mobile

Reccomndations moving from Long Island NY to New Orleans LA?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Reccomndations moving from Long Island NY to New Orleans LA?

Postby lmg » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Hi there, I am trying to find a mover as i am relocating from Long Island, New York to New Orleans, Louisiana. I have been online and have recieved quotes from various companies located nearby (many in brooklyn).

Basically, i read off a list of inventory of my belongings and they gave me an estimate based on cubic feet. I am now concerned after reading the advice on this site not to do it this way. SO, does anyone outt here have any reccomendations for reputable movers in my area, to my destination area, etc... Any help will be much appreciated.

Here is a list of the companies i spoke with. Any feedback?

A1 Moving
All State Express Moving
Moving Etc.
American Move Aid
Highlawn Moving & Storage
Seamans
The Right Move
Last edited by lmg on Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lmg

Re: Reccomndations moving from Long Island NY to New Orleans

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Your gut is already telling you what to do. Toss out every company that contacts you from a website, and DEFINTELY toss any that quote in the manner you described. In case you need any details, read the article at the top left of this page with the 8)

All State Express Moving has been licensed less than a year, and with a type of license that does not require them to carry Cargo insurance. Your load would not be covered unless you purchased additional insurance (which is a good idea with ANY mover, but still...) Also, they only have three trucks, and LA is a LONG way away. A lot of times we hear of small movers having to subcontract their long-distance moves to another company that you have never heard of nor approved of.

A1 Moving is a pretty generic name, can you give me a phone number or website address so I can look up and be certain which one you are asking about? There is no mover anywhere near NY state named A1 Moving.
MusicMom

Postby lmg » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:03 pm

Thanks for the reply, looks like i wont be using all state express!
A1's tel 3 is 877.903.2663

Just hit the yellow pages and spoke to these companies as well. Any feedback..? Thanks in advance...

The Moving Doctor
Liberty Moving & Storage
lmg

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:28 am

A One Moving & Storage's records don't look terribly scary, but i can't look as deep right now as I usually do. If they gave you an estimate over the phone based on your inventory, then I would stiull say to toss them out. If they were willing to come to your house to do a visual survey, that may change things.

Moving Doctor may be OK, again, based on an in-home estimate. Same thing for Liberty.

Since you are in NYC, I would not be turned off from a mover who asks for a deposit, like in other parts of the country. It seems pretty common for the major metro areas. So don't be surprised if they all do ask for a low one. Don't pay half up-front, though, that's too much.
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:37 am

lmg,

Of the companies you've mentioned so far, the only ones that I think are probably reputable are Seamens and Liberty Moving (United). However, Seamens should not be used for a long-distance move like yours and the one review that we have of Liberty is suspect because it came out of the blue. You can't trust every company that's in the paper Yellow Pages.

Please read my Epinions article linked to below for a general orientation to the issues and some suggestions about movers. Since I wrote the article, one person ("nyaccent") had a good move with Certified Transportation Group and another person moving internationally used Avatar Moving Systems and had a good experience. I think either of those would be a much better choice than the companies you're currently considering. Depending on how far you're out on Long Island, Dahill (Mayflower) in Brooklyn might be able to move you, and it has excellent reviews here.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:22 pm

Oh, when I wrote back, only the first two names were on the list! Ditto what Diane said.
MusicMom

Postby lmg » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:08 pm

Thanks very much for the recomendations!

As of right now I am having Astro (allied Van Lines), Liberty and Moving Dr. coming to my home to give me an in houe estimate so i can compare, see who i am comfortable with (if any).

Any feedback on astro/ allied van lines? Thanks so much for your help, very iformative forum!
lmg

Postby PMueller » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:38 pm

Astro (Allied) services more out of your area that any other Allied office. The next closest Allied office in number of shipments is Bayshore in Hauppauge, NY. Both of these facilities do a great job for me in the NY area.

MusicMom and Diane have provided you with some great information, between the in home estimates and the education you are receiving hopefully everything will work out for a smooth relocation for you.
PMueller

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:41 pm

I unlike diane would recommend Seamen's moving. I used it to move from NYC to AZ. They did a great job... I moved from door to door in 4 days. They contract with worldwide movers I believe. The guys were great and worked through the arizona heat (120) . I would use them over and over... and good luck in NO.

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:10 pm

Not to sound like a broken record, but you have to understand when a good review comes out of the blue from someone who has never been to this site before, we have to wonder what brought them here. Usually it is people who've had bad moves, or who are looking to avoid one. So i ahve to wonder about the validity of this review, and why ther person who is so happy with their previous move is now raving at MovingScam.com.
MusicMom

Return to Open Community