mobile

**Moishe's vs. Chelsea Moving

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

**Moishe's vs. Chelsea Moving

Postby tipikny » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:27 pm

I am moving within NYC. I have good furniture and I want to make sure that it's been taken good care of. Moesha and Chelsea Moving gave me comparable prices...although the former guaranteed the price. (I am still waiting to hear back from Chelsea Moving on the guarantee)
The rep from Chelsea Moving seem to be closer to the field operations and knew what he was talking about in terms of how to move the furniture. On the other hand, the rep from Moesha's was more polished, and since it is a larger and more institutinalized company, there seemed to be more of a procedure.
There seems to be in general good reviews about Moesha but not many people know about the other company. Thouh I've read some good reviews about Chelsea on other sites. Does anyone out there have any thoughts on which one I should consider?
Thanks!
tipikny

Re: Moesha vs. Chelsea Moving

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:41 pm

Hi - the only good report that I could find on Chelsea (MC #299239) was on www.citysearch.com, and it sounded fake. The testimonials on the company's website at www.chelseamoving.com are all very old, and they also sound fake. Where did you see other positive reviews? On the plus side, the company has been in business for a long time. On the minus side, it has a very high driver out of service rating (50%). The long-distance arm of the company, Chelsea Van Lines (MC #408681), has only 1 truck and 2 drivers and a 100% driver out of service rating. The national average is less than 7%.

Although I never thought I would come out in favor of Moishe's, I think it would be a safer choice for you in this case, if you're considering only these two companies. (I think there are better choices - see the Epinions article linked to below.)
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby tipikny » Tue Jun 14, 2005 9:55 am

Thanks Diane. I read positive things about Chelsea Movers' on citysearch and one other site which i cannot recall. unfortunately i am moving next week - it was a last minute decision. Therefore not everyone was willing to accomodate me and at this point it is too late for me to call the companies reccomended in the Epinions article.
Based on your recco, I've decided to go with Moishe's. I'll post a review once the move is over. And I am hoping it'll be a positive one ;-) thanks!
tipikny

Postby onthelookout » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:33 am

Not sure where to post this. I just found this site, as I am moving back to NYC after a 3 year hiatus in NJ. I used Chelsea Moving & Storage when I was living in the city for a small 1 bedroom move from a 1st floor E. 60s apt to the low W 80s (6th floor townhouse walk up). I would NOT recommend them. It was a horrible experience that I'll never forget and made me vow to never use movers again: they were four hours late, charged $200 more than quoted (yes, I made sure I mentioned the move-to apt was a 6th floor walk up), and were extremely slow and unfriendly- I was in tears by the end of the night. The ordeal started at 6 pm- supposed start time, and finished about midnight. To top it off they discarded some boxes under the stairs in my new building. Their website *looks* inviting, but please BEWARE!

*edit: I know this is an old topic, but this company deserves to be on the avoid list.
onthelookout

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:30 pm

I'm sorry you had a bad move with Chelsea. Who are you using for the return trip?
MusicMom

Re: **Moishe's vs. Chelsea Moving

Postby nyc2chi » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:32 pm

For moves within NYC I highly recommend NY City Van (http://www.nycityvan.com/) I have used them twice (once from Jersey City to NYC and another time for a 9 block move) and they have shown up exactly on time and have been really great guys. Most are pretty young - between 20-30, and have a great sense of humor. Their quotes were very reasonable for the service as well. The last move I made I totally underestimated how much stuff I had and they didn't charge me any more and were really nice about it!

I highly recommend them and would use them for my move to Chicago if I could!
nyc2chi

Re: **Moishe's vs. Chelsea Moving

Postby onthelookout » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:24 pm

musicmom: I think I may use Shea, but I'm not sure if they would come to my area (south jersey, very close to Philly). If it's too far I'm planning to pack it in a truck myself and then have Shea unload. Im going to call them tomorrow, a little nervous...hoping to finally find a friendly, honest moving co after all the disappointments!
onthelookout

Return to Open Community