mobile

Short notice move from NYC to SF

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Short notice move from NYC to SF

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:02 pm

Hi all,

I've gotten great information from this site, but I'm wanting to finalize my move. As I've said before, it's a minimum move (contents of a bedroom). The only thing is I am already in California so I'm flying back for a weekend to handle the move. So it would be difficult for me to strictly use UPS and sell my furniture.

I've gotten several quotes from various places and would love input on which movers.

Seamen's - about $1540 for 2000lbs. Many say to NOT use for long distance moves?
Household/Platinum Van Lines - $1600 for 2000lbs
Prudential Van Lines - $1661 for 2583 lbs.
All Inclusive Moving - $1540 for 2000 lbs.
American Way Van Lines - $1200 for 1750 lbs.
Dahill (Mayflower) - $2500 for 2100 lbs.
White Glove Trans (Bekins) - $2000 - $3000

Thanks in advance!

Re: Short notice move from NYC to SF

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:05 pm

Of those you mention, Dahill would be my choice. Also I suggest that you contact Moovers, Inc. to see whether they may have a truck coming back at the time you want to move. Reviews and contact info are here - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655

Sorry if this is repetitive but I don't know where your previous thread is.

You will be sorry if you use Seamens, and many of the others you mention also sound very dubious.
Diane

Postby BrownEyedGurl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:47 pm

I contacted Moovers, but their next truck won't be there until the second week of February, and I need to move sooner than that.

I guess, you get what you pay for, if Dahill is the best and most expensive?
BrownEyedGurl

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:23 pm

Yep. It seems as if Dahill is quoting you on its minimum 2100 pound shipment.

OK, so this is your prior post - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 9945#49945

Those companies you have named other than Dahill and Bekins White Glove are all dubious or scammers. Bekins is much lower quality than Dahill. Also, since you're in CA it seems as if you haven't had an in-residence estimate but are just getting quotes from an inventory list. If so, that's not ideal.

Why not get a quote from Box Brothers, just to see--it could turn out to be less than Dahill's quote because they won't have such a high minimum, and (just like a regular moving company) they could meet you in the apartment to pick up your things. Again, think hard about things that you could leave behind to save money.
Diane

Postby deviolet » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:37 pm

I used seamens moving from NYC to AZ in July. I loved them. They got all my stuff moved in 4 days door to door. They quoted me amount and only went over 1% ( i had about 50% more than they thought). This was the smoothest move ever. I would recommend them.
deviolet

Postby BrownEyedGurl » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:38 pm

Did you sign a contract or what was your deposit?
BrownEyedGurl

Return to Open Community