My rave for a local moving company (CA)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Amalia

My rave for a local moving company (CA)

Postby Amalia » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:01 am

I have been meaning to post this for ages. As the mom of four little ones, it seems like everything I mean to do falls to the wayside. But this is a testament to a great company I am glad to finally take the time to post.
Several years ago, my husband and I undertook a large move from San Francisco to the central coast of California. At the time, I did tons of internet research (including this site, BBB webpages, etc.). I had heard so many horror stories, I was pretty scared to choose. But with me being pregnant, I knew we couldn't go it alone. I finally just went with a company my mother in law had been telling me about for months. She and my father in law have lived in San Luis Obispo for nearly their whole lives, and had this company, Meathead Movers, who they swore was a local home-town success story, two athletic brothers started it from scratch, etc, etc. When she first started "suggesting" (you know how subtle mother in laws can be) them, I was, to say the least, skeptical. The name alone--eek! However, as it got closer to our move, and the more bogged down I got with moving chores, I just gave in. You cannot even imagine my surprise on move day--four truly clean-cut, "jock-ish" young men showed up 25 minutes ahead of time. I think my DH was a little intimidated cause these guys were very cute, and very buff, LOL! They proceeded to do a thorough walk-thru with me, and even took the time to wrap my Nana's vanity on the spot when I told them it was the one thing that really mattered to me. At the time, I thought they were just intimidated by the large pregnant lady, but as I have used them time and time again, I've realized this must be part of their training. Once they had a grasp of exactly what we wanted, they then proceeded to actually RUN up and down the stairs whenever they weren't carrying any of our boxes or furniture. I swaer to you, at this point I called my sister just to tell her about my movers! Haha ;) The rest of our move went smoothly. It's not just that move that I wanted to share (since this site has been so helpful, I feel like the more the better!).
We've used them 3 more times (to move to a more kid friendly home, and then a couple times to just move overflow to storage) and each time the guys have been the same: so friendly, professional, strong, and most importantly, competent. Sometimes I see the other movers that come to my neighborhood, and I can't imagine having them in my home without my husband there. ugh. Well, I do hope this is helpful to anyone in California. I feel bad for not posting this sooner, cause I really want it to help everyone here, especially other mothers who may be stressed about the moveing experience. Also, I must admit, I have a 4 month old due to awake any moment, and sometimes doing stuff online is what keeps me up till the next feeding. Take care, HTHS.
Amalia

Diane

Re: My rave for a local moving company (CA)

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:17 am

Hi - thanks for these good comments about Meathead, which I'll add to the Superlist.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Barrick

Postby Barrick » Sat May 10, 2008 10:51 pm

I had the exact opposite experience with Meathead Movers. 4 boxes of my possessions went missing over the course of my move. I have filed a complaint with the authorities. I hope everyone here can learn from my mistake. This company is not trustworthy!

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat May 10, 2008 11:30 pm

Well, Barrick, the company has held their interstate operating authority uninterrupted since 2001 and has no complaints of any kind filed at the FMCSA’s Protect Your Move website http://tinyurl.com/5g72oz . The BBB gives them a AAA rating and, if you check out the trophy room of their website, most of the residents of tri-counties area tend to rate their service pretty high.

Why would you expect the authorities to become involved in a missing item claim unless the circumstances indicated a theft? If that’s the case, then it was probably carried out without management’s knowledge. Have you filed your claim with Meathead?

The guys at Meathead Movers are excellent local and intra-state movers. Even though they have interstate authority, they restrict their activity primarily to the surrounding states. Rarely do they make it to the Rockies. Most of their equipment is straight trucks. Customers with larger households might find themselves being moved in two or three different vehicles.

Last year the Steed brothers opened a second office in Camarillo. They have their sights set on San Diego next.

Barrick

Postby Barrick » Sun May 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Rick: do you work for Meathead movers? Please see my post about my experience in another thread. I can assure you that the BBB will be receiving my complaint very soon.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Mon May 12, 2008 8:50 am

No, rick does not work for Meathead. He's an industry professional.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:47 am

Just a note that this bad report by "Barrick" was later discredited. See http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16154
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”