Complete move from Washington DC to Europe with Rainier

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
stefanv03

Complete move from Washington DC to Europe with Rainier

Postby stefanv03 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:25 am

All in all it was a good experience and i would recommend Rainier for overseas moving. Read below for additional details.

I won't go into too many details on how I ended up working with Rainier Overseas shipping (this site had a lot do with it), but Doug has been pretty quick to give me a quote and a fairly reasonable estimate of how long it would take to get my shipment. I had a partial container shipment twenty some boxes. The quote has been fairly accurate, the estimate on duration close enough and the company was responsive to inquiries.

I dropped off my boxed at a warehouse in Alexandria (washington DC metro) they crated them and shipped them to Bucharest Romania where i picked it up from customs as I was able to do that part more effectively myself. I specifically asked for a warehouse to warehouse quote due to timing reasons when I shipped and cost reasons when receiving.

A few things you should know though:

- the Cubic Feet quote is based on how big your crate will be and in my case due to some odd-sized items the difference between the two was a little bigger than I expected (120 CF calculated volume for my boxes and 200 CF the smallest crate they could fit them in).

- you will have to pay some local terminal fees that are not included in what Rainier quoted for my particular service - in my case they added about 10% of the initial invoice. Doug said "It is common to have local terminal fees at destn terminal [usually around $40.00/CBM]....and these must be paid by you in local currency, so we can never include them in our rates.".

- you probably want to get some extra insurance for your valuables and that's extra. True, I only had one plate broken from the entire shipment but you never know.

Good luck with your move.

Valentin

Diane

Re: Complete move from Washington DC to Europe with Rainier

Postby Diane » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:20 am

Thanks - I added your review of this completed move to the Rainier reviews on our international moving sticky at http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3987

Be carefull to rainier

Postby Be carefull to rainier » Tue Sep 13, 2005 6:52 am

I think that if Rainier would have been more honest, they would have told you that you would need to pay for those destination charges. Also, professional international movers may include those rates in their contract.

Also, did you requested a dock receipt from them?? They might have cheat on the volume!! Ask them if they have that dock receipt. You might be paying more than the actual volume.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:16 pm

Hi Jack or sorry - Carefull to Rainer or maybe is is Careful of Rainer??

The client said he dropped off his goods at Rainer's agent warehouse in Alexandria so he knew what the cubic feet was he did not need a Dock Receipt as he was present at the time the goods were loaded. As it seems the goods were loaded into a standard lift van which is 200 cubic feet my guess is he wasn't cheat but was treated fairly by a professional international movers.

Again as client says his shipment was Warehouse to Warehouse and not through to his residence door, as is standard practice with a professional internaitonal mover, the local terminal charges would not be included in his quote. You would have been correct if the shipment was Door to Door then they would be included.

James E

Postby James E » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:42 pm

hardatwork wrote:Hi Jack or sorry - Carefull to Rainer or maybe is is Careful of Rainer??

The client said he dropped off his goods at Rainer's agent warehouse in Alexandria so he knew what the cubic feet was he did not need a Dock Receipt as he was present at the time the goods were loaded. As it seems the goods were loaded into a standard lift van which is 200 cubic feet my guess is he wasn't cheat but was treated fairly by a professional international movers.

Again as client says his shipment was Warehouse to Warehouse and not through to his residence door, as is standard practice with a professional internaitonal mover, the local terminal charges would not be included in his quote. You would have been correct if the shipment was Door to Door then they would be included.

totally agree!!!! who was your destination agent?

Return to “International Moves”