mobile

A SUPREME MOVERS Remember the name of those thieves.

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies

A SUPREME MOVERS Remember the name of those thieves.

Postby hg » Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:28 pm

I didn't have too much stuff to move, I called several companies and this one had a good price and a nice guy came to give us a quote, the quete was $1,000 and we decided to do bussiness with them and he ask for a deposit of 100 dollars, we paid that and the balance finish at $900, they picked up my stuff at the same date they told us but 4 hours late, and they came in a Ryder yellow truck instead of their own truck, so I started to be worried, anyway, the guys took our stuff and we paid half of the balance 450 dollars and also they charge us almost $150 more for 12 rolls of tape and 2 big boxes, I didnt had a choise I had to pay that, they told me that I can call the next day to see the weight of the truck, I called next day, they told to call the next day, I called again and they said that they dont have the weight yet, I called again the July 18 and they told me that I didn't exceed the 2000 pounds that was typed in the paper, so I said ok, I'll see you guys in Florida.
July 21th. they didn't appear, so I thought that something happened and the next day my stuff will be here, July 22nd nothing, I called them and they told that my stuff is on they way and i'll be getting everything the next day, July 23rd nothing, I called again, they said that my stuff will be here by the end of the week, July 25th friday and nothing, I called again, they told me be Tuesday, Tuesday July 29th and nothing, I called again and they told me that my stuff is still in NJ and its going today, so it will be there by Friday August 1st, August 1st. and nothing again, all those days sleeping on the floor, no chairs, no table, no tv, nothing, so I called them and I was very angry and they told me that for sure my stuff will be here sunday, and I said Sunday? and they said yes.
Saturday August 2nd in the afternoon driver called me, he said that he is in florida and he will be here tomorrow sunday 3rd. my soul returned to my body, and he said by the way you have a balance of almost 850 dollars, it was supposed to be 450 dollars but he said it is 850 dollars if you dont have the money I wont deliver tomorrow, so I said I have the money come tomorrow. At that moment I called thos A Supreme movers and I talked to the Dispacher and I asked for those $400 extra and he didnt have an answer, he said im gonna call you back, he didnt so Sunday in the morning I called hin and he was there, and he told me that we exceed the weight, and I told him that was impossible because the other guy said that the weight almost reach the 2000 pounds, and then he said that the driver has that weight invoice and you will see. After a couple of hours the driver called me for direcctions and he came with a huge big truck that coundn't even reach my street, so we told me that the truck is too big and we have to rent a small truck to get our stuff, I was totally pissed off, and I said ok We are gonna do that we have to do, and the driver said that we have 2 friends around with a van and they can help us from 120 dollars including the rent of the van and gas the their work, and I was thinking renting an u-haul truck but i called them and they were closed or didnt pick up the phone, so I said to the driver ok, I paid him the balance of 850 dollars + the 120 dollars, and the van came in 2 minutes, i guess they were waiting around, and we start moving the stuff from the big truck to the van and from the van to my house, the driver didnt move a finger moving the stuff, It was just a man and a women that came with the van, and also we use my jeep cherokee to move stuff too, and I had to help those 2 people. After 3 hours, we finished and I had to sign the papers and guess what, the driver didn't have the weight invoice, so at that moment I called the dispacher in nj and ask for the weight invoice and the said that he is gonna fax to me right away, so I signed the papers and say good bye to the driver. Anyway the truck that he drove it wasnt from A supreme movers, It was from another company.
So after a few minutes a fax came, a blank paper, not the weight invoice. So I called them and It was too late.
I called the next day for the invoice and they didnt have it, they said they re gonna fax it but they didn't. Today August 6th, and i dont have the weight invoice and they have all the money that they wanted to charge me.
A SUPREME MOVERS, remember that name and please add these thieves to the back list.
hg

Re: A SUPREME MOVERS Remember the name of those thieves.

Postby Diane » Wed Aug 06, 2003 10:33 pm

Dear friend,

What sticks in my mind in your sad story is where you say "my soul returned to my body" when you were told that you were going to see your things again.

Luckily it came true, although it was very expensive for you. I'm sure that the money you gave to the mover, you were saving for something else.

People's possessions are more than just "things": they are part of their history and part of their identity as well.

More than two years ago, a nice lady named Wendy Weinberg said this to a group of Congressmen:

"Consumers are being harmed every day and this harm cannot be undone. If you lose your only picture of your grandmother or a special chair that your grandfather made, nothing can replace those items. . . . It is not just a question of losing time trying to retrieve those possessions or lost money illegally coerced from the pockets of consumers. People's lives are permanently marked. [Emphasis added.]

"We cannot afford to wait and there is no excuse not to take action now. I urge you to allow the States to step in to help consumers. They are ready and able to fill the enforcement void. None of us should ever have to take a call from a consumer which ends with ''I am sorry, but there is really nothing either you or I can do.''"

Now it is two years later and still nothing has been done.

If you can, it would be good if you could file a complaint on this website and also send a letter to your Representative or Senator telling what happened to you. If you need help in writing it, put your phone number on this website and I will help you.
Diane

Postby AIC » Thu Aug 07, 2003 10:00 am

More than two years ago, a nice lady named Wendy Weinberg said this to a group of Congressmen:

"Consumers are being harmed every day and this harm cannot be undone. If you lose your only picture of your grandmother or a special chair that your grandfather made, nothing can replace those items. . . . It is not just a question of losing time trying to retrieve those possessions or lost money illegally coerced from the pockets of consumers. People's lives are permanently marked. [Emphasis added.]

"We cannot afford to wait and there is no excuse not to take action now. I urge you to allow the States to step in to help consumers. They are ready and able to fill the enforcement void. None of us should ever have to take a call from a consumer which ends with ''I am sorry, but there is really nothing either you or I can do.''"

Now it is two years later and still nothing has been done.

Rep. Petri, in March, did do something -- he introduced H.R. 1070, the Household Movers Anti-SCAM Act. Wendy Weinberg was the head of the National Association of Consumer Agency Administrators. H.R. 1070 contains the state enforcement authority that Ms. Weinberg and consumer rights advocates all support.

The major van line industry, through its trade/lobbying group AMSA, two weeks ago got a competing bill introduced, H.R. 2928, which they misleadingly call the "Consumer's Relocation Protection Act." This bill is industry protection, not consumer protection, and will only increase the number of scams. This includes the number of scams committed by the major van lines. I myself was scammed by Century Moving & Storage of Lombard, Inc. It is an agent of Mayflower Transit and its owner was an AMSA board member. Mayflower did nothing while Century held my goods hostage for three months, demanding thousands of dollars over my so-called "guaranteed not to exceed" estimate. I know exactly how traumatizing this is. The long and short of it is that these people are criminals, and they tried to defraud and extort me. I am currently suing Mayflower under RICO.

Please write to your Congressmen and urge them to support H.R. 1070 and reject H.R. 2928. I cannot emphasize how urgent the situation is.
AIC

Postby Diane » Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:11 am

Thank you, AIC - I had been wondering what your personal story was.

Do you know whether there are other volunteers on this website who were scammed by the majors as opposed to the smaller rogue companies? Do you have any idea, of the people who post complaints on this website, what percent fall into each category? Also, in view of your experience, why isn't Century Moving & Storage on Tim's blacklist?

When I said to this poster, "Nothing has been done," I meant that no legislation has yet been passed. I was trying to use simple language that he would understand.

Maybe we should reorder the last two words in the lovely name "Consumer's Relocation Protection Act" to create an acronym for what the bill really is.

From my point of view as a newcomer, it would help if you could, in another post, place the language of the two bills side by side (sentence by sentence) so we could see more clearly how the wording compares. I don't mean the whole bill--just the crucial sentences.

Thank you for stressing the urgency of all this. I don't mean to take your energies away from rousing the troops, but am just trying to understand.
Diane

Postby AIC » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:32 pm

Do you know whether there are other volunteers on this website who were scammed by the majors as opposed to the smaller rogue companies? Do you have any idea, of the people who post complaints on this website, what percent fall into each category?

I don't know; you will have to ask Tim W. that.

Also, in view of your experience, why isn't Century Moving & Storage on Tim's blacklist?

Good idea. I will ask Tim to place Centuryof Lombard, IL as well as my origin agent, Admirial Moving & Storage of Atlanta, GA. on the blacklist, as agents for Mayflower Transit, LLC. (Century was the hauling agent.) About two months after I first filed my lawsuit, Century was sued in federal court by a customer who had a "not to exceed" estimate of $1685.00 for his move from Illinois to California. After his goods were on the truck, Century told him his bill was $2609.00, which the customer paid in full at destination. The case is Pietrowiak v. Century Moving and Storage, Inc., Case No. 99 C 7419 (N.D. Ill. 1999).

The Admiral that was involved in my move is apparently not the same company as the Admiral that is the subject of another topic on this message board. The Admiral I had the extreme misfortune of using is a Mayflower Transit agent in Atlanta, GA. Believe it or not, Admiral is currently getting sued in federal court here in Chicago, too. See Neely v. Mayflower Transit and Admiral Moving and Storage, Inc., Case No. 02 C 9347 (N.D. Ill. 2002). According to the complaint, the customer received a non-binding estimate of $3490.35 for his move to Illinois. However, when the movers delivered his belongings to Illinois, they told the customer that the actual price would be $5239.80, more than 110% of his original estimate. When the customer resisted, the movers told him that if he did not pay on the spot, his goods would be taken out of state and put into storage at his expense, and then sold if he did not pay for them within 30 days.

For those who are not mathematically inclined, Century and/or Admiral demanded 154% of Pietrowiak's not-to-exceed estimate and 150% of Neeley's non-binding estimate, on the spot. Century demanded 146% (initially, the price kept going up) of my not-to-exceed estimate, on the spot, and made the same threats about storage and auction, and eventually held my goods hostage for three months until I sought a court order in connection with my lawsuit.

Boy, I guess I picked (and got picked for me) some real winners to do my move. Both are still Mayflower agents. Both were recently awarded the Circle of Excellence Award from "Mayflower corporate" for creative revenue generating. I'm kidding about the last part. Both BOTH of these scam companies are still Mayflower agents. Don't ask me why.
AIC

Postby Tyrone » Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:55 pm

Diane asked the question:
why isn't Century Moving & Storage on Tim's blacklist?

You may or may not be aware of another website dedicated to exposing and stopping the moving scam industry: MovingAdvocateTeam.com. I believe that MovingAdvocateTeam.com was the first site to start blacklisting moving companies. There is a fundamental difference in the way the two sites add companies onto the blacklist. To oversimply, MovingAdvocateTeam.com adds companies to their blacklist at the slightest whiff of impropriety or wrongdoing, at the first credible scam complaint received. They believe in erring on the side of caution, in favor of the consumer. On the other hand, this site (MovingCcam.com) will only add companies to the blacklist after multiple consumer complaints and/or research and/or negative press reports surface about the company. This site also errs on the side of caution, but in favor of the moving company.
Tyrone

Postby AIC » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:17 pm

Are two federal lawsuits against both of these companies, filed by three separate customers, sufficient?

Neeley sued Admiral (his origin agent). Pietrowiak sued Century (his origin agent). I sued Mayflower for my move which involved Admiral and Century (my origin and hauling agent, respectively, lucky lucky me). FYI -- The proper defendant in all of these cases is Mayflower Transit. Coincidentally, all three lawsuits are in the Northern District of Illinois.

Remember, these are just those customers who were determined enough to actually file a lawsuit.
AIC

Postby Josh » Fri Aug 08, 2003 6:27 am

AIC,

I worked for S&H Mayflower in Akron, OH for 2 years, from 1998 through beginning of 2000, they were owned by a company called People's Cartage headquartered in Canton, OH. People's Cartage also owned the Admiral Mayflower you have discussed. People's also owned an Atlas agency in NC and a Bekins agency in SC and a couple more Mayflower agencies.

My father was the regional manager for all of these companies the same time I worked there. People's has since sold their moving companies in Ohio and are as far as I know out of the moving industry. I am wondering what ownership the company was under when you moved.

I do not know all of the details about your move, but do you think the majority of your problems stemmed from your move being underestimated?

Who are you requesting to be "Blacklisted"? If you are going to "Blacklist" Mayflower, you might as well do Atlas, United, Graebel, Allied, northAmerican and all of the other majors. We have all had lawsuits filed against us at one time or another. I am not disagreeing with you just trying to get a better picture here!

Josh
Josh

Postby AIC » Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:52 am

Josh,

The Admiral Moving & Storage that was involved with my move was owned by Ron Sabila during my move. Sabila still owns it and was deposed during my lawsuit.

I am suggesting that only Admiral and Century get blacklisted, as agents for Mayflower. There seems to be agreement even among people who work for the "majors" that, with the majors, you never know what you are going to get. You may get a great agent to do your move or you may get a scammer, and for some reason -- which in my opinion is the Carmack Amendment and the fact that the majors won't get punished for even the worst abuses of its agents, so the van line doesn't need to bother itself with the occasional C.O.D. customer who claims that an agent ripped him off by a few hundred dollars -- the corporate offices of the major van lines aren't motivated to consistently oversee their agents. I am not suggesting that the entire van lines of "Atlas, Bekins, etc." get blacklisted because that won't be useful to potential shippers who use this site. For now (that is, while the state of the law remains unchanged), I think the most useful thing is to blacklist the particular agents which have been the subject of complaints.

Josh, I will not doubt that your particular agency is a good one. I know you spend a lot of time helping people here. But as far as my opinion of "Mayflower corporate office" goes, a major van line is only as good as its worst agent. From my own experience with Admiral and Century, in my view Mayflower Transit LLC is a corrupt organization.

Do not even try to argue with me that there could be some "honest mistake" or misunderstanding with my move. I know what the facts are. Quite simply, the agents involved with my move committed fraud and extortion as blatant as anything pulled by the likes of Advanced Moving Systems and the other smaller, so-called "rogues" -- and Mayflower did nothing but aid and abet them.

Thanks for listening.
AIC
AIC

Postby Josh » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:42 am

Yes, Ron Sibila was and still might be the owner. Doug, his son is basically the person who runs the show though. I do not work for Mayflower now and it doesn't bother me who get's blacklisted. Your point is valid, if we see repeat complaints about a specific agent, the blacklist might be the best place for them.

I can't really speak about your experience because I know Zero details about it but I wish you luck with your lawsuit!

Josh
Josh

Postby AIC » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:56 am

Thanks! I appreciate it.
AIC

Postby AIC » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:53 pm

FYI -- There's a complaint on www.epinions.com from a customer who claims that Century Moving & Storage grossly padded his bill on an intrastate move and employees tried to steal from him.

This has got to be one of the worst moving companies on the planet.
AIC

Postby mmichael » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:00 pm

AIC
I had a few questions for you regarding your lawsuit, mannerisms in which you pursued those event, however did not see where I could private email you. Can you send me an email where I can contact you?
Thanks,
Michele
mmichael

Postby AIC » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:33 pm

mmichael,
You may ask Tim W. for my personal e-mail address. Also, you should know that I am in a unique position to pursue the kind of lawsuit I have against Mayflower. For a whole host of reasons, what I did is impractical for most people.

On another topic:
I see now that the complaint against Century Moving & Storage on epinions.com has been "deleted." But apparently the same intrastate shipper "Dave" posted a message on this website back on May 22, 2002. Here it is:

I experienced the following from Century Moving in Lombard, Illinois:

- A bill that was almost double what I was quoted and almost $1500 more than their low balled quote
- Damaged goods
- Screamed at in 4 letter words by the owner and threatened by court action when I offered to split the difference
- Hour and a 1/2 lunches listed as 1/2 hour
- Falsified start times, finish times, lunchtimes, and mileages
- No Bill of Lading
- Rude and obnoxious movers
- No more than 2 of 5 movers working at any given time
- Attempted theft of personal property until we caught them
AIC

Postby AIC » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:38 pm

One last note -- it will finally become very practical for customers to sue the interstate movers who scammed them and held their goods hostage once H.R. 1070 passes. Have you written to your Congressman to urge that he or she support H.R. 1070? Also, make sure that you tell him to reject H.R. 2928, which is the AMSA-supported bill that will pretty much gut any consumer protection a shipper can hope to have because for one thing it makes a joke out of the 110% rule. Please write today!
AIC

Return to Report A Scam