mobile

**Lawrence Transportation Systems (United) NC to Denver

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies

**Lawrence Transportation Systems (United) NC to Denver

Postby faithalone » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:04 pm

In Oct 2005, I moved 3,060 lbs of household goods from Durham, NC to Denver (Castle Rock, CO). I used the following mover:

United Van Lines - Lawrence Transportation Systems
Roanoke, Virginia 24019
540-966-4000
800-336-9626
U.S. DOT No. 077949
Curtis Barner was the driver who picked up my goods.

The first problem I had was when the driver wanted to park the truck on my driveway. I asked him if it would hurt the driveway and he said no. However, after loading everything up, he wanted me to sign a form that said they weren't responsible for any damage to my driveway. I refused to sign the form.
The estimate and contract I signed included extra charges for a shuttle on delivery in Colorado. After they delivered the goods, the driver said the shuttle wasn't included and he wanted more money. I called the Virginia office and they talked to the driver and assured him the shuttle costs were included. After delivery, the company quoted me the balance based on the final weight and charged my credit card accordingly. However, several weeks later, the company called and said they made a mistake and that the $812 for the shuttle had not been included in the costs. They admitted that it was their mistake. They were very condescending and would not shave off one dime or attempt any good faith resolution. In addition, they tried to charge me for a dishpac and packing I didn't use. I would never use this company again or recommend them.
faithalone

Re: Lawrence Transportation Systems (United) NC to Denver

Postby Diane » Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:18 pm

I'm going to add this report to my summary post on NC companies, but in order to be fair I would like to know from industry people whether a person can be billed extra for a shuttle like this several weeks after the move is over. It appears that the person had a Nonbinding quote since he/she talks about the final price being dependent on the weight.
Diane

Re: *Lawrence Transportation Systems (United) NC to Denver

Postby faithalone » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Just an additional note on this - I realize that the cost for the shuttle is/was a legitimate cost and I did pay it. What is a scam in my mind is that they told me from the beginning (and after delivery) that the cost was included in the total. I may have picked another mover if I had known that the end result would be $812 higher. Anyone could perpetrate this kind of scam. They tell you all costs are included and then come back 3 weeks later and say "sorry...we made a mistake".
faithalone

Re: *Lawrence Transportation Systems (United) NC to Denver

Postby Diane » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:34 pm

OK, I understand the situation now and I will add your complaint to my summary post. It seems as if this was a legitimate mistake on their part, but nevertheless a significant one that should not have happened if the sales rep had been doing his/her job. I just hope that it was not an intentional mistake. No one in the industry came on here to comment, which I admit makes me wonder whether they have seen this kind of thing happen before and are not surprised.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby Michael » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:31 pm

If the shuttle was included in the cost it would have been itemized out on the quote.

I think what might have happened is they had it as a possible additional cost on the estimate which is not included in the final cost. Someone probably looked at it quickly, saw the shuttle in there but didnt add up the cost.

One question I would have is why you selected Lawrence out of VA when there was one in your own backyard in Morrisville?
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget
Michael

Postby faithalone » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:28 pm

The shuttle cost was definitely included in the estimate. However, I was able to get rid of some of my belongings, so my final weight was almost 1,000 lbs less than what they estimated. I knew the final tally would be less than the estimate because of the reduction in weight - I just didn't know how much less. The company admitted that when they calculated the final cost, they forgot to include the line item for the shuttle. Up to that point, it had been included in the calculations and because of the weight reduction, I had no way of knowing that the shuttle cost had been dropped.
I did use Lawrence out of Morrisville. All the paperwork from the billing dept has Roanoke, VA on their letterhead.
faithalone

Postby Fred0844 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 8:00 pm

Because it was a COD order, the bill of lading would be rated at origin. Since the shuttle had not occured yet. it would not have been substantiated by a signed AR23 (auxilliary services) form. Since it has not happened (and in fact might not happen) it cannot be charged on the bill of lading as a collectable item.

Now regarding the dishpack and the packing, was this signed for on the AR23 at origin by you or your agent.

The money for the shuttle goes to the driver or agent performing the service. It is there to offset his costs for rental of a small truck plus the extra costs involved with that and the additional labour to transfer your shipment from his highway trailer to the shuttle truck. Look at your bill of lading and it will tell you if a shuttle was charged on it.

How is it a scam when you were aware of the shuttle charge even before you chose your mover. If the charge was legitimate and it did not appear on the bill of lading and paid for at time of delivery and when the service was performed, why should they not be able to invoice afterward. Does a clerical error entitle you to scam the mover (you seem to think that you should not have to pay for the shuttle) out of service authorized by you and performed on your behalf.
Fred0844

Postby Me/Michael » Mon May 01, 2006 6:56 am

I would have to agree with Fred. It was an honest mistake. They quoted you for one when you received your quote and it seems like a honest mistake. You knew a shuttle would be charged. So I dont think anyone was trying to scam you or take advantage of you in any way. They simply wish to be paid for the service that they mistakenly thought was included in the quote.

Lawrence has a decent reputation in the industry here and by here I mean in NC.
Me/Michael

Postby Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 8:51 am

As I said in my previous post, I understand the shuttle was a legitimate cost and I DID pay it in full. Perhaps an analogy would help you underrstand my position as a consumer.

Say you went to Home Depot and bought new carpet. Three weeks after they installed your carpet, they called you and told you that they had mischarged you and you owed them another $400. Was the extra charge legitimate? Yes. Would you expect them to make some sort of "good faith" offer to offset their mistake? I would. I did. Like I said, they were rude and indignant. Not the way to get referrals for your business. I'm in the process of moving my daughter from NC to another State. Will I use them? Nope.

Postby faithalone » Mon May 01, 2006 10:46 am

P.S. Plus, as I pointed out in a previous post, they assured as, as well as the driver who delivered our goods, that the shuttle WAS included in the final cost. It's not like we didn't ask - we specifically asked at delivery if it was included.
faithalone

Postby Diane » Mon May 01, 2006 11:00 am

Just a note that I agree with your position, Faith. Incompetence causes many problems in the moving industry as in other industries. When it occurs, some moving companies do make an effort to give the customer some type of token compensation as a goodwill gesture (I have seen this happen). I certainly do not think that you were or are trying to scam the moving company; you were only looking for some indication that they regretted what they had put you through.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby Fred0844 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:33 am

The shuttle is not their money to give up. The hauling is not their money to give up. If the shuttle is on the bill of lading it will show up on the computer print out.
Fred0844

Postby twalker » Mon May 01, 2006 11:41 am

Faith,

Your point is completely valid but around here there are just some people that it will (unfortunately) be lost on. Don't fret though; most people "get it".

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon May 01, 2006 3:56 pm

To call a company like Lawrence Transportation a SCAM mover over a clerical error...Tim you don't get it.
What would you have Lawrence do?

Postby twalker » Mon May 01, 2006 4:00 pm

Um, no.... that's not was I am saying but thanks for trying to put words into my mouth. :roll:

I am saying that they should have admitted that they made a mistake and offered some kind of token compensation to show that they take some kind of responsibility for their error.

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Next

Return to Report A Scam