mobile

The dark side of moving part 1

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

The dark side of moving part 1

Postby Movinghelper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:25 pm

For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.
Movinghelper

Re: The dark side of moving part 1

Postby slickmetal » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:07 pm

interested in knowing that name she spoke of at the end ;)
slickmetal

Re: The dark side of moving part 1 & 2

Postby Movinghelper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:20 pm

For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.
Movinghelper

Postby Miami Sean » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:10 pm

I love these articles and sometimes they make great "Hello" emails to potential customers to warn them of the dangers. My only issue here is this woman is sick about losing something "precious" and "priceless" and it seems like she got rooked and crooked but I have moved cross country twice and even using Allied which was paid for by wife's work, we still did not pack anything that we felt was "priceless". My wife kept those "priceless" items with us in the car as we drove across this great country of ours.

Items like jewelry, wedding albums, airlooms(misspelled), none of that is tossed in a box and entrusted to Frankie the Foreman, no offense to the great foreman out there.
Miami Sean

Postby Movinghelper » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:19 pm

Did you happen to read the response link on the page. It appears the company in question did everything they could for her till she received her items.And I agree with you totally on taking your prized possesions. I to owas a victim of that with a company. The only reason they went with the moving company is I was deployed and my wife at that time did not follow through on the do's and dont's. This was a military move and the company was removed from doing any further jobs in the area when I got through with them and the local Transportation Office. It was not the office but a certain person in the office that perpetuated the scam.

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.
Movinghelper

Postby Miami Sean » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:20 pm

North American Van Lines? I expected it to say something like North American Movers or North American Shipping, North American Van Lines? The NAVL? I guess I'm kind of shocked and actually makes the article or story even more interesting.

Again, I don't doubt the customer had a bad experience but I also don't think of movers from NAVL, United, Allied, Atlas, Bekins, Mayflower...not really thinking these companies are in the wrong most of the time...in other words even if the story was really scathing...if it was on one of those 6 companies I listed, I would tend to want to hear both sides before I made any judgement and I'm not sure the media is going to run a feel good story on moving, much more viewership if the story involves theft, damage of property, and ruthless scruples in the back office.
Miami Sean

Postby INTL-GUY » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:22 pm

It just sux that Beltmann is getting bad publicity because of 1 bad move. I think if you’re going to spend time doing a news feed there are some better choices of companies, especially in South Florida.
True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.
-Socrates
INTL-GUY

Postby BigLeeCalif » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:29 am

I agree with Mr. Bettina.

To have one of the top agents of NAVL be in the same article as one talking about rogue movers is a gross disservice.

They did everything except say here's your money back. We'll move you for free. On the other hand, they paid over 5k, so she might have gotten an almost free move anyway.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:38 am

Yeah, it's tough sometimes....Beltman might have only been the 'booking agent' it might have been a NAVL truck who actually caused the problem...What can you do? Claims these days are out of control, people think just because they 'buy coverage' they are protected no matter what....like when they claim 40 year old jukeboxes were working when they were loaded, but don't work after delivery, and a professional repairman said that the jukebox was full of 40 years of grease and dust and junk, but the mover gets a bad rap on MS. Then there's those that complain to everybody they can think of because missing items are declined, yet they signed the paperwork showing they got everything. They should try that at a bank, go back in after they leave and claim they were shorted.
ArchieWhite

Postby rydog444 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:40 pm

She got $1800 of a $5000 claim.

Acting like she has no business to complain is a disservice to the moving industry.

How did they do everything? They fought her for months and denied the whole claim? I'm embarrassed a top agent would let this situation go this far but they brought it on themselves and did nothing to defend theirselves.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.
rydog444

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:11 pm

I don' know where you got your figure but they said they paid out $5400 to her. You should read the link provided in the story, It also goes to show the claim for $2000 in monitors when it was actually $716 for replacement cost for new one that was reimbursed,

3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.
Movinghelper

Postby INTL-GUY » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Undeniably the customer had right to complain and I do agree that Beltmann could have done a better job handling the situation. I’m pretty sure if they knew channel 5 news was going to do a story this would have been handled differently, hindsight is always 20/20. Now keep in mind there are 3 sides to every story and we’re only hearing 1. Although I agree this situation could have been handled differently I disagree that this deserved a news story. Although the old saying is “the customer is always right” we all know that’s far from the truth in this industry, especially when it comes to insurance claims and values. All of a sudden that TV that was valued at $500 is now valued at $2500 and had irreplaceable sentimental value

If this reporter has been following the industry for 16 years as she claims she should have spent time doing a report on the scam/scum artists in South Florida that are really ripping people off.
True wisdom comes to each of us when we realize how little we understand about life, ourselves, and the world around us.
-Socrates
INTL-GUY

Return to Open Community