mobile

Moving from FL to NC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from FL to NC

Postby shutterbugmom » Tue May 27, 2003 8:38 pm

Are there any reputable movers based in south FL? We are moving in July and it seems like all the crooks are based in FL. We have quotes from Superior Moving and Storage and US-1 Vanlines ($1400 difference in the two and I wonder why such a huge difference) and were planning on getting quotes from All-Pro van lines and American Van lines but I see their names on the black list. I don't know who to use now.
shutterbugmom

Re: Moving from FL to NC

Postby Rebel » Wed May 28, 2003 12:33 am

shutterbugmom,
Please post more info pertaining to your quotes from Superior and US-1. For example: DOT#, MC#, address, phone number. We'll be able to further help you then since there are a couple Superior Moving & Storage companies in Florida and the only US-1 I could find in the safersys database was out of New York. If you don't have the info, go ahead and call the company and at the very least they should be able to give you their DOT# and their address should be on the quote.
Rebel

Postby Bob Murphy » Wed May 28, 2003 6:01 am

Shutterbugmom, I would be happy to send out one of my salespeople to give you you a estimate for your move. you can call me at 954-752-7366.
I generally would not do this on this site but you are in the same area as we are, so you might as well have the benefit of getting a good move at a fair price.
thank you
Bob Murphy
Coral Springs moving & storage

Mr. Walker, if this presents a problem for you please let me know.
Bob Murphy

Postby twalker » Wed May 28, 2003 7:03 am

Bob,

I'm not going to remove your post, but please do not do that again. MovingScam.com does not endorse or support any one moving company over another, and advertising your own company is just tacky. Are you planning on putting the proceeds of the clients that hire you from your advertisements here back into this web site? See now that would at least show that you're trying to give something back instead of just take away from this community.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby Josh » Wed May 28, 2003 7:50 am

Tim,

That is a very good point. If I ever book a move from this site, I will donate hmmm, half of my earnings. (kids gotta eat you know)

Obviuosly most people aren't here looking for business, but if it happens to come my way, I definitely will give back!
Josh

Postby Shutterbugmom » Wed May 28, 2003 8:57 am

The DOT# for Superior is 837931. I think the DOT# for US-1 is 207376. We have already decided not to go with US-1. They gave us an estimate based on cubic feet instead of weight and I have read that you should not hire a company who gives estimates based solely on cubic feet.
Shutterbugmom

Postby twalker » Wed May 28, 2003 9:12 am

Shutterbugmom,

Superior is licensed and insured for interstate moves, and has never had any problems with revocation. They are also a member of the American Moving and Storage Association - note that the AMSA and I do have differences of opinion on several issues regarding the moving industry, but I would rather use an AMSA member than a non-AMSA member.

My only issue is that they have a different address listed with the FMCSA than they do with the Florida Division of Corporations (there may be a valid reason for this). Also, they have been in business since 1994, but according to the FMCSA, they received their operating authority in 1999. I did notice that they had filed a name change with the Florida Division of Corporations, and that may be why the authority is so recent but that was in 2002. I wouln't walk away from Superior, but I'd be asking them more questions.

Also, make sure you read the article on this web site regarding how to find a reputable mover. You can find that article here: http://www.movingscam.com/news/findmover.shtml

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby Rebel » Wed May 28, 2003 12:33 pm

From what I can find,
2055 Blount Rd
Pompano Beach, FL 33069
is an actual physical address of the company Superior Moving which is a plus in any aspect. It's better than a P.O. Box or a Mailboxes Etc address.
Rebel

Postby packing up » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:40 pm

i have a quote from summit vanlines for an upcoming move to Daytona Bch from Hollywood. I see that the company is on your black list but I'm not finding any complaints or specific problems in any of my searches. Perhaps you can fill me in on why they would not be a good choice... I'd like to see my things again and am thinking about calling that bob murphy for a quote :)
packing up

Postby Josh » Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:45 pm

Packing Up,

I can just tell you this, if they are on Tim's Blacklist, you WILL be scammed if you use them.

If you don't take our word for it, you WILL be scammed.

If I were you, I would follow the steps on How to Find a Reputable mover on the home page. If you follow the advice, you lessen your chance of being scammed by 1000%.

Good luck.
Josh

Postby Tyrone » Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:09 pm

Summit Van Lines is an alias of U.S. Movers, one of the all time worst offenders which was recently fined over $30,000 by the DOT for a myriad of offenses including an established pattern of pulling the classic scam. They have also had their DOT operating authority revoked. Both Summit and US Movers are also blacklisted over at MovingAdvocateTeam.com.

On paper, Summit is a different company than US Movers. If you were to ask them I'm sure that they will insist that they have no connection to US Movers. They may even claim that they have never heard of them! However, both companies share the same physical address, phone numbers, and personnel!! And somehow, customers who "hire" US Movers commonly report that it is Summit who actually shows up to do the move, and vice versa. What a frickin' joke.

By the way, neither company has the federally required DOT broker authority that is needed to subcontract out jobs like that. Bottom line: RUN from Summit as fast as you can.

To give you an idea of how bad a company has to be to draw a DOT fine, the DOT is so overworked that they only fine 2 or 3 companies per calendar quarter. (There are only a couple of DOT investigators that between them must handle all the moving complaints for the entire country). So they only go after the movers that are confirmed the worst of the worst. There is no "official" number of complaints that will trigger an investigation/fine but my understanding is that the companies that get investigated have all received over 100 complaints from victims reporting the classic scam. There is absolutely no justification for hiring Summit, US Movers, or any of their other aliases or "partners" that exist as paper corporations with no DOT operating authority and no tangible assets.
Tyrone

ll

Postby cguess » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:56 pm

Please DO NOT use that company. They are a nightmare and have refused to pay us a penny for everything they broke and it was a lot. They have 45 complaints on the BBB and if you put their name in google you will see tons of complaints against them on rip off report and other sites. I lost years off my life with the move. They lied and disappeared with our stuff for days. If you move over a weekend they have NOBODY to answer a call. We had the drivers number (luckily we got it before they took off) and he would just pick up and hang up on us because they were 3 days late. Stay away
cguess

Return to Open Community