mobile

Obtaining a permit to park a container on the street in Los Angeles..?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Obtaining a permit to park a container on the street in Los Angeles..?

Postby tasslehawf » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Is it possible? Who do you contact?
tasslehawf

Re: Obtaining a permit to park a container on the street in Los Angeles..?

Postby Rick » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby BigLeeCalif » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Are you talking a small container. i.e. POD/SAM/Packrat?...

Or a 20' or 40' container?
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby tasslehawf » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:56 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:Are you talking a small container. i.e. POD/SAM/Packrat?...

Or a 20' or 40' container?

A 16' Sam container.
tasslehawf

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:52 am

Are you in a home or apartment? My company is a SAM facility, and you have 2 choices. If you are in a home, and have an adequate driveway, the SAM can be spotted in your driveway. We haven't had any problems yet with positioning the SAMs on private property, but you will have to have a level driveway with adequate space as not to infringe on the sidewalk.

Are you loading the SAM and having it taken to the SAM facility for storage? If so, you should try to fill the container in a minimum time frame. Usually we will drop a container one day, and pick it up the next. In some cases drop in am and pickup in pm.

On the other hand, if you plan to have the SAM spotted on the street, you need to make sure to check with the city, AND make sure that you can have adequate space that the driver can unload/load the SAM. If you are on a hill, it's up to the driver where he will need to spot it. Hills are usually problems, and safety is the first concern. You don't want a runaway container. Sometimes people have it dropped, and not block parking, and then the driver can't access the container to reload it. Remember that those containers weigh 4,000 lbs empty, and you can't just move them around like a shopping cart.

Have a safe moving experience.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby tasslehawf » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:02 am

I spoke to the Bureau of Street Services, Inspection and Enforcement Division (city of Los Angeles) and was told it is illegal to place a SAM or PODs container on the street in the city. The only thing you can get a permit for is a container to store construction materials (shipping container size).

My wife suggested calling '311', the city help line - that was the solution.

So I guess we're going to put it on the driveway.
tasslehawf

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:26 pm

I thought there might be some difficulty in putting it on the street in LA. The SAM dealer should be able to spot it safely in the driveway, as long as the container isn't on an unsafe incline, and not blocking the sidewalk.

Make sure you have it spotted exactly where you want it, because you are responsible for any damage caused if you try to move it after the fact.
BigLeeCalif

Postby markfickett » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:45 pm

In Culver City, it requires a permit, which is $50 + $8/day. I have yet to get my permit (so I haven't fully verified the details), but:

- I was told to obtain the permit from the Engineering counter on the 2nd floor at 9770 Culver Blvd (City Hall), which is open 7:30-17:30 (closed for lunch, which time is unspecified).

- I got that information by calling 310 253 5600, having been told: "Information regarding use of the public right-of-way and any required permits, restrictions and/or prohibitions can be obtained from the Engineering Division by calling 310-253-5600."

- I found that number by contacting Sharon Guidry, listed as Enforcement Services Manager on the Culver City contact page.
markfickett

Return to Open Community