mobile

Poor experience with Atlantic Relocation Systems in Tampa, FL

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Poor experience with Atlantic Relocation Systems in Tampa, FL

Postby mama4jc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:44 pm

I just moved with Atlantic Relocation Systems in Tampa, FL this past month and man, was it a nerve-wrecking experience. I had actually chosen them because they were the ones that actually showed up to the estimate on time with no excuses and returned my calls. And I even picked from the "good list" posted here. Sigh. Anyhow, after I decided to sign with them is when it all fell apart.

I signed with them mid-June for a early July move because I was planning to be out of the country from mid-June to the end of June. My move was assigned to an Autumn who had little experience and who was just filling in for someone who was on maternity leave, as I later found out. She really tried to help but could barely answer any of my questions and just either put me on hold to ask someone else or told me some standard schpiel that didn't really answer my questions. I was also assured that free boxes would be no problem by the sales agent, Mark Macquire, but after not hearing from him for almost a week, I finally got a call back, with him telling me he just didn't want to give me the bad news that there were none at the office that week. Okey. This was all before my vacation.

After I got back, I had a week to pack since I was moving the following Monday. I had already ordered my boxes from elsewhere so I didn't have to keep waiting for free boxes. I then call on Tuesday (the week before my move) just to make sure everything was going well when I found out that the person originally responsible for my move (Raquel) was back from maternity leave. I think to myself, great, someone that can really help. However, after talking to her, I realized that she had no idea who I was and that I had already signed a contract. She couldn't give me any info re: my move but assured me everything was ok. She told me she would call me on Thursday at the latest to let me know when the movers would arrive since they're not opened on Friday to due the 7/4 holiday. I received no such call. So at this point, I had no idea if and when the movers were going to arrive on Monday. Fun stuff. I had also caught a mistake on my estimate and called Mark to get it fixed but didn't receive any call back til a few days later. He told me he would call me to schedule a meeting to sign an amended estimate. Nope, he never called back again.

Now it's Monday, Moving day. I call the Tampa office bright and early around 8am when they open and no one picks up. I leave 2 messages in hopes that they would call me. But about 15 minutes later, the movers show up at my door. Yay! So I promptly forgot about the Tampa office. Then at 1pm, after the movers had taken all our stuff, the office calls to let me know they haven't been able to reach the movers but hopefully they will show up today. Really?!?! I had to be the one to tell them that they have already arrived and did a great job. Sheesh. I thought I was done with that office but it gets better.

The movers were in contact with me throughout the process and got to my new home on the day expected. They were all ready to unload when they realized they forgot to verify that I had paid. Doh. I had given the office my credit card info a while back (which I now regret) but I was sure they must have charged it by unloading day. With the company that moved me down to FL, they called to charge me as soon as they knew how much everything weighed. But I didn't expect nor receive such a call from the Tampa office. It turned out that they had never charged me (I had checked my credit card statement online the night before) and made the movers wait a good 45 minutes to "find my file and check on the status". Finally, we were able to get our belongings. Anyhow, I plan on calling the corporate office to let them know of my experience when I get a chance. What an experience!
mama4jc

Re: **Poor experience with Atlantic Relocation Systems in Tampa, FL

Postby smatwilly » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:37 am

I guess Im having a hard time understanding why it was so awful? Sounds like it went pretty good to me--other than a few misunderstandings & unanswered questions--they picked up on time, delivered on time & Im guessing the price was what they quoted you---

A company on any "good list" can still have some minor flaws--when you are handling thousands of pounds of furniture daily even the best companies with the best referals can have an off day--we are not all perfect 100% of the time---- :cry:

I think your move sounds like it went pretty well---I really hope they dont give the company a bad rating because you were only 95% satisified vs 100%. :roll:

(sorry, I just have a hard time when someone expects a move to go absolutely perfect & its close but not quite & they complain.....) (my bad) :oops:
smatwilly

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:50 am

Communication could have been much better, but overall, your move itself went fine, right?
Last edited by MusicMom on Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
MusicMom

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:55 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby rydog444 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:17 am

I agree with just about everything that was said here, however, I wanted to add a couple things : 1. In the dead of summer, and we all know how hard we try for it not to happen, but, there will always be miscommunication in the industry. 2. There are some special circumstances here. Most of the problems arose from the fact that a C.S. rep was on maternity leave. I think all of the problems come from that. Kind of an understandable, if not excusable, offense to me.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.
rydog444

Postby ArchieWhite » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:31 am

On Time, Under or on budget, minimum damage = good move...end of story
ArchieWhite

Postby smatwilly » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:53 am

Archie--agreed! Although we all know in this business even the best move will not be good enough for some people---we all get them now & then. :lol:
smatwilly

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:09 am

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby promover2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:18 am

She also didn't get the free boxes she was promised. I know the agency and the salesman. He used to work for me years ago and lacked customer services skills. I also hired a stellar salesman from this agency earlier this year who left because the place was "unorganized." Overall, it sounds like they could have communicated better, but not much harm (except for the boxes you had to buy) was done.

I am always weary about people who plan vacations right before or right after a move. It's never a good idea. I think this is a good topic to discuss. Don't plan on going away a week before you are scheduled for a large move. Most people underestimate the time they need to prepare for a move. Also, don't plan to go away right after your things are scheduled to be delivered on an interstate move. It can turn a simple delay into heartache for everyone. If you can avoid it, do not go away on vacation right before or right after you relocate.

Do any of the other pros agree?
promover2

Postby smatwilly » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:26 am

promover--I agree completely! Vacations are actually stressful before & after-----It always amazes me when someone says they are getting back from vacation a couple of days before there move!!!
smatwilly

Postby mama4jc » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:35 pm

Very interesting replies to my post - I am rather surprised at the response. I wrote simply to let people know my experience, so other people can be aware of what happened during my dealings with this office. I would have liked to know if this happened to someone else before I had booked with them. I also feel the need to answer some of the things brought up. But, I'm not looking for sympathy or for people to agree with me. My experience is simply my experience.

Maybe my experience with Wade Odell Wade tainted my expectations because it was indeed a flawless move. It was around the same time in the summer but I had excellent communication throughout the entire process and got my stuff on time. I also got all that was promised. So was it really too much to expect call backs from a moving company when I had questions? Isn't good business mostly about communication and following through on what was promised? Why would I give my money to someone when I can't trust what they say? Would you? Was it really too much to expect a call about when the movers would arrive and if they would arrive on the date expected? That is really a biggie for me. And for all those that are saying the "miscommunication" and lack of communication was not a big deal, are you saying that it is the industry norm and that you wouldn't mind dealing with that if you had to move?! I did not comment on Atlas (the parent company) themselves because I feel like this experience, I want to assume, was entirely office specific. (Even the driver was surprised at how disorganized the office was, compared to the others he had worked with.) Otherwise, they would not be as big as they are now. Honestly, I would not use this office again due to my experience. Would I use Atlas? I'm simply not sure.

And since so many of you had commented on how stressful vacations can be, in and of themselves, I wanted to say that I totally agree. I also want to clarify that it was the only time that we could have gone abroad - there were no tickets available at our price range at any other time and hubby's grandfather had just passed. I really would not have arranged it back to back like this if given the choice, esp since I'm also pregnant (please no comments on how stressful moving can be when you're pregnant). But we had plenty of time to pack because I had planned with the vacation in mind. Truly, the vacation was not an issue. I've moved 5 times in my 5 short years of marriage, so I have an idea of how to plan out my move. And this lack of service I've never encoutered.

It is true that I did get all of my stuff but is that all that matters? I also felt like I actually got my stuff due to the fact that my family was on top of things and called periodically to check up to make sure things were getting done. I don't know how many times I've had to correct my estimated date of move and such. I won't go into details since it doesn't seem like it matters much here. Please, if this forum is only for successful moves or really horrific ones, it should state that somewhere on the main page.
mama4jc

Postby rydog444 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Basically, what those of us in the industry are trying to say, is that we all understand the potential for the types of problems that you had with your move to happen. NO MATTER WHAT COMPANY YOU USE! Is that okay, absolutely not! But that doesn't mean that it doesn't and won't ever happen. Movers go from a call volume that is dramatically increased in the busy summer months, and there are often cases where the attention that every customer wants and needs get neglected. Could've happened no matter which great company you used. And every great company has had this happen to one or some of their customers.

We are just looking at the big picture. The number one job of the mover is to move your things safely and timely and for a competitive and reasonable price. I think this was done. Everything perfect? No. Overall good move? You say no, I feel yes.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.
rydog444

Postby promover2 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:00 pm

mama4jc wrote: Please, if this forum is only for successful moves or really horrific ones, it should state that somewhere on the main page.

Yes, the site is called "MovingSCAM.com." No one is discounting what happend to you. It's just not a scam. You weren't treated appropriately, and if it were my agency I would pull the salesman and the move coordinator into my office and chew them out. Maybe you built up your story too much with your opening sentence, "...it was a nerve-wracking experience." I think we were all reading with expectations of the worst.

It is true that you were needlessly put in an uncomfortable position, but you didn't lose your belongings or an enormous sum of money...which is good. I think I can speak for everyone who commented here, we in no way were downplaying what happened, but I don't think anyone should lose their job over it. That said, you are completely entitled to voice your criticisms which we welcome here, I just don't think poor communicaiton is indiciative of a company that is out to scam people, and as an owner of a company in an industry where word of mouth is everything (especially with the internet these days), I wouldn't want my company portrayed that way because of a salesman or a coordinator who didn't follow up with you. We all drop the ball once in a while, but the intent of this website is to prevent people from becoming victims of a scam, and I don't think you were. You were a victim of lackluster service at best, and the intent of my original comment was to highlight that.
promover2

Postby ArchieWhite » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:37 pm

Communication is the problem to the answer ( who sang that?)
ArchieWhite

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Next

Return to Open Community