mobile

ALERT - avoid Royal Moving & Storage, Inc. (NY area)

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies

ALERT - avoid Royal Moving & Storage, Inc. (NY area)

Postby weso 18 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:24 pm

I'm trying to determing which moving company to use in my move from Connecticut to Florida. After speeking with and researching several companies...I've already determined a few to be scammers. But this company here...Royal Moving & Storage, INC. I can't seem to pinpoint this company being legit or just another scammer. So if anyone of you guys know any info on this company it would be a great help. The info that I do have on this company is US DOT # 1230294 and ICC-MC 486301 This company is located @ 56 48th St. Brooklyn, NY 11232 and also has some other address @ 827 Anna St. Elizabeth, NJ 07201

Someone please give me info on this company...thanks a bunch!!

Also other names of companies you guys know to be legit. to do a move from Connecticut to Florida...im moving approx. 2500 pounds. I do not want a u-pack we drive company...thanks for all the help!
weso 18

Re: Royal Moving & Storage, INC. Scam or Not ???

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:35 pm

This company's phone number resolves to a person named Vilius Antanevicius but I don't see any listing for it in the NY State Corporations database. It has been in business only since late June 2004 and has only 1 truck and driver listed on www.safersys.org. We recommend that you use only companies that have been in business for at least 5 years. Having only 1 truck means that the company would most likely farm out your load to someone else--you have no idea who.

There are many reputable companies that you could use, but what is your budget for this move?
Diane

Postby weso18 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:45 pm

I'd like to be able to do this move for about $1,600.00 give or take a dollar or two. What other companies might your recomend? I want to save money, but I don't want a lack of service either...bottom line is ill pay more if I have to to get service...but I want to see all my options first. Mayflower gave me a quote of 1548 for 2100 pounds. Know of a legit company that can do any better then that? or do a few hundred pounds more for roughly the same price?
weso18

Postby twalker » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:50 pm

Most reputable full-service moving companies will all use the same tariff (400-N or 400-M) so the difference in price will be determined by how accurate the estimate is in terms of weight, and what additional services you are asking for, or are required to perform your move. You should be getting at least three estimates and compare them in detail to make sure that you know what you're being estimated for. All of the estimates should (with any luck) come in fairly close on the weight but look out for someone trying to low-ball your weight to get your business.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:57 pm

If it's Meyers Mayflower you're talking about, don't use it (bad reviews and comments here). One person got a low quote from your area to FL from Bekins White Glove, a company in the Bronx (NOT the White Glove in NJ, which is a scammer). I was quite worried because Bekins is not the best van line, but the move turned out OK. Please read her review because there is a lot of other useful information on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5183

Another thing you might consider is calling Delancey Street-NY to see whether they would go to FL. They have low prices and good quality. Their contact info and reviews are on this thread - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377
Diane

Postby weso18 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:32 pm

I called Delancey Street-NY and they do moves from CT to FL so I am just waiting for them to give me a call back to discuss quote and estimate ect. ect. I was very surprised with all the great comments that everyone had about these guys...they really sound like they are top of the line...I'll let you know what kind of quote they give me for my move and if they are able to accomidate me with moving times. ect. ect. Thanks.
weso18

Postby weso18 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:27 pm

Well the good news is that they called me back, the bad news is that they would not be able to do a move of my nature untill Feb. 2006. So looks like I'll be going with amodio mayflower out of newbritain/hartford , CT I appreciate all the help you guys have been. It won't be till atleast tomorrow evening that I make something def. with amodio mayflower so if there are any other ideas I'd love to here them. thanks.
weso18

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:44 pm

Amodio is not a scammer, but the quality may not be the greatest either. I think it is roughly the same as Bekins White Glove. Just for the heck of it you might want to get a quote from White Glove. It uses a different tariff from Mayflower, I think, which is why its quote might be lower. Here is its contact information -

Name: WHITE GLOVE TRANS. SERVS.
Code: 0649
Addr.: 49-29 METROPOLITAN AVENUE
Phone: (718) 381-2200

You should read Gayil's post about her move with White Glove on the thread I posted above. Make sure that you're talking to BEKINS White Glove, not the scam company in NJ.

:arrow: Note that Gayil had a Binding estimate from White Glove--they didn't even weigh the truck. Whoever you go with, it's very important to get a Binding or Binding Not to Exceed estimate. Since you're looking for a low price, it would be easy for you to be lured in with a Nonbinding estimate where the weight is estimated too low. Then you would have a huge shock if and when the price went up after the truck was weighed. Do not go with a Nonbinding estimate.
Diane

Postby weso18 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:45 am

That phone number you listed comes up as a window repair company or something of that nature. The company that shows up with the listed address you gave me shows as Allstates Worldwide Movers, Inc. Is this the same company that I should be looking into? I'll call amodio mayflower tomorrow and ask them about a binding not to exceed estimate as well...I wasn't aware you could get those...lets just hope that either they will be willing to give me one, or another legit company that will.

Once again....thanks!
weso18

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:28 am

weso18 wrote:That phone number you listed comes up as a window repair company or something of that nature. The company that shows up with the listed address you gave me shows as Allstates Worldwide Movers, Inc. Is this the same company that I should be looking into?

DEFINITELY NOT! I took that contact information from the Bekins Van Lines website at www.bekinslocator.com trying to be absolutely sure that I gave you accurate information in view of the fact that there is a scam company with the same name. If Bekins has inaccurate information about an agent on its own website, I think you should drop the idea of contacting them.
Diane

Postby weso18 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:44 am

Ok...just got off the phone with amodio mayflower. They told me they would write up a new contract that is a binding, & not to exceed estimate for me. 1,695.18 will be my total to move from CT to FL for about 2400 pounds. If my stuff weighs in at less then 2400 pounds...I won't have to pay anything more then 2100 pounds and anything over 2400 pounds I won't pay. I'll be so much happier with a binding, not to exceed estimate....my stress level has dropped already. I here too many times they give you a low quote..yea yea thats only 2100 pounds you have there...come time to weigh in the truck..you really have like 3000 pounds worth of stuff and an extra large bill. So I'll have a piece of mind knowing I have a price that my bill will not exceed. If it were not for you guys I would not have known that I could ask for a binding, not to exceed estimate..cause they sure as heck did not mention anything to me about that. Thanks!!!
weso18

Postby Diane » Fri Oct 07, 2005 9:57 am

Great - your kind of comment really brightens our day. Good luck with the move! (It wouldn't hurt to tell them that you'll be posting about it on MovingScam.com.)
Diane

Postby Guest » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:53 pm

Well...everything all signed and ready to go for next week...everyone keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

Postby weso18 » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:50 am

Well I just want to say that the moving company I chose to go with (amodio mayflower) picked up all my stuff this morning. They almost left my bedframe behind, 2 outside plastic recliner chairs...actually left the keyboard pullout drawer behind from the computer desk..no biggie ill throw it in my car..but not the point. They left one of there large packing blankets here...haha im not complaining about that...my mother could use that for her move...or better yet ill take it to Florida with me so ive got something to use when I move from storage into my apartment. They also left behind two wardrobe boxes, and a few other medium size boxes, and a matress box...again not complaining..all stuff my mother will be more then happy to use..those wardrobe boxes can get expensive..and I know im not being charged for those boxes they left behind cause they filled out a form with what boxes I was being charged for. I hope I get in contact with my mother before she goes and buys more boxes like she said she was gonna do today..they charge 11.00 a piece for them wardrobe boxes here. Well the guys were in and out start to finish in less then an hour and a half so that was good. Now all I have to do is hope everything gets to storage ok and then worry about the hassle of getting the stuff from storage into my apartment. Hey does anyone know any local moving companies in the Clearwater, FL area that would be able to move me from storage to my apartment..which btw is literally across the street from the storage facility. ??? Are there small companies that do moves like that that will not cost me an arm and a legg....say, not more then 100 dollars to move my stuff across the street and into my place. Or am I just in need to find some college kids, or a handyman in the newspaper or something that does that kinda stuff?
weso18

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:07 am

Please call the company to tell them about the leftover things. They may give you the boxes, but I bet they want their expensive furniture padding back. You can give it to the guys that deliver your things.

As for finding someone to move you from storage, why don't you rent a small truck yourself, and hire two guys for loading. You can drive it across the street, and they can unload. You can either call some of themovers tehre in Clearwater, or you can go through www.emove.com or www.laborready.com and they can find the guys for you.
MusicMom

Next

Return to Report A Scam