitors have used, and came back to tell us about it.
FaithNJon (#42)

Re: 42 reviews of ABF U-Pack (36 ood/4 neutral/2 bad)

Postby FaithNJon (#42) » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:20 am

Recommended: yes :D
Date: 9/05
Move: NYC (Manhattan) to Aspen, CO
Cost: $2800 for 14 feet

Just moved from NYC to Aspen Colorado with ABF and it went smoothly from start to finish. Thanks to this site, I did my research and asked my questions and found myself extremely satisfied with my decision to use ABF-U Pack (and wound up saving alot of money)!! I feel that I owe both the volunteers from the site who were gracious enough to help me and potential individuals moving as well, so I want to share my experience.

After getting quotes from a top full-service mover (Mayflower) and others from not such reputable full-service movers, we decided to move our belongings from packed 2 bedroom apartment on WEA (NYC) to the Rocky Mts. by way of ABF. They estimated (via phone), I'd need a 12 linear foot of space on their truck (I gave description and estimated weight). We had to do a live load, with the driver waiting as we loaded the 28 foot truck (longer with the cab). The driver did not start until another ABF driver dropped off the much needed ramp that I had requested, which gave us (husband, dad and two pros) plenty of time to bring everything curbside. He did not actually start the clock until the ramp came, giving us over an hour to bring everything down. It then took us about an hour and a half (which he could have charged us extra for) to load, with the driver taking down and installing the bulkhead and giving us advice on loading. I actually used about 15 feet, but driver wrote 14 on paperwork (we had forgotten a ton of boxes in storage at my moms and some new toys the children had recieved.)

I tracked my goods the following couple of days and the truck arrived Denver on schedule. By the time it arrived, I had spoken to the Co. terminal numerous times, has contacted the local guy who would be dropping it off and was able to book two professional movers to help me unload on Sat. (the trailer was picked up in Denver on a Thursday, but the local guy was kind enough to drop it off on Friday, with a Monday pick-up. Everything was fine, a few broken dishes that I had packed myself and as I unpack, all looks OK. I had covered the load with a tarp, used mattresses and boxspring to stand up against bulkhead and used tons of bubblewrap, blankets and pillows to protect everything.

The advice posted on this website was great, regarding packing tips and whatnot!! Thanks again!!!!

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6316

Scott W. (#43)

Re: 43 reviews of ABF U-Pack (36 good/4 neutral/3 bad)

Postby Scott W. (#43) » Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:09 pm

Recommended: NO :evil: ; had water damage to goods because of unnoticed roof leak
Date: 9/05
Move: Buffalo, NY, to Tampa Bay, FL
Cost: Unknown for unknown number of feet

I was moving from Buffalo, NY to Tampa Bay and received a trailer with a 5 foot tear in the roof. Because of my schedule at the time, I had to do all of my loading at night. They were unable to get the trailer parked in Downtown Buffalo so all items had to be brought to the depot. The hole was just never noticed.

The trailer was shipped successfully, though it had to go through the remnants of Hurricane Katrina. It then sat in a lot in Tampa where during the summer you can set your watch to a heavy tropical rainfall for about an hour every afternoon.

When the trailer was brought to my house two weeks later, there was a puddle of standing water and everything smelled like mildew. My suits, my clothes, my important documents, everything I own was ruined in some way shape or form.

I purchased the additional insurance from ABF, hoping that I would never need to use it. ABF initially denied the claim, stating that they were not negligent.

They are now trying to do everything they can to not have to pay the claim in full. I have not seen a nickel from them to date and I'm not sure if I ever will.

My best advice to anyone that is moving is NOT to use ABF. The Customer Service people are real nice and even the Claims Agent is just doing his job. They are a commercial freight company and this moving thing is just a side job for them.

If you go with them, inspect the truck very carefully and wrap all of your goods like you've never wrapped them before. Wrap everything as if you were going to drop it from 6 feet onto concrete. Ask yourself before you load everything: Would this survive a 6 ft. fall? If the answer is NO- you're going to be upset when you go to take it off that truck.

I encourage anyone to send me an email if you have any questions about this or if you are just an average person who has never made a long distance move before and doesn't know where to go.

AGAIN: Don't use ABF U-Pack if you can avoid it. When they wreck your stuff and your life- you'll end up saying "DAMN IT! I should have listened to that guy..."

scottw710 @ yahoo.com

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3543

makelley

Postby makelley » Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:45 pm

I am moving from San Diego to the Seattle area next month and plan to use ABF. A family member of mine has recently had a really bad experience with an on-line moving company and I am quite nervous about something similar happening to me! I am happy to see the positive feedback and helpful suggestions for using ABF.

Can anyone tell me if the used the space estimators on the ABF website and if so was it accurate or at least close to the amount of space that you actually used? Any feedback would be very much appreciated.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:45 am

Hi - you don't have to be as concerned about estimating your space with ABF as you do with Broadway Express because you can always get as much space as you want with ABF up to a 28 feet maximum. Also, you can use LESS space than you reserve and pay for only that space as long as you pay for a certain minimum (I think it is about 75% of the space you reserve).

In terms of estimating accuracy, I haven't used the ABF online tool but I recall someone saying that it was pretty accurate. Another thing you can do is actually measure your larger items with a tape or yardstick and make a diagram of how you are going to load them. That is what I myself did.

tdcal1 (#44)

Re: 44 reviews of ABF U-Pack (37 good/4 neutral/3 bad)

Postby tdcal1 (#44) » Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:49 pm

Recommended: yes :D; SEE BOLDED SECTIONS FOR VERY USEFUL INFORMATION ABOUT LOADING THE TRAILER.
Date: 11/05
Move: Canyon Country, CA [near Los Angeles] to Redmond, OR
Cost: $2662 for 15 feet

Post #1 - 11/20/05

I first wrote to this site on October 10, '05 [asking about a scammer called Nationwide and got] responses from the great people of this site who HELP PEOPLE that they don't even know. Thank you so much... click here to read my prior thread

Anyway. I can't thank you all enough. My experience was exceptional with ABF They did everything that they said they would do, and for the same price. No BS. Very helpful. Very responsive. On time (early, actually). But just a couple of things I wanted to say, if you don't mind.

Before we started, I had read stories from your site about ABF and I especially paid attention to the negative ones, even though there were only 2. One talked about "a leaking truck" and we were moving to Oregon where it seldom stops raining (on the West side of the Cascades, anyway, but not where we moved to in Redmond). When the truck arrived, my sons and I had prepared. We had purchased a 16x24 foot heavy duty tarp to cover our goods, and a tube of clear SILICONE caulking. We really looked that truck over good...and we found a crack in the metal on the right front side near to top and one near the bottom. We filled the cracks before we started loading.

[Editor's note by Diane: If an ABF or Broadway Express trailer roof is going to leak, people have repeatedly told me that the most likely location is the passenger side corner near the roof at the nose (front) end of the trailer. The reason is that the roof in that location is vulnerable to the drivers hitting tree branches and such. It is kind of a blind spot. The photo below shows what people should be looking out for when they move with ABF--the area where the fiberglass roof is damaged at the upper right corner, above the upside-down laundry basket.]

Later on, we were getting pretty tired, loading the truck ourselves. And the new owners were moving IN as fast as we could move OUT...so, we had to evacuate all our stuff onto the sidewalks, etc. We just weren't able to pack as fast as we needed to, but we were doing a good job.

An "ANGEL", it seems, drove past and stopped to inquire if this was a "moving experience or a garage sale". I didn't laugh at the time.

He was a stranger...but a neighbor new on the next block who drives a MAYFLOWER VAN. He wanted to know if we needed anymore boxes or tape or help. I thought he was just trying to "sell" me something, so I turned him down. He retuned about an hour later and said, "I drive that Mayflower truck you always see, and this is a great way of saving money, but you people will be here all night this way. I have nothing to do on this nice Sunday afternoon, but I sure would like to HELP you. I do this for a living, so please let me "captain" this team. You can pay me whatever you want, I'm just trying to be neighborly."

Then, he said, " What you're going to need, though, is 2 or 3 KINEDYNE SAFE-T-LOK load bars, but they cost about $37 bucks apiece and you'll have to BUY them because I won't be able to get them back. Is that okay?

How can you turn down an offer like that. Someone who knows what they're doing. This guy was GOOD. He packed the rest of the truck in 2 hours and it was like a giant PUZZLE...it all fit like a bug in a rug, as they say. I was so relieved.

No wonder the city is called the "City of Angels". There really ARE some left there. I know a bunch of them. Don't put that city down.

Needless to say, I followed his orders. We got 2 brand new bars (all we could find on a Sunday afternoon) from a trucking agency along the interstate. I didn't even have to go and buy them myself...he called up a buddy of his that lives near the place and he brought them over in 30 mins in his pickup truck.

He put the KINEDYNE SAFE-T-LOKS up and then put the ABF wall in front of them, toward the rear (tail end) of the trailer. Looked like a clean, professional job. I got out my measuring tape.

We had used 14 foot-nine inches of the truck...and a LOT of the space on the truck was boxes of heavy REFERENCE BOOKS from my library. He said, "If this was being done by "my" company, it would cost you so much to ship these books that you would be better off to just throw them all away, because we do it all by WEIGHT, not be footage on the truck like ABF does. It would probably cost you over $6,000.

My estimate by ABF was $2500 plus anything past the 14 feet estimated at $162 per foot.

Naturally, I paid the man well for his 2 hours or so...all I had to do was bring him boxes along with my teenage helpers.

Thank you all so much! Thank you Mr Mayflower Vanlines driver from Canyon Country, CA. too. I can't remember your name, but you are indeed an angel of a neighbor. Thank God that people like you all still exist in the world. MOST OF US are good people in the world. It's the other ones we have to watch out for.

In closing, I just want to tell you, as Paul Harvey used to say..."the REST of the story". The morning after I got the first responses from my very first note to this website I called up Nationwide and told them that I did not want them to move me because they were on the BLACKLIST of this great website and lots of people "who know" things about them warned me against using them. The guy argued and got fairly angry over the phone with me, and after I told him to "save your breath because you are NOT going to change my mind", he said..."ABF is going to overcharge you in the end TOO!" ... and then he hung up on me.

HA! I WIN for a change.

When we got to Oregon the truck arrived and we opened it. We CAREFULLY removed the ABF WALL and not one box was out of place. Nothing was broken. Nothing. But when I unpacked a vase, I broke it. That's it. I was totally amazed. We just got our bill from ABF, and it was $162 above the estimate. That's it. No BS. The drivers were very personable. Not saleslike, not negative. Nice guys. They drove the truck through a big winter ice storm that lasted all week. No problems.

And tonight, 2 weeks after the move. Here we are all comfy and warm in our new home, and I read the followups from my own note that night about that company...not too pretty. Sorry, people who used them.
But I hope others will learn from all this.

Remember to READ and do your homework through this site first.
Remember to listen and check on all the things they tell you to do.
Remember to ASK around trucking places and see if you can hire a professional loader to work for you for a day... or get an angel to help.
And remember those KINEDYNE SAFE-T-LOKS bars. They just go across the truck from wall to wall and they have a lever on them that you jack out until it's nice and tight and secure. They keep the load from shifting.
Great idea, and very affordable. I'm not a salesperson, I'm a very happy mover who succeed because people out there really CARE about other people in this modern world.

And thank you to the folks from ABF who were honest and straight forward. I just want to suggest to you to offer those BARS to your users, though. It's a common inexpensive way to do the job right...like the PROS do it.

Thanks again. Thank you to all who helped me.

Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Holidays to you all.

Tim Donahue
now of Redmond, Oregon

Post #2 - 11/21/05

The plywood WALL that ABF supplied was pretty warped, and it comes along with a disclaimer...reading to be more of a "divider" to separate your load from the rest of the commercial space on the truck than any form of support. The bars were much more versatile, in that, while the bottom of my stack of things came out to the 14'-9" mark, the top of the stack was about 2 to 3 feet back of that, so there would have been empty space at the top...therefore, the load could shift more at the top. Some of the more delicate/lighter items were packed at the top, and if they are allowed to shift around, they will be damaged.

The professional man that packed them also said that with a big "blind wall" of plywood like that provided by ABF you often can't tell what condition things are in behind it, and, as you release it, you can get what the moving people call "movers' avalanche", so you must be very careful. You are supposed to release the top of one side first and gradually pull back the wall to see what is going on. If it begins to slide, you could ge hurt. No one else ever mentioned that as I could recall in the readings.

[Editor's note by Diane: I just want to clarify for others reading that this there are load bars attached to the plywood wall or bulkhead that is supplied by ABF (see ABF review #17 for a photo). However, people have reported many problems with the bars and I had problems myself. The top bar malfunctioned and we couldn't dislodge it at destination. My helpers dislodged the bottom bar first and then they were able to kick the plywood to loosen the top bar. (I had been afraid that we would have to crawl under the plywood to unload everything.) But the downside is that I myself encountered the "movers' avalanche" that this poster describes. My helpers were off the trailer doing something else and the goods started to come down on me. I felt like the Dutch boy with the dike and believe me, I yelled pretty loud for help. Leakage and the bulkhead bars are definitely the weak links in the ABF trailer operation. That's one reason that they developed the mobile storage containers, I think--to get around those problems.]

As it was, with the extra bar behind the wall at the top, and another midway, there was no way for the things to shift apart as the truck jostled. The other thing different from moving trucks and these ABF commercial trucks is that they are not built in the same way...meaning that they don't have as much wall supports and tie-off points so you can't prep portions of the load as you put it into the truck.

We bought two nylon load straps with 800 lb weight stress and tied them off midway to help support the upper portion. They can be ratcheted down to tighten them up nicely. But the professional man said that if the load began to shift, those straps would snap. The bars will not. He said he normally puts anywhere from 3 to 5 bars into a load to keep certain things from shifting.

If they were supplied by ABF, you could RENT them, making the cost better. When you unload, you would just leave them in the truck for the return. ABF would make money over and over on them, and the users could save money. Insurance claims would be down. Overall, everyone would end up happier...and safer...upon opening the truck for unloading if the separate bars were supplied for order, like the ramps are supplied.

People can look on the web to find more bars if they seem to need them, even if ABF doesn't end up offering them...the reader's should at least know about them being available, and the cost, and the actual NAME of it, maker, etc, so here goes: KINEDYNE part # 10085 SAF-T-LOK made in China (of course, nothing is made in US anymore) #36.99 each. the bar is a piece of 1.5" steel pipe 7'-6" length (unextended) with a 16" ratchet-type geared handle to extend the length to around 9 feet across the truck's width. http://www.kinedyne.com/interiorvan/saf-t-lokbar.asp along with other items. I also see some bars for sale around the world on the web.

If you have an order that uses HALF the truck (14 feet of a 28 foot truck) then the ramp is FREE and ABF is supposed to have a ramp available for you at BOTH ENDS of the shipment. We were told that at the Oregon end of the trip that there would be NO RAMP available for some reason. We tried to secure some sort of a ramp from U-HAUL or from some trucking firms in the area before the truck arrived. No one had a ramp for us to rent. As it was, I talked to the terminal people in Portland, where the truck arrived before it was assigned to come out to our town, and they backed the original deal, getting a ramp for me. So, one came in the truck at both ends.

The upper passenger side front corner of the trailer roof had been damaged by prior use, and it had been repaired, and marked "good for water/agua here". But we found two places where we could see straight through. The metal was cracked and hadn't been welded to seal it. It was probably stable enough with the repairs, but it still had some holes.

A slight amount of water still came through on the right side of our load, but the tarp caught most of it and we did not find any damage to anything. We had packed a big (inexpensive) soft rug over there, just under the tarp, to soak up any moisture. It worked. Our big expensive stereo cabinet just below that did not get wet.

We wrapped the tarp over an 8 foot extension ladder (unextended), pushed the ladder horizontally up the pile to the top, and forced it between the trailer walls at the nose end. The tarp hung down over the load that way and we were able to unroll it in stages over the top of the load like toilet paper as we loaded the truck. Incidentally, getting an object like the ladder into the truck at a "later time" during the loading process could end up costing you some real money, so figure out how to get those LONG items in early...ACROSS the truck if necessary.

The only thing we found that could be called "damage" was related to jostle of the truck...movement of one item against another during the ride. It can "saw" into softer items. The cabinet had a bit of that where the metal of a chair edge jostled against the wood...but it was on the back side of the cabinet. The rug was and other blankets were clipped onto the front side to protect it. I did that part myself before the professional loader arrived. He approved of my work before he started. I was simply following the excellent video that was provided showing how to PACK and how to LOAD.

[Editor's note by Diane: Although the ABF video is pretty good, there are a few problems with it. "Fred0844" has pointed out that "they load a love seat on the floor on its feet and then pile boxes on top of it. The weight of the boxes over any distance will cause the springs to compress. Sofas and love seats should be loaded on end with the feet to the wall." Fred also points out that the ABF video shows cartons being packed too loosely. Book boxes, especially, should be packed solid with paper stuffed in any crevices. And the stacked boxes themselves should have soft material stuffed between them--there shouldn't be any empty spaces.]

The ABF experience was a very good one for me, but it could be improved easily...with better/more tie-off places readied in the trucks, and with separate BARS provided for rental...up to 6 would not be out of the question, it appears. The TARP is requested by the ABF people. We followed their lead. We spent plenty of money in packing and prepping things, buying boxes and packing material from the U-Haul in our area. We probably spent about $200 on all that. Tape, bubble wrap, shrink wrap to hold things together, boxes, and dolly rentals. But it all paid off. Little or no damage. But I think the LOAD BARS are responsible for that more than anything else.

Maybe I just got lucky to have that man come by. I could have done it all myself, but I probably would have had more damage without his expertise and the suggestion of the extra bars. I was being careful, making things "fit together" as much as they showed in the video, but sometimes you just can't. Putting four boxes together is easy. They all have square sides. Putting a chair or a lamp between them is different. Something is going to give and cause a problem. That's where all your SOFT MATERIALS...blankets, rugs, clothing, rags, furniture pad rentals, and garbage bags filled with paper or popcorn material come into play. And it works, if you know that. It won't work if you don't know that, because you won't fill those areas.

That's the other thing I learned from watching him work. He was fast. He was smart. He turned things around, checked the "heavy side" of things and put them forward, etc. He put the HEAVIEST SIDE of things toward the front [nose end] of the truck...for instance, he picked up a box and held it out in front of him and felt which side was heavier, turned it and stuffed it into the hole. he said that makes a lot of difference in how the object "shifts" during the jostle. Smart guy. Professional. Worth every penny to find someone like this to help you load a truck if you've never done it before.

But most of my thanks goes to this website. Without it, my move would have cost me thousands of dollars more...and my experience would have been a nightmare. It turned out to be so nice. I can't believe it. Thanks to all of you many times over.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6584

leshakes (#45)

Re: 45 reviews of ABF U-Pack (38 good/4 neutral/3 bad)

Postby leshakes (#45) » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:36 pm

[Editor's note by Diane: I am re-posting this review from Epinions because it describes a "live load" in Seattle. It was posted on 12/5/05 at http://www.epinions.com/content_212955598468/s_~na ]

Date: 11/05
Move: Seattle to NY
Cost: $1650 for 1BR apartment including piano

POSITIVE EXPERIENCE

Pros
cheapest service, minimal damage if you pack well, on time.

Cons
only 1 hour loading in city, forgetting to order ramp at destination, rub marks on unprotected items

The Bottom Line
good deal for the money if you can pack your own stuff well.

Full Review

i picked abf upack as i was tight on budget, and willing to load and unload all of my belongings myself. i also had some heavy furniture that would have made it expensive for a move price based off of weight. for a minimal 1 bedroom apartment, plus 8-foot sofa and piano, i paid a total of $1650 to move from seattle to new york. this was half of what all other full service ops were quoting, and only $200 more than renting a uhaul capable of towing my car.

one downside - living in seattle city limits abf is not able to drop off a truck on a city street and leave it unattended. therefore, they make the driver stay with the truck, and you have 1 hour to load it. every additional 15 minutes is $30. this made it very difficult to load and pack carefully or efficiently since we felt rushed. with 6 people total helping, we were able to load, pack and place the bulkhead in 1hr20min. the driver was nice enough to set up the ramp and bulkhead for us.

our belongings arrived without any major damage, such as water or fire or severe breakage. i warn you, this truck bounces and shakes a lot during the drive - protect your stuff with blankets, ropes, tarps, etc. or you will have serious rub marks over everything. also pad your boxes well - everything seemed compressed by the time it arrived from all the bouncing up and down. we unloaded our belongings at a storage place, so we were allowed the luxury of two days with the truck. this definitely made it much easier to unload.

be sure to ask for a ramp at destination location though - we forgot and had to lift things off by hand. all things considered, i made the right choice using abf upack.

Diane

Re: 45 reviews of ABF U-Pack (38 good/4 neutral/3 bad)

Postby Diane » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:17 pm

UPDATE on Scott W.'s dissatisfied review #43 above - my contact at ABF U-Pack has just informed me that Scott’s claim was paid in full on 12/21/05. I am omitting the amount but it was sizeable. Just one more piece of evidence that ABF is a company that acts with fairness and integrity when it makes a mistake.

Frankp (#46)

Re: 46 reviews of ABF U-Pack (39 good/4 neutral/3 bad)

Postby Frankp (#46) » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:24 pm

Date: 12/05
Move: San Diego to Denver
Cost: Unknown for one mobile storage container

I rented an ABF container to move from San Diego to Denver. I used a truck at both ends to deliver/pick-up my goods at the terminals, so I can't comment on their local service but the overall experience was excellent - personnel on both ends were helpful and responsive and I saved significant $ over using a mover. I also prepaid for an additional month's storage in Denver because I didn't have a place to move into yet. Kudos to whoever at ABF thought of this!!

Hap (#47)

Re: 47 reviews of ABF U-Pack (40 good/4 neutral/3 bad)

Postby Hap (#47) » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:45 pm

Move: Arizona to Minnesota
Cost: $1770 for 10 feet

I unknowingly signed up with a scammer, and the truck they sent was too small so I had to also use a "U-Pack" trailer from ABF Freight. Everything went very well with ABF. My wife used more linear feet than she thought so the charges increased from $950 for 5 feet to $1770 for 10 feet, but the trailer was dropped exactly when they said it would be and I found the employees very helpful and courteous.

See this thread for background - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6853

mbs (#48)

Re: 48 reviews of ABF U-Pack (41 good/4 neutral/3 bad)

Postby mbs (#48) » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:23 pm

Date: 12/05-1/06
Move: Cincinnati, OH to Berkeley, CA
Cost: $1475 for 1 mobile storage container delivered door-to-door (including $125 for optional liability insurance)

I went with the door-to-door ABF container system for a move across the country. ABF picked up the container in OH on December 20th and it actually was available for delivery 1 week ago (but I had to schedule placement of the container with my landlord and that took a week). I just got my container delievered today and everything is perfect. Nothing broken at all, very pleased.

I did spend a LONG time packing the container and tieing everything down. Appears nothing shifted during the move.

Again, I'm VERY pleased with ABF. Very friendly the entire time, very prompt delivery and I would not hesitate in recommending them to anyone.

micheone (#49)

Re: 49 reviews of ABF U-Pack (41 good/4 neutral/4 bad)

Postby micheone (#49) » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:43 pm

Recommended: NO :evil: ; long transit time and had water damage to goods because of unnoticed roof leak
Move: NJ to Oregon
Cost: $2000 for 9 feet

My husband and I contracted with ABF for 9 feet of trailer space from NJ to OR in December 2005. The shipment was promised in 7-10 days. We received the shipment 17 days later. Several of our boxes with papers from our business and clothing were water damaged, along with an expensive oak TV console. A leak from the roof of the trailer apparently had been there before we ordered the trailer.

We contacted ABF with this issue and they are unwilling to pay any more than $2.00 per pound for damages. We are currently awaiting the results of BBB arbitration with ABF as we incurred close to $1k in damage which ABF freight will not pay. Their customer service is extremely poor. We have not received any followup from ABF, except their response to our BBB complaint.

We highly recommend NOT using this moving company. No money was saved here from us doing it ourselves. This company could care less about our issue. It is also clear that they do not inspect their equipment on a regular basis. The SIGNIFICANT water leak should have been fixed before rental.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7017

[Editor's note by Diane: I notified my contact at ABF about this complaint. I learned that one problem was that the poster was initially using an incorrect email address for the people at ABF so her message did not reach the proper parties. A delay settlement has already been paid and the claim for water damage is under review. I will try to post an update later on if the poster does not do so herself.]

[UPDATE by Diane on 2/7/06: I am re-posting the following update posted elsewhere on this messageboard.
micheone wrote:2/6/06 - To All Interested:

ABF U-Pack made a partial refund of $500.00 to be applied towards damages. Although it does not fully cover our damages, at least ABF made some effort in good faith to resolve this complaint.

-Michelle
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1833#51833

My contact at ABF told me that this $500 was in addition to a $100 "delay" refund and that the customer seemed satisfied.]

gray10504 (#50)

Re: 50 reviews of ABF U-Pack (42 good/4 neutral/4 bad)

Postby gray10504 (#50) » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:07 pm

Recommended: yes :D ; planning to use them again in April 2006
Date: 2005 (posting delayed)
Move: PA to FL
Cost: Unknown for unknown number of feet

I'm excited to be using ABF again. I used them last year for the move here (after reading the recommendations on this board!) and was very pleased. And the price cannot be beat. I was considering going with Penske for this trip because I have someone around to drive the truck this time... but it would have cost me close to $800 more to go with Penske.

My husband's deployed in Afghanistan (I'm moving back to our homestate for his homecoming, actually) . . . I've packed (well, I've supervised ) an ABF trailer before and was able to get everything in my allotted space without going over and very minimal damage to my stuff.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6932

CA to Tampa (#51)

Re: 51 reviews of ABF U-Pack (43 good/4 neutral/4 bad)

Postby CA to Tampa (#51) » Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:26 am

Date: 1/06
Move: CA to Tampa, FL
Cost: $1560 for unknown number of feet

Went terminal-to-terminal. Very pleasant, professional folks at both ends. Went about 2 1/2 feet over my estimate, the guy could have charged me for 3 but rounded down, saving me $$.

When I picked up my stuff in Tampa, they had left a small ramp in the truck for me to bridge to my Uhaul with. I hadn't even asked for one.

Quite happy with all aspects - very professional, no damage (thanks in great part to my excellent packing job :wink: ) and saved me tons of money.

I do recommend bringing a stepstool or small ladder with you if you are going to load at the truckyard. Pack tight!

cayce (#52)

Re: 52 reviews of ABF U-Pack (44 good/4 neutral/4 bad)

Postby cayce (#52) » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:12 pm

Date: 2004 and 2005
Move: LA-Vancouver and then Vancouver-Atlanta (2 moves)
Cost: LA-Vancouver $3,200 for 28 feet and Vancouver-Atlanta $4,500 for 28 feet

[Topic title: Two Great Moves with ABF]

My husband and I have moved twice in the last 19 months due to a schooling stint in Vancouver BC. We moved from LA to Vancouver and from Vancouver to Atlanta using ABF. We love them and would never move with another company. . . .

We completely filled their 28 foot trailer both times (not even room for the bulkhead) and had Canadian/US border crossings with both trips. Our LA/Vancouver move cost approx. $3,200 and our Vancouver/Atlanta move around $4,500.

We hired day laborers to help us carry our furniture and boxes and my husband completely supervised the loading. I have a lifetime collection of antique furniture and glass and we had only two small items broken total in the moves.

The key to moving with ABF (or any mover really) is to pack very carefully! We moved most of the glass and china in plastic bins instead of boxes. They can be gotten fairly inexpensively at Target and can be used afterwards for years. We used lots of bubble bags, newspaper and peanuts as well. We also wrapped every piece of furniture completely in moving blankets and shrink wrap. You can buy the blankets as well as other moving supplies in bulk on ebay and get a much better deal than in a store. This might all sound like a lot of work, but moving is hard on your things and there's no way to prevent breakage except careful preparation.

The second tip for ABF is to pack the truck as carefully as you pack your breakables. Put all your heavy furniture on the bottom and move up to your lightest most fragile items. You have to pack so that there is no space for your items to shift. Tight packing is the only way to go. Again, it's a bit of a puzzle and takes a lot of time, but it's worth the effort. If you hire people to help you move, don't let them dictate the truck packing. No one will understand the value of your objects as well as you do. Also, periodically, strap or bungie cord a section to the inside of the truck. This will help a lot in items shifting.

Overall, it seems to me the only way to eliminate the worry about the corrupt moving industry is to use a u-pack service. We've had great luck with these guys and they bent over backwards to help us with border logistics and space issues.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7128

jehh (#53)

Re: 53 reviews of ABF U-Pack (45 good/4 neutral/4 bad)

Postby jehh (#53) » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:42 pm

Recommended: yes :D; trailer was in poor condition, however
Date: 1/06
Move: Long Beach, CA, to Dallas, TX
Cost: $1800 for about 14 feet (plus the ramp rental was extra)

Post #1 - 1/14/06

City to City wants $2500 for 3 boxes
SmartMove wants $2800 for 3 boxes
PODS wants $4300 for one big box

The cheap brokers are as low as $1800 for 3500lbs of stuff, but I don't think I trust them...

Starving Students, who I thought was good, but not so sure now, wants $2200 for a full service move for 3500lbs.

Penske wants $2600 for a 26" truck, that is with the 10% discount... UHaul wants $3400, but said they would match Penske.

We're moving next Friday, the 20th, so we lack time to get into this much...

What should we do? We have a 2 bedroom apt with a reasonable amount of stuff in it, nothing really fancy, just don't want our stuff to not show up...

Post #2 - 1/16/06

I have ABF bringing two containers tomorrow afternoon, hopefully this all works out! :) . . .

Ok, I've changed it around a bit, but I'm starting to get the jitters about this...

They are bringing the 28' trailer on Wednesday, because my wife and I are not convinced it will all fit in the two containers, and with the trailer we don't have to sweat that last foot of room. It is about $127 per foot of trailer room.

Post #3 - 1/27/06

Overall, it was OK, but the ABF truck was in fairly poor condition, and the load shifted during the move. Nothing major was damaged, and the load was packed pretty tight (we used moving helpers).

Oh well, I suppose you can't win them all. :)

That being said, ABF said the load was just under 5,000lbs, and when you add up what we spent, it would have worked out the same either way. We paid about $1800 to ABF, then add in the pad rental, moving help on both ends, and ramp rental, and it came to about $2,500.

Full service movers, such as Starving Students, would have been about the same, with less hassle, and an unknown amount of risk. Never did get a quote from one of the majors, such as Allied or North American, didn't have time.

If I had the whole thing to do over again, I'd have bought a 16' trailer to tow behind my Tahoe for $3,000, and owned the thing after it was all said and done. Then my cost would have been about $3,700, or $1,200 more than the move as it was, but I'd have had a trailer for future moves.

Such is life... :)

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7009

[Editor's note by Diane: note that the poster's actual weight was about 5,000 pounds rather than the dubious companies' estimate of 3,500 pounds.]

Return to “Reviews of Companies Endorsed by MovingScam”