mobile

In Home Estimate Question

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).

In Home Estimate Question

Postby beemer889 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:13 pm

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway :) I'm working on trying to find a mover for a local move. All the information I've read has said that you should get an in-home estimate when moving. Does this also apply to local moves or is it interstate moves only? Thanks!
beemer889

Re: In Home Estimate Question

Postby cnoblit » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:46 pm

It applies to all moves.
Christopher Noblit
I'm a Professional Mover
cnoblit

Postby Diane » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:46 pm

I disagree . . . for short-distance local moves, especially small ones, it's common and not a red flag for a company charging by the hour to give you a ballpark price estimate on the phone. Just remember that it is a ballpark and you will pay for the number of hours the move actually takes.

That said, it is always preferable to get an in-home estimate if possible, but during the busy summer season many companies are unable or unwilling to do that for small local moves.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby cnoblit » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:55 pm

Diane wrote:I disagree . . . for short-distance local moves, especially small ones, it's common and not a red flag for a company charging by the hour to give you a ballpark price estimate on the phone. Just remember that it is a ballpark and you will pay for the number of hours the move actually takes.

That said, it is always preferable to get an in-home estimate if possible, but during the busy summer season many companies are unable or unwilling to do that for small local moves.

I was trying to keep it simple. I thought of writing this...

...Unless one has a finite, small, and a very specific and exact list of the articles one needs to move an in-home estimate is the only way to guarantee a reasonably accurate cost estimate. However, should one have a finite, small, and a very specific and exact list of the articles one needs to move most professional movers will be able to provide you with an accurate price over the phone...

But I decided that I was tired and it was better to keep it simple, thus the brevity of my OP.
Christopher Noblit
I'm a Professional Mover
cnoblit

Postby KnowItAll » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:45 pm

As a small mover , I can tell you that I generally do everything over the phone. My moves on average take 8 hrs , To drive out an do an estimate with all sorts of related paperwork other "pro" movers on here say you need ,would probably take 4 hrs. Someone would have to pay for that,I would assume the customer.
I dont even know what a binding estimate thingamabob is....
KnowItAll

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:49 pm

In California, you cannot give estimates over the phone. You can only quote hourly rates and your minimum.

Once you quote a charge, it becomes a not-to-exceed estimate.

You should check the regulations in your state.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby MusicMom » Tue May 01, 2012 4:36 am

Sounds like this guy's a "pro".
MusicMom

Postby NYCMover » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:28 pm

KnowItAll said:
As a small mover , I can tell you that I generally do everything over the phone. My moves on average take 8 hrs , To drive out an do an estimate with all sorts of related paperwork other "pro" movers on here say you need ,would probably take 4 hrs. Someone would have to pay for that,I would assume the customer.

Being a "pro" - to me your quote speaks volumes... :wink:
NYCMover

Postby caseymovers » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:09 am

Absolutely for local moves as well... you want to get three estimates, and not just for the best price either!

Look at the assessment of each company... what is the cubic feet expected and what are they sending for a truck? How many movers are required and how much time? What is the weight?

An experienced mover or estimator should be able to give you all of this information...

By getting an estimate over the phone, you're opening yourself up to liability.

Also, when getting an in-home estimate... don't try and downplay the move either... if you're planning to have a yard sale or sell of furniture... fine... but get an estimate for both what you're PLANNING to take, and get a second estimate for EVERYTHING, just in case. Believe me, moving day comes faster than expected and you don't want to be caught with more stuff on hand than expected...

-Matt

beemer889 wrote:This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway :) I'm working on trying to find a mover for a local move. All the information I've read has said that you should get an in-home estimate when moving. Does this also apply to local moves or is it interstate moves only? Thanks!
caseymovers

Return to Helpful Moving Information