mobile

San Diego movers

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

San Diego movers

Postby GreenSpark » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:37 pm

Recently I used Bartle Brothers to move my furniture out of storage to my new apartment. The owner had told me they would assemble my bed and dresser, but on the move day, the moving guys said they didn't have the tools to do this. I said I was unhappy about this and therefore would not tip them. Then the mover replied "You look like you need the money, anyway." I called the owner and told him what happened, and he said he'd talk to the guy. I said he ought to fire him. He said he wouldn't fire him because he'd been working for him a long time, so he was supportive of an employee who was rude to a customer. What kind of way is that to run a business???
GreenSpark

Re: San Diego movers

Postby donatsts » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:55 pm

sorry for the bad luck with your driver.
assembling a customers bed from storage that we did not unassemble is sometimes tough given the fact that the first mover may not have saved all hardware and parts may not be consolidated to be easily located,ie; attatching bolts to rail and so on. that being said most real movers who take pride in what they do would be happy to assemble anything youd like. more so if you are paying by the hour. most will ask if youd like us to set up to give you the choice.
the fact your guy had no tolls , as he stated , is an indication of the level of professionalism he performs at.
as to attitude, no need for comment here, he's laid out his lack of respect for you, the person who paid his rent for the day, for all to see.
hopefully you did not exaggerate the claims you have made and also at this site your average customer may tend to omit their own attitude problems as if they are all the best people to work for in the world.
anyway, as if what you said was accuraute you were treated below average at best.
hopefully you were able to put the items together.
don
don,owner of so cal moving company
donatsts

Postby Diane » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:53 pm

donatsts wrote:hopefully you did not exaggerate the claims you have made and also at this site your average customer may tend to omit their own attitude problems as if they are all the best people to work for in the world.

Thanks, Don . . . this is something important to keep in mind in evaluating all customer complaints on this messageboard. We are hearing only one side of the story. However, I would have hoped that the owner would at least have apologized for his workers not having the proper tools.

GreenSpark, thanks for your comments on Bartle and IMS and I've added them to the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby farrah7031 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:41 pm

Did you have it in writing they would assemble any furniture upon delivery?

Here's their BBB report. If you didn't get the resolution you wanted, you could complain to the BBB and they might help you at least get an apology.
http://sandiego.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report. ... m=30001172

Bartle Brothers Moving Inc
5965 Cirrus St
San Diego, CA 92110
farrah7031

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:25 pm

We just had a situation like this on Saturday. We were hauling a shipment for another agent who had disassembled everything and we picked up (not sure of the exact reason we were hauling it). Upon delivery the shipper asked us to reassemble items we didnt disassemble. We advised the driver to make contact with the booker and authorize extra labor or to have a third party company come out and do it at third party charges. We didnt have the driver talking back or anything as this person did, but when the driver isnt the one to disassemble things, generally they wont put it back together due to liability and the issues describe before.

I agree the crew shouldnt have mouthed off, but the shipper shouldnt have mouthed off about the tip and so on.
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget
Michael

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:20 pm

Michael is right...

And sometimes the item disassembled requires special tools. We had a shipper get indignant the other day when we delivered her shipment, and she had a bowflex that had been completely dissassembled. I don't think it was broken down that completely when it was shipped.

Well, not having an instruction manual, or pictures of the bowflex when it had been assembled the crew told her they wouldn't attempt to reassemble it. When asked who disassembled it she said she hired a pro to do it.

So it's not always the crew's ineptitude or lack of proper tools. To reassemble something you have to have an idea of what it looked like before it was taken apart.

This dresser and bed may have had allen screws or other hex head types. I would expect this is a small company, and the crews probably only have basic tools.

The crew man should have held his tongue, but I wouldn't expect an owner to fire a worker for an isolated case of rudeness. I'm sure the worker was brought on the carpet and reprimanded.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:58 am

The problem for me here is this:
GreenSpark wrote:The owner had told me they would assemble my bed and dresser

If the owner hadn't promised, I would see no wrongdoing here, but he shouldn't have promised and then failed to perform the service.
Diane

Postby bartle1984 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:27 pm

This message is in response to GreenSparks complaint that she was scammed during her move. She wasn't scammed in the least. First we went out and gave her a written estimate with a not to exceed of 510.00, her final bill was 297.50. Second, I did promise to put her things back together; however, she failed to mention to you and myself, the fact that she couldn't find the hardware to put the stuff back together. After my driver left she called me and told me that my driver refused to put the stuff back together, and told me that I lied to her about putting her things back together. I told her to hold on and that I would call her right back. I immediatly called my driver and told him to go back and put the stuff together. He then informed me, her hardware was nowhere to be found. I called her back and she acknowledged that was correct. She then informed me of what Ron said and told me to fire him immediatly. I don't fire anybody at someone elses whim. I need to find out the whole story. She also failed to tell you guys that I offered to come out to put everything to gether, she declined. Later after she found the missing hardware in one of her packed boxes, she decided to take me up on the offer. I came out the same day she called, at a time she requested, put her stuff together and took away some of the bigger trash items that she was unable to handle. All of this was at no charge.
Finally if the driver in fact said that, I apolagize, however; after reading her letter and knowing the lack of truthfullness she exibited , I doubt that was said by my driver.

Below was her response that she had put.

Recently I used Bartle Brothers to move my furniture out of storage to my new apartment. The owner had told me they would assemble my bed and dresser, but on the move day, the moving guys said they didn't have the tools to do this. I said I was unhappy about this and therefore would not tip them. Then the mover replied "You look like you need the money, anyway." I called the owner and told him what happened, and he said he'd talk to the guy. I said he ought to fire him. He said he wouldn't fire him because he'd been working for him a long time, so he was supportive of an employee who was rude to a customer. What kind of way is that to run a business???
bartle1984

Postby Diane » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:21 pm

Thanks for giving your side of the story, Chris. I've updated the Superlist accordingly.
Diane

Return to Open Community