mobile

please help me chose a moving company

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

please help me chose a moving company

Postby cheerful_purry » Wed May 21, 2008 11:38 am

hello,
I wish to move at the end of the month and have gotton over a dozen estimates, they all differ alot. I need a full service move from NJ to IL. so far i have narrowed it down to 3, the first 2 companies sounds good, i have read good reviews on them. the third i'm not sure about, please help.
1st two are: JD Carton & sons (Address: 125 E Halsey Road
Parsippany, NJ 07054 ) & In & Out moving services (Company ID: 7004530).
3rd company is meyers moving & delivery (vanlines) or they are also called mayflower. I have read alot about them on your website and I'm totally confused, how ever BBB says its satisfactory.
please tell me which company is the best, i need to move by this may27 and today is may21 already. i have really good quality furniture and have alot of decoration stuff, leather sofas etc and i want a good company to do this. Also dont wanna pay a million $$. please reply soon. thanks
cheerful_purry

Re: please help me chose a moving company

Postby MusicMom » Wed May 21, 2008 11:43 am

Which of them came to your house to see everything to be moved?
MusicMom

Postby farrah7031 » Wed May 21, 2008 11:46 am

Are one of these the In & Out that you're referring to?
http://www.movingscam.com/cgi-bin/BLRep ... ?compid=27
http://www.movingscam.com/cgi-bin/BLRep ... compid=468

Have any of the companies come to give you an in home estimate?
farrah7031

Postby BillAdams » Wed May 21, 2008 1:38 pm

Find out which ones have dates available for you. You are now in the 11th hour for a move happening on one of the last days in May. I believe most movers will be booked up or close to it.
Bill Adams
Finding good people is worth the effort you make.
BillAdams

Postby cheerful_purry » Thu May 22, 2008 10:56 am

hey,
i'm not sure if you guys got my reply from yesterday. since than, I have got tons of quotes. of which 2 companies came to the home. but omg basic moving had the most terrible quote; 1 bedroom full pack was $6,765.00 can you believe this. and they were so pushing & even till today they are so pushing with email and calls. and they even hunt me down on this website. and now i'm trying to go with in & out moving. please give me advise. thanks Tanya
cheerful_purry

Postby MusicMom » Thu May 22, 2008 11:20 am

Terrible as in $6075 is expensive, or cheap? Don't choose only based on price, unless you want to be a life-long member here.
MusicMom

Postby cheerful_purry » Thu May 22, 2008 12:16 pm

hey everyone,
I have had 2 companies come to my home: mayflower "meyersmoving" (although they came but didnt give me an estimate, said they will call but didnt its been several hours), second was basic moving that came to my place and OMG their quote was $6,765.00. I only have a 1bedroom apt and its not the largest, i mean its NJ for Gods sake. Plus their insurance is only .60 per pound. and the sales person was so pushing, extremely loud & took forever to do a 1bed room appartment.

Now talking about the In & out moving, whose estimate was great, but as per you guys suggested (link below) is very scary.
cheerful_purry

Postby farrah7031 » Thu May 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Do not even consider In and Out.

Try calling University (Atlas) or Moovers at www.mooversinc.com
farrah7031

Postby cheerful_purry » Thu May 22, 2008 2:21 pm

hey farrah:
I just gave them the deposit, what do i do now? but over all they gave me the best price and service. and please suggest any moving insurance company that will give me a good $ and good service, since our company isnt paying for this we have to pay for all. thanks please reply soon.
thanks
Tanya
cheerful_purry

Postby farrah7031 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:29 pm

You cancel the move. Don't they have something that says if you cancel 5 or 7 days before the move you get all your deposit back?

You claim they're the best price, which they might be - for now. But when it takes over 30 days to get your things and/or they charge you 2-3 times as much to deliver your goods, that's not the best price. Definitely not the best service. They're giving you unrealistic expectations.

If you go with a reputable company, most of them provide additional valuation for you to purchase.
farrah7031

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 22, 2008 2:39 pm

Why would somebody come to a consumer friendly website whose main goal is to steer people away from crooks and thieves, and then after hearing about a known scammer, go ahead and book with them anyway? I guess P.T. was right.
ArchieWhite

Postby farrah7031 » Thu May 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Unfortunately we can't make people listen, we can only guide them. I'd do just about anything to make sure no one else had to go through what I did 2 years ago. Actually yesterday was my "Hell-Move-a-versary"
farrah7031

Postby BillAdams » Thu May 22, 2008 5:57 pm

Oh well, looks like we may have lost one here. (Every minute, Archie)
For anyone looking to hire a reputable mover from now through October, start getting in-home estimates 6-8 weeks ahead, and book your dates 4-6 weeks ahead.
Bill Adams
Finding good people is worth the effort you make.
BillAdams

Postby cheerful_purry » Fri May 23, 2008 2:31 pm

hey thanks all for the advise, I really appreciate it. but by the time i got to the net, i had worked with the companies and i'm on a last min move so dont have much choice. Plus every other company that i got an estimate with was extremely greedy and didn't even provide me with good service to begin with.

I have to say that Basic moving and Meyers (so called mayflower) are the worst. Basic was extremely pushing, and when i tried to back them off by saying I have chosen someone else they got worst and demanded to know which company I was going with. Plus they are keeping track of my online msg with you guys. so I dont know who to believe.

& talking about Meyers (mayflower) was the WORST service, I was on the phone with the gentleman "TJ" and he was supose to send someone to my place to do the estimate at 3pm: 1/2 before the estimate he called to say he's stuck in traffic and will not make it, and will come tomorrow around 1pm. Well come next day no call, no show. I called TJ and the said he'll get a hold of him and again took forever for him to come. finally a man came to do the estimate and said TJ will call/email me the estimate. again 2days later I get a call from TJ this afternoon: when I told him I've picked someone: his tone changed, demanding to know who did I chose and why. So I said "we picked someone who gave me a good deal & service" but kept asking me questions so I said "please thanks for your call I have chosen someone". with that being said He started screaming "you wasted our time" then I hung up. so he called back with a blocked #, my husband took the call and he demanded to talk to me. My husband said man we picked someone stop calling and hung up. then he called again with a blocked caller id. my husband picked up and he said nothing. then called again then my husband said if you call back i'll call the police and finally after that he didnt call.

but omg what an afternoon.
Farrah: I really appreciate your help. but i'm too stressed out and just gonna hope for the best with this.
thanks all i'll write back once i'm moved. AH
cheerful_purry

Postby MusicMom » Sun May 25, 2008 11:31 pm

Basic, I hope you are learning from how your customers perceive your "entusiasm". Tone it down if you want to keep getting business.
MusicMom

Return to Open Community