mobile

Thomas AAA Movers (JK Moving) vs. Rental Truck with Loaders

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Thomas AAA Movers (JK Moving) vs. Rental Truck with Loaders

Postby guest » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:08 pm

Hello all,

I am moving from Alexandria, VA to Ft. Wayne, IN the last week of July. I will be moving a small 1 bedroom. I looked around on the message board and found only good things about JK moving, which Thomas AAA Movers works with. I'm thinking of going with Thomas AAA Movers, but they will cost a bit more than renting a truck. So here are my questions....

1-does anyone have experience (good or bad) with an out of state move with Thomas AAA Movers (I only saw one post on this thus far).

2-I read alot of the postings on the rental truck stuff. As a result I will never use a uhaul truck again! I would have to go with Penske. If I do this I will have to rent a truck and move my things into a storage place for 9 days, and then rent a truck again to move my things to my new apartment in IN. Each of the 2 times load/unloading I would have to hire at least a 2 man team becasue I can't do the it myself. Thus, my other question is does anyone have any ideas on what factors I should look at to make this choice (MOvers or Rental truck)?

One question I also have is does anyone know from past experience who much time it would take to load a 10 ft truck? I had been planning 2 hours, but I think that is wrong. Please help! Thank you all.

Danielle

Re: Thomas AAA Movers (JK Moving) vs. Rental Truck with Load

Postby Don't Shoot » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:26 pm

No experience with Thomas...

Re: loading the truck; a 10' truck should hold about 3500-4000# - given this it should take about three hours for two guys who hussle provided your apartment isn't a mile from where the truck parks.

One of the problems you find with small trucks is loading a sofa, that you can't stand it up on end so it chews up the linear space of the truck and makes it difficult to load around it. If you can, build up a wide tier with sturdy items and then set the sofa atop of that.

When contemplating renting a truck vs. using a mover, take the more static costs such as lodging, food, fuel (miles/10 = gal. x 2.25), insurance, truck cost (miles + daily), labor cost (both ends) then add in the variables such as personal injury (medical, loss of work), uninsured damage by hired laborers. Not to plant the seed of fear in you, but what would happen if you hurt yourself or if your favorite piece of furniture was broken by a day laborer? Would you have saved any money? It's easy to say I knew it was going to be fine...when it goes fine.

The problem is, you can't unmove and do it again the right way.
Don't Shoot

Postby Diane » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:31 pm

So you have only a 9-day period when you would need storage? Rather than hiring a full-service mover (how much did they quote?) or driving a rental van and using mini-storage, you might consider using ABF--either the new storage containers or the regular trailer.

I think you might be a good candidate for ABF's mobile storage containers. You could load the containers (probably you would need two of them) at the ABF terminal near Alexandria and unload them at the terminal near Fort Wayne. The service might not be available in your area, but it would be worth asking because I think ABF might not charge you for the few days the containers would be held at the destination terminal. Here is the page on the ABF website - http://www.upack.com/moving-services/mo ... tainer.asp

I think your best bet would be to call a company from www.eMove.com to see whether they could drive your things to the ABF terminal, and then another company from eMove to drive your things from the destination terminal to your home.

You could also use regular ABF (without the storage containers) by just loading your things into an ABF trailer at the terminal if the mobile containers aren't available. Again, I tend to think that if you need storage for only 9 days they might allow you to just leave the things on the trailer for that length of time. You probably have about 5 linear feet of goods, which is the ABF minimum, so it should be very economical.

Although it may seem like a big deal to hire workers, actually you would probably need only 2 guys for 4 hours in VA and the same in IN. You wouldn't actually have to do very much--just supervise. It may seem scary but compared to driving a rental and STILL having to hire workers, I don't think it would be.

I think JK Moving merged with Thomas and they are actually the same company now. Your move is relatively short-distance, and I think the company would do a good job for you.
Diane

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:23 am

Hello all again,
(replying to my own post)

Because I can't load/unload myself (bad back), and I don't want to take a chance with a hired team I will be going with Thomas AAA Movers. Yes-Thomas did join with JK. A friend of mine is friends with the old owners of Thomas AAA Movers (before they joined). This friend told me to deal just with the past owners (which I am). They seem to really know what they are doing thus far. I haven't worked out the details just yet, but for now it seems like the move will be in the 2, 000 range. I am going to see if I can get a "fixed" rate (can't go above-I have the correct name of this type of rate some where). I will post again and let you all know how the move went. Thanks for all your help.
Danielle

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:17 am

Danielle,

I'm going through the same thing in a few weeks (Maryland to New York) move, and I have the same dilemma.

Mayflower quote: $3700

Penske: $1200 plus labor (would should be around $500 combined)

Saving $2,000 right now would be extremely helpful, but I'm worried about finding reliable labor (emove or otherwise) in the DC/Maryland area. Our move is Aug 9.

Any ideas?

Scott

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:38 pm

There's a service in MD at www.carolyncleans.com that someone was very pleased with last year. They're listed on www.eMove.com, I believe, or you could contact them directly. I don't think they go into DC or VA. See this thread for more information - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1605
Diane

Postby dw2763 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:58 pm

Hello all,

Well Bad news. Thomas AAA Movers can't do my move (the bigger move I was going to be on the truck with backed out)! I checked into the mobile container with ABF--where I am moving (Alexandria, VA to Ft. Wayne, IN) they don't offer that service. Also, because I need some storage (about 9 days) they also won't work out. :(

I looked up some info on Ship Smart, wright Way, and Box Brothers. It seems that others have said Ship Smart has mixed reviews. I don't want to be stuck without my things for a long time (which has happened with Ship Smart). Wright Way and Box Brothers said they didn't do things out of where I am in Alexandria, VA (thought this was strange?).

I called Moyer and Sons moving company. They seem to have good review through here. But they have a 2,500 lb min which would cost me $2,400 plus some small packing I wanted done. Although I really like Moyer and Sons I was really hoping not to spend that kind of money (given I don't have that much weight-only like 1,500 lbs.). :(

I called called rental truck companies. I was thinking I could rent a truck, pay for extra miles and day, and hire a team of loaders and unloaders. But if the loaders and unloaders drop any of the boxes, etc. they are not covered and I would be out of luck. Does anyone know of how I could get low cost loaders that would be covered by insurance?

Also, if anyone has any kind of ideas about doing my move PLEASE help! I have to be out of my place by 7/31! Please help!

Thank you all
Danielle :D
dw2763

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:23 pm

You could try calling both Moovers, Inc. and Delancey Street on the chance that they might have 3-4 empty feet on a trailer going east-west. Fort Wayne looks to be only about 45 miles south of Route 80, which is the route they like to take, so they wouldn't use that much fuel going out of their way to deliver you. It's unlikely it would work but I think it's worth making a phone call. Search on Moovers and Delancey Street-SF for phone numbers.

It would cost you $1479 to move 10 feet of goods with Broadway Express so it also might be worth giving them a call on the slim chance that they have space in a trailer that's going that way. Be sure to tell them that you actually have only 3-4 feet.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:05 pm

D, I just saw Delancey's truck on 495 yesterday afternoon, so they're currently in the middle of a run.
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:11 pm

Interesting - I've never seen anything other than a straight truck here, and it looked pretty modest.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:29 pm

No, this was a full 53' moving trailer. Didn't see the markings on the tractor itself.
MusicMom

Return to Open Community