mobile

*using a major van line vs smaller company for move

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

*using a major van line vs smaller company for move

Postby debbis » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:41 pm

Hi, so I'm new. I'm planning a move from NYC to Tallahassee Florida. I'll have to put my stuff in storage for three weeks. My employer will reimburse me after I give three binding estimates. I read the articles about moving and researching companies. I was wondering
1) is it better in general to pick an agent of a major van line rather than go w/ more local companies (the two locally recommended are Scanio which is a very small company but they estimate by footage not poundage, so they smell kind of scammy to me) and TLC (used to be Four Seasons). Flatrate also was recommended to me.
2) If I go with a major van line, how do I know who are the best agents in my area? I saw on this site that Collins Bros and University Van Lines in NY are good agents for Atlas. Is there another agent for Mayflower, or United you'd recommend? Thanks
debbis

Re: using a major van line vs smaller company for move

Postby moverjim » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:21 pm

CONTACT A COLONIAL ( MAYFLOWER TRANSIT AGENT )IN HACKENSACK, NJ FOR A QUOTE
http://www.movingservices.com/colonialmoving/
moverjim

Postby debbis » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:42 pm

Thanks moverjim, I'll call them. Is that a better agent than Dahill (just read about Dahill on this website). Also, does anyone have any gripes with the storge facilities used by any of these movers?
thanks so much
debbis

Postby moverjim » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:50 pm

I WOULD STICK TO THE MAJORS, BEING THAT YOU NEED STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT.
YOU COULD GET ESTIMATES FROM TWO DIFFERENT AGENTS OF THE SAME VAN LINE AND SEE WHAT EACH HAS TO SAY.
BE SURE TO INSIST THAT YOUR GOODS BE PLACED INTO STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT, NOT PERMANENT STORAGE.
THAT WAY THE COVERAGE YOU PLACE ON YOUR HOUSEHOLD GOODS WILL BE COVERED BY THE VAN LINE FROM THE TIME THEY PICK-UP UNTIL DELIVERY IN FLORIDA.
moverjim

Postby tibbetts » Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:56 pm

What is the difference between storage in transit and permanent storage? Just the insurance implicatoins? Or is it a physically different facility?

If cost is no object (my employer is picking up the tab) and storage in the middle is required, would people suggest a PODS-like system or a traditional van move? The PODS seem more suitable to storage, but it also means going with someone other than the majors.
tibbetts

Postby moverjim » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:13 pm

What is the difference between storage in transit and permanent storage? Just the insurance implicatoins? Or is it a physically different facility?
WITH STORAGE-IN-TRANSIT, THE SHIPMENT IS AN INTERSTATE SHIPMENT AND THE VAN LINE'S COVERAGE WILL PROTECT THE GOODS FROM INITIAL PICK-UP TO FINAL DELIVERY.
WITH PERMANENT STORAGE THE LOCAL AGENT IS RESPONISBLE FOR THE PICK-UP AND HANDLING OF THE GOODS IN AND OUT OF THEIR WAREHOUSE. THE VAN LINE IS ONLY RESPONSIBLE FROM THE AGENT'S WAREHOUSE TO FINAL DESTINATION.
WITH PERMANENT STORAGE YOU HAVE A SPLIT LIABILITY ISSUE. WHEN DID THE DAMAGE OCCUR? ON THE MOVE INTO STORAGE, IN THE WAREHOUSE HANDLING OR ON THE MOVE TO DESTINATION. YOU POTENTIALLY HAVE TWO CLAIMS. ONE AGAINST THE ORIGIN AGENT AND ONE AGAINST THE VAN LINE. ALSO THE PROBLEM OF EITHER PARTY NOT ACCEPTING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE DAMAGES.
WITH STORAGE -IN TRANSIT THE VAN LINE ACCEPTS LIABILITY FOR THE LOCAL AGENT, THE WAREHOUSE AND THE MOVE TO DESTINATION AND WILL CHARGE BACK THE RESPONSIBLE PARTY FOR THE DAMAGES.[/i]
moverjim

Postby debbis » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:29 pm

thanks for that explanation of the two storage types. I note that on this website, that Broadway Express, Delancey, and Moovers Inc are consistently touted as great for long distance moves b/c they drive the stuff themselves. Would these be better for me than a reputable agent of a national van line? I need a place that will also give me good storage for about a month. Diane, if you are reading this, would greatly appreciate input.
debbis

Postby moverjim » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:29 pm

If cost is no object (my employer is picking up the tab) and storage in the middle is required, would people suggest a PODS-like system or a traditional van move?
FINDING A QUALITY AGENT FOR A MAJOR VAN LINE IS PROBABLY THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE . FOR GOOD MOVERS THE EXTRA HANDLING IS NOT A PROBLEM.
AS FAR A PODS IS CONCERNED. AS WITH ANY OTHER CONTAINERIZED TYPE OF SHIPPING. HOW THE CONTAINER IS LOADED IS MOST IMPORTANT. IF THE GOODS AREN'T SECURED PROPERLY THERE IS A GREAT POSSIBILITY OF DAMAGE. ALSO HOW THE CONTAINERS ARE HANDLED BY THE TRANSPORT COMPANY AND BY THE HANDLERS AT STORAGE YARDS. TYPICALLY THE CONTAINERS ARE SHIPPED ON NON-AIRRIDE TRAILERS WHICH IS ALSO ANOTHER ISSUE IN REGARDS TO DAMAGE.
moverjim

Postby Diane » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:13 pm

debbis wrote:I note that on this website, that Broadway Express, Delancey, and Moovers Inc are consistently touted as great for long distance moves b/c they drive the stuff themselves. Would these be better for me than a reputable agent of a national van line? I need a place that will also give me good storage for about a month. Diane, if you are reading this, would greatly appreciate input.

Hi Debbi,

I got your PM but have been in Canada for three days. Broadway and Moovers can't provide storage in your area, and Delancey doesn't provide storage at all. All three could move you into mini-storage in FL, which has some advantages in that you could access your things as you needed them, but any valuation coverage you might buy would not cover your things as soon as they went into mini-storage.

I think either Dahill or University Van Lines would probably do a good job for you, based on reviews on this website. Since you are in NYC it might make more sense to use Dahill, which is in Brooklyn, rather than a NJ mover like University. Someone visited Dahill's warehouse and posted that it was fine. However, Dahill will not self-haul your shipment because they don't go farther than 500 miles with their own trucks, whereas University might do so. Another idea is to approach Hall-Lane (United) in Commack for a quote, since they have a large fleet and might self-haul to FL.

My personal opinion is that consumers are safer with a self-haul as long as the company is reputable and has performed well for people. Certainly a move that goes into the van line system may go perfectly if the hauling agent's driver is good. However, when the van line driver gets involved the move is no longer under the control of the origin agent so to me it is always more or less of a crap shoot. The odds are heavily in favor of it going well if the van line is very strong like United or Atlas, and yet I have seen regrettable cases with both United and Atlas where a low-quality van line driver and/or his casual workers hired at the very end ruined the whole move. With a self-haul, the origin agent knows the driver who will haul the shipment and presumably that driver would not be working for the origin agent company if he wasn't pretty good.

However, "Fred0844" (a dispatcher for United in Toronto) pointed out to me when I visited him that in some cases it can be more efficient if companies do not self-haul. The example he gave was a half-full truck in Detroit destined for New York City waiting to fill out. Let's say that a customer in Chicago has half a truck's worth destined for NYC as well. It would be more efficient if the Detroit truck picked up the Chicago shipment and went on to NYC rather than having the Chicago agent's truck wait to fill out (as well as the Detroit truck) and then both trucks go East. If the Detroit truck takes the shipment, the Chicago agent's truck is free to move another load. In other words, from the point of view of efficient use of resources, it's better if the move goes into the van line system in such a situation. However, as I said above, this might not always be best for the customer, because the long-haul driver may not be as good as the origin agent's driver, who will be a known quantity.
Diane

Return to Open Community