international move

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
sammy

international move

Postby sammy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:48 am

I am suddenly moving to New Zealand. I have contacted several of the recommended international movers posted on this site , and have been waiting for weeks for a quote. I then went on to IntlMOVE Inc. North Miami Beach, Fla; does anyone have any comments about them? We had our questions answered, so we thought, but now have some reservations. They asked for a deposit of $1200 and said when they received that, we would get a contract. They received it, and said that our file was being handed over to operations to arrange pickup, and we'd get a contract then. That was not what they said first. The complicated thing is our belongings are in the US at a friend's house and we are in Canada. When they contacted our friend for pickup, that is exactly what they said they would do - pickup. Initially, the quote included packing and inventory ; all of our things are packed and inventoried by us, but don't they have to also check this for custom and insurance purposes? Also, what is the best way to get insurance? I have asked them , but never received a response. There is only personal belongings (i.e. clothes, books, etc). I'd apprecaite your comments

MusicMom

Re: international move

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:46 am

Your reservations are correct. You need to cancel. Follow these suggestions, and you will have legal recourse to get your deposit back.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5246

What is the date of your move? Do you have time to contact more movers? Go through the Sticky at the top of this forum,, and start calling companies. Also, any agents of a major van line can do an international move. United Van Lines, Atlas, North American, Allied, etc.

sammy

Postby sammy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:59 am

The pickup date that IntlMOVE gave my friend was for tomorrow, 19th. Since we have no contract , is there going to be a problem with cancelling and getting my deposit back? By the time a certified letter got to them, there will be quite a lapse of time. As for actually moving my belongings, I don't care when it gets there as long as I get it . Thanks for your advice.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:55 pm

Still think you should not let them pick up your things.

For one, IntlMove is not licensed as a freight forwarder or a NVOCC. This means that they cannot legally hire ANY shipper to move your belongings overseas. AND, they are not even licensed as a broker, they had their license revoked last June. Can't beleive I didn't look this up before.

You NEED to cancel your move with them. Mail the letter by Certified Mail. Include that you just found out today that IntlMove is unlicensed, and you refuse to allow your goods to be moved illegally. Should they refuse to give you your deposit back, threaten with a lawyer.

Start calling other movers now. If you don't mind pushing it back a week, it would be the best thing to do. Under NO ceircumstances should you allow any mover hired by IntlMove to come take your things. Onlly bad things will happen.

sammy

Postby sammy » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:43 pm

Thanks so much; I have taken your advice - cancelled the move and sent a certified letter.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:51 pm

THANK YOU!

How did you pay the deposit? Did they ever tell you, or have written on paper (no, silly, since they never gave you paper), their cancellation policy? Probably not.

SAMMY

Postby SAMMY » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:48 pm

I paid for the deposit by wire transfer. There was never any mention of refund prior to this. I called them today, and was told that they would contact me within 48 hrs, and hurriedly tried to hang up. I asked if they needed my phone number (everything had been done by email). He said he was sure they had it, and hurriedly hung up. We'll see.....

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:27 pm

So when you call them on Friday afternoon, call from a different phone number. Odds are they won't answer when they see yours (it's on their Caller ID so they can ignore customers like you). Tell them you're calling from your lawyer's office and haven't received your money transferred back yet. :twisted:

sammy

Postby sammy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:26 pm

I called IntlMOVE this morning, asked to speak with the rep we had been emailing and was told she wasn't in. Explained re: the cancellation and wanting a refund with the guy who answered and offered to help. He said he was "only a salesperson" and that I needed to email the accounting dept as he couldn't transfer the call. When I questioned this, he said acctng wasn't in. Called back and spoke with the rep we had been emailing, again told her I wanted my deposit back; her response was the manager would call me in 10 mins. After an hr, I called back and was transferred to the manager, who, lo and behold , was the same guy who said he was "only a salesperson" . He again told me to email the accounting dept. When I asked if he wanted the bank's address for a draft included in the email, his response was "something like that, yeah". What are the chances that I will get my deposit back? It leaves such a bad taste in your mouth that you hate to start this moving process/interviewing again. Any more suggestions?? They would be welcomed.

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:15 pm

Where in the USA are your goods stored with friends ?

Try the following link to locate a well qualified international mover.

www.fidi.com

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:41 pm

The manager/salerperson's name is David Etzion. Ask for him by name. If you continue to have trouble getting a hold of him, here's an alternate contact. This one will probably work better at night (wink, wink, nudge, nudge...)

David Etzion
19707 Turnberry way #20C
Aventura, FL 33180
US
Phone: 305-937-2810
Fax..: 305-937-1480
Email: etzion@bellsouth.net

Pretty snazzy digs. A 3-bedroom condo in the same building has a list price of $1.2 million. We've been told Florida has a law that no lawsuit judgement can take your personal residence, and this makes us (or me at least) wonder if this is why many cammer owners flock to FL and turn to real estate, meaning they get bigger and bigger home addresses about one a year.

sammy

Postby sammy » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:32 pm

Well, I emailed the accounting dept as requested , and promptly received a reply. They state that their "refund policy is stated in our Order for service..... which requires 5 business days in writing..." , which they report they emailed to us. We did not receive such an email. One would think: first, they would have added the date of sending that email, second, there was no contract sent, let alone an Order for service!!! Why would they email that, when it was NOT included in the 2 -page email we received with info. on options for payment. We did not even receive a "Rights and responsibilties" pamphlet, and were told that our file was being sent to operations to coordinate the move. From there, our friend received a phone call from them saying they would pick my things up on Jan. 19 and it would take 1/2 hr!!! Also, why would they send us an "order for service" when there was no contract??? Where do I go from here???? Please help.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jan 21, 2006 9:29 pm

The only thing I can think of to do right now is to write one more letter to IntlMOVE. In it, make a note of what you have been told recently by the salespeople, including this last bit about the Order For Service. Note that you can easily prove from your email's Inbox that no such note was ever sent, and you are inviting them to prove from their Sentbox that they did indeed email you the Order or Service as they claim. In a separate paragraph, outline that you are cancelling thier services because you have found out they are operating without the required licenses, and did not wish your goods to be handled illegally. You are demanding an immediate and full refund, as previously requested.

At th bottom of the letter, write "cc to Federal Maritime Commission", and"cc to Department of Transportation". Send copies of the letter to both agencies. Do not state in the letter that you will send the "cc"s if you do not receive a refund, this will be blackmail. Just be professional and send it everyone anyway. You are merely keeping both agencies apprised of what is going on with IntlMove.

sammy

Postby sammy » Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:48 pm

MusicMom :
Thanks for the info. As an update, it seems that IntlMOVE, Inc. sent emails to our friend's email (the friend who has our belongings). Why?? I have no idea!!! In any case they outlined the date of deposit of $1200 on Jan. 13th, and only went on to email the order of Service, with the refund policy, on Jan. 14th!!! While I can't believe my luck in their mistake, I doubt I'll get my money back. But, I will write this next letter as you suggested. But, my question is : where did you look up their licences (or, lack of)? They include in their emails that they are fully licensed by FMC, and are members of AMSA and HHGFAA.I tried their websites, and emailed the organizations, but had no success. I just want to get all of the facts together for the letter. Thanks again for your help.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:37 pm

What I can tell you for certain is that there is no license listed for a company called "intlmove" at the Federal Maritime Commission's list of NVOCC or Licensed Freight Forwarders. See for yourself (click both options at the top and type in the name, then scroll down):

http://www2.fmc.gov/oti/oti_index2.htm

If they can tell you what their FMC number is, then ask them what name it's under. Also call the American Moving & Storage Association to make sure they are indeed members. They can be reached through www.moving.org

I do not see any of this information on their own website. Usually companies will prominantly display the numbers on their sites.

I just called the AMSA for you, and they are listed as a "supplier member", which is how they list any mover who is not an interstate mover.

Allright, this is the FMC license number IntlMOVE gave to me over the phone: 019338N

I sure hope to God that I've just proven myself wrong, and you were not almost moved illegally. Leave the parts about the no license out of the letters. I still think you should try to get your deposit back, since they obviously did not tell you up front their policy.

Return to “International Moves”