mobile

Any experience with Arnoff moving company or North American?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Any experience with Arnoff moving company or North American?

Postby ssarkar » Fri Nov 11, 2005 5:30 pm

Hi, I am planning to move next month from Albany, NY to Des Moines, IA. Do you have any experience with Arnoff/North American moving company? Allied did not have an agent, so that attempt failed.

Thanks veru much for any information.
ssarkar

Re: Any experience with Arnoff moving company or North Ameri

Postby twalker » Fri Nov 11, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi ssarkar,

Arnoff has been in business since 1925 and has had a very good reputation, however, we have recently been getting some complaints about them giving pretty high estimates, or requiring that the shipment be weighed prior to the estimate which would be very peculiar to say the least. I think that if you get past either of these barriers then you'd probably be okay, but you should still get estimates from at least two other reputable moving companies so you have something to compare.

One of out other experts, Diane, takes a special interest in the NYC area moving companies and this is what she had to say recently:

Diane wrote:So far, the two companies with the most good reviews on this message board are University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, and Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn. See the Epinions article linked to below for reviews and contact information. There are many other good companies mentioned there.

If cost is a concern, consider using a freight company to move (ABF or Broadway Express) and hiring workers to help load. See more than 200 mostly good reviews on stickies at the top of the message board, plus a FAQ sheet. ABF has a 5-linear-foot minimum and recently BE has also dropped its minimum to that.

I hope that helps, and welcome to Iowa! :D

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby Ruges » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:03 pm

Is a high estimate that bad? (unless it is a garunteed price). Or does everyone want an underestimate with a GTNE? where you get to move a couple thousand pounds for free?
Ruges
Ruges

Postby twalker » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:26 pm

Nope, I would rather have a high GNTE than a low non-binding any day. Of course and underestimated GNTE would be a bonus. :wink:

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby ssarkar » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:48 pm

Thank you so much Tim. The ones you mentioned are around NY metro and NJ. I don't believe that they will serve upstate clients. However, from the University Van lines, I found the website for Mayflower and it seems like they have an agent in Albany. However, I was not able to find any information about the agent at BBB. Should I check for Mayflower or the agent information?

Also, what is GNTE? I know what BNTE is.

Thanks for all your help and your kind message of welcome!

twalker wrote:Hi ssarkar,

Arnoff has been in business since 1925 and has had a very good reputation, however, we have recently been getting some complaints about them giving pretty high estimates, or requiring that the shipment be weighed prior to the estimate which would be very peculiar to say the least. I think that if you get past either of these barriers then you'd probably be okay, but you should still get estimates from at least two other reputable moving companies so you have something to compare.

One of out other experts, Diane, takes a special interest in the NYC area moving companies and this is what she had to say recently:

Diane wrote:So far, the two companies with the most good reviews on this message board are University Van Lines (Atlas) in Rahway, NJ, and Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn. See the Epinions article linked to below for reviews and contact information. There are many other good companies mentioned there.

If cost is a concern, consider using a freight company to move (ABF or Broadway Express) and hiring workers to help load. See more than 200 mostly good reviews on stickies at the top of the message board, plus a FAQ sheet. ABF has a 5-linear-foot minimum and recently BE has also dropped its minimum to that.

I hope that helps, and welcome to Iowa! :D

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
ssarkar

Postby Rick » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:51 pm

Guaranteed Not to Exceed or Binding Not to Exceed. Type either in quotes at the search field at the top of the page and it will return threads with more complete information.

The Mayflower agent in Schenectady is part of Clark Moving and Storage in Rochester. Their Rochester office has been an agent since the mid 80’s and the principles have served on the Mayflower board. The Schenectady office has been in operation about 10 years. Both offices have a great move coordination team.

There are also two Atlas Van Lines agents nearby. http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/find-agent/

The Allied Van Lines website shows that they have an agent in Guilderland Center.
Champion Moving & Storage, Inc.
Northeastern Industrial Park, Building 26
Guilderland Center, NY 12085
(518) 861-0207
http://www.championallied.com/
Rick

Postby ssarkar » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:45 pm

Thank you Rick. I will talk to those companies. Aliied's agent does not do the household moving anymore - only specialty items. But thanks for your time and suggestions!

Sreeroopa

Rick wrote:Guaranteed Not to Exceed or Binding Not to Exceed. Type either in quotes at the search field at the top of the page and it will return threads with more complete information.

The Mayflower agent in Schenectady is part of Clark Moving and Storage in Rochester. Their Rochester office has been an agent since the mid 80’s and the principles have served on the Mayflower board. The Schenectady office has been in operation about 10 years. Both offices have a great move coordination team.

There are also two Atlas Van Lines agents nearby. http://www.atlasworldgroup.com/find-agent/

The Allied Van Lines website shows that they have an agent in Guilderland Center.
Champion Moving & Storage, Inc.
Northeastern Industrial Park, Building 26
Guilderland Center, NY 12085
(518) 861-0207
http://www.championallied.com/
ssarkar

Postby QualityWoman » Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:46 pm

I am also looking into Arnoff for my local move in Woodstock, NY. All their DOT numbers, records, etc. checked out good. I looked into 5 movers and they were the only ones who numbers checked out. They are about $300.00 (25%) overpriced on their estimate.
Has anyone used them?????????????????????????????????????
Thanks
Quality
QualityWoman

Postby MusicMom » Mon Nov 21, 2005 4:37 pm

When you say "overpriced", do you mean in comparison to the otehr movers you talked to? If there is that much of a disparity on prices, then I would venture a guess that the others were lowballing you, hoping you would choose them based solely on price. Since you said Arnoff was the only one whose license numbers checked out, that confirms it. Arnoff's estimate is most likely a good one, then.
MusicMom

Return to Open Community