mobile

Wolley's Movers - looking for info

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Wolley's Movers - looking for info

Postby Teddy_ted » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:02 pm

I searched the site for Wolley Movers, wolleymovers.com but did not find anything. Was wondering if anyone had any info. I am looking to use them (maybe) for a local Chicago move.

CHICAGO'S FAMOUS
WOLLEY MOVERS
(773)761-8330
$60 P/H

They come out to $75/hr for 3 people and a truck + $75 travel fee and 3 hour minimum.

We can move on a week day in 3 week of July.
Teddy_ted

Re: Wolley's Movers - looking for info

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:14 pm

They have had 2 complaints with the BBB over the past 12 months--hard to interpret unless you know how many moves they do. I don't see them listed on the IL Commerce Commission's website, but you could call the ICC at 217-782-4654 to see what they say about them. They may be unlicensed because I don't find them on www.safersys.org either. A Chicago company that has good comments and reviews here is Dels Movers at www.delsmovers.com. See this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3711
Diane

Postby Teddy_ted » Sat Jun 25, 2005 5:17 pm

Thanks for the info. I have been trying to call Del's Movers all week and just got answering machine. Left a couple of messages, but I havent heard back from them.
Teddy_ted

Postby Diane » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:07 pm

You could also look for a high-rated company on www.eMove.com. Some of their movers reportedly have their own trucks. Like Wolley's, many may not be licensed or insured.

You could call the Illinois Movers' and Warehousemen's Association, phone 217-585-2470 or 888-791-2516 (ask for the Executive Director Patricia McLaughlin--she's familiar with MovingScam.com) for suggestions of local movers.

Finally, here is a post from last July that you might want to consider:
mck3a wrote:Here's a totally unresearched recommendation for you...

Last year I moved from one 1BR to another here in Chicago and asked around for some recos from friends. A friend of mine had used this small moving company three times and his sister had used them twice. Aside from what they would consider usual "moving damage" (ie, minor scratches), they were very happy with them. So I rolled the dice and called them. (this was before I discovered this site and knew the steps I should take to protect myself).

The company's name is Lytwyn movers (I think that's the spelling) and it was basically a family shop. Mom took my reservation, dad was the driver and son and daughter plus another dude did the moving. And again, aside from what I would consider normal "moving damage", they were great. I'll see if I can dig up my receipt from the move to get you hard rates, but they were cheap, fast and very courteous.

What I finally paid was more than what I was quoted, but that was because of a problem with one of my buildings shutting off access to the elevators for over an hour. Again, I don't remember the exact numbers, but I remember doing some quick math and the rate they quoted me was within spitting distance of what I paid, had things gone smoothly.

So, with that, take it all with a grain of salt. At the time, I had done zero homework and was simply relying on the reco of my friend. It worked out great for me and for him, but who knows. We could have gotten very very lucky and other people could have gotten screwed. So, take it for what it's worth...

LYTWYN MOVERS
2155 W BELMONT AVE
CHICAGO, IL 60618
(773)348-3078
- http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2030

I researched them at the time and I don't think they're licensed.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:03 am

You could also look for a high-rated company on www.eMove.com. Some of their movers reportedly have their own trucks. Like Wolley's, many may not be licensed or insured.

WAIT A SECOND!!!!!

Diane, are you advocating using an internet portal site to find a mover, and acknowledging that many of those may not be licensed an insured????? Did someone slip something into your Wheaties this morning??? :wink:
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:41 am

This is one of those areas where the website moderators may agree to disagree. Several people moving with ABF and BE have used eMove.com workers for loading and unloading with very good results. Almost all of these "service providers" (as they're called on the eMove website) provide only labor rather than actual transport of goods. They work only locally. Every time I mention eMove I point out that some of them (like many small local movers) may not be properly licensed.

Recently I talked at length with one of the higher-ups at eMove about this situation. He freely admitted that some of the service providers are not licensed and insured. The company is very aware that customers (and MovingScam people like us) are concerned about this--not so much about property damage, because the service providers take care of that since they don't get paid if they don't, but about the potential for liability if a service provider should get injured on the customer's property. (Fortunately this hasn't happened as yet.) The company is actively looking into offering an insurance package that would protect customers against this risk. I'm not sure whether the service provider or the customer would pay for it--Tim may know more.

In my opinion, eMove.com is not in the same category as the bad internet portal sites that we routinely advise against. The company has an online review system that allows customers to rate each service provider. Those with bad ratings drop to the bottom of the list and the best ones rise to the top as more and more people use them. No one can rate a service provider unless he or she has actually used the provider and paid for the services--thus there is a built-in safeguard against bogus reviews. The company itself keeps tabs on the service providers and drops those that it gets complaints about outside the online rating system.

Before dismissing this company out of hand, you might want to look at its website at www.eMove.com to see how service providers are reimbursed and how its rating system is structured. You might also want to examine reviews of service providers in your area. I agree that there is cause for concern, but in my opinion it's better to have customers use a website like this where there are some safeguards (and hopefully more to come) than to have them rely on Craig's List or some other referral source that might be much less safe.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:00 am

I trust what you say, D. I'm mostly teasing.

But as long as the customer goes into it KNOWING the mover has no license and no insurance. When my parents made a local move 5 years ago, they used a compay that had good recommendations by close friends, but the guy had no license. He had applied for one, but never got nsurance. They said they had a great move, and would use him again for a local move. I won't mention the name, since I do not want to be a party to anyone in the NoVA area getting into troubles with no insurance coverage.
MusicMom

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:21 pm

Still no call back from Delsmovers =-(. Called LYTWYN MOVERS and their rates were 2.5 hour minimum, $86/hr/3 people, one-time truck fee $86.

They desire cash paid at end of move.

At this point I am deciding between Wolley and Hunt. I'm going to call the ICC now and ask about them.

Thanks for all the info and solid advice.

Postby Teddy_ted » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:48 pm

According to Tina from ICC:

Wolley: 252 intrastate moves last year w/ 1 complaint from another mover (non-consumer) for advertising. Not sure what that means, didn't sound too bad. Licensed to work in Illinois.

Hunt: 1354 intrastate moves w/ 0 complaints last year. Licensed to work in Illinois.

I made a reservation w/ Wolley for late July. I will let you know how it goes. Thanks for a great, and informative site that helps give consumers some degree of comfort and protection from an industry that I didn't realize was so fraught with peril.
Teddy_ted

Postby Tyrone » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:51 pm

They must have quite a fleet... that works out to almost 4 moves PER DAY for seven days per week for the entire year.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.
Tyrone

Postby Teddy_ted » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:52 pm

I hope I didnt misunderstand the lady at the ICC. She said they collect info over the past 3 years but I thought the statistics she stated for me were for the past year. Maybe they were for the past 3 years instead.
Teddy_ted

Postby Diane » Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:32 pm

The listings that I've seen give the number of moves and complaints for a company during the last calendar year, not the last three years. I'm just surprised that I couldn't find Wolley's listed there. This is the ICC website if anyone is interested in bookmarking it - http://www.icc.illinois.gov/hg/hglist.aspx
Diane

Postby photo1shot » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:39 am

Lytwyn Movers moved me about 2 blocks into my new home the service was top notch, prompt and courteous. The labors where kind and clean and respected my items like they where there's. Lytwyn movers came prepared to work and did so expedited without any damage at all to my belongings or new house. Lytwin even helped to locate the furniture in my house. I would say all in all a hard working happy crew that I would hire again when needed. A+++++++++++++++++++ ALL THE WAY!!!!!
photo1shot

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:54 am

How come you're posting from Ohio?
Diane

Postby photo 1 shot » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:49 am

because my job closed down in Chicago and moved me out here.
photo 1 shot

Next

Return to Open Community