mobile

NYC to Seattle

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

NYC to Seattle

Postby ray » Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:46 pm

Wow, I had no idea the state of the moving industry is such that it is full of crooks. I read through so many horrer stories here and epinion.com that I wished I could simply pack my own truck and drive cross country. My daughter is 14 months, with a cat and towing a car across country is out of the question. I have checked into both ABF and MoveX options. However, both movers do not bring trucks/trailer into Manhattan. That only leave me the choice to shuttle our stuff to a ABF terminal in Brooklyn or "somewhere" outside of Manhattan (location of my choice) to a MoveX affiliated truck.

I am seeking suggestions as to what to do. We are planning to move in the middle of Jan. 2004. We don't have much stuff. The option of have our car shipped on the same truck as MoveX stated is a appealing one. Anyone has experience of moving coast to coast out of Manhattan? Thanks.

Ray
ray

Re: NYC to Seattle

Postby Michael » Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:06 pm

Ray,

Even with a major you will have that shuttle charge so I dont think your going to find anyone that can tell you different, and if you do, thats red flag number one.

If your moving cross country, I would definitley tell you to stick with a Major (United, Atlas, Graebel, Allied, North American). Your auto is going to run $1339.17 to $1182.82, includes the fuel surcharge and depends on the services offered (United Rates).

Depending on how much weight you have you should be looking at delivery spreads of 8-17 days. Again if someone tells you something different, another red flag. The more weight you have the quicker it gets delivered, but starting at no earlier then 7 days. Now if for some reason the driver says he can get there in 6 and deliver you, then that would be between you and him. But I would always plan for the worst case scenario.

Another thing to keep in mind. The tariff that most majors follow is going to increase 2.2% come January 1, 2004. So make sure you select someone and sign by December 31, 2003, to save that 2.2%.

Just some quick number guides (includes zip 10001 and 98101, basic coverage and shuttle) 5000 pounds>>$4369.46, 6000 pounds>>$5121.73, 7000 pounds>>$5874 and 8000 pounds>>$6616.74.
All your majors should be in that ball park if they quoted you just the basics (Transportation Charges, Accessorial, Basic Valuation and shuttle).
If anyone is significantly lower, by 1500-3000 dollars, third red flag.

Hope that helps! Happy Thanksgiving!
Michael

Forget yourself for others and the others will never forget
Michael

Postby Diane » Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:00 pm

Ray,

I follow comments on the self-load, we-drive companies pretty closely since they're the only realistic alternative to a full service moving company for many people. I myself used ABF for an interstate move.

If you do a search (you may have already done this), you'll see that there are a lot of reviews of ABF on epinions.com and a lot of comments on both ABF and Movex on this website and on movingadvocateteam.com as well. But I don't remember ever seeing a report by someone who used Movex to ship both a car AND household goods.

There have been a variety of reports about Movex, but I think it's fair to say that most have been positive, though not as positive as the ones about ABF. The people who had the best experiences had either Landstar or Broadway Express as their hauler (Movex itself doesn't move people since it's a broker--it hires other companies to do so.) I'm not sure about this, but it might be possible for you to negotiate directly with Landstar or Broadway Express to move you and your car, or, failing that, you might ask Movex whether it would guarantee that you would be moved by one of those companies.

If anyone in the industry has heard anything about Broadway Express (www.broadwayexpress.net; MC #207522), which is located in Illinois, maybe they will jump in to help advise. On safersys.org, several license revocations are shown for the parent company (Griffith Trucking), but all were very brief.

I think it would be worth it for you to get a quote from at least one major van line just to see whether your cost saving using ABF or Movex is going to be worth the considerable hassle.
Diane

Postby ray » Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:25 pm

Thanks both for comments and suggestions. My next step is to contact couple majors for quotes. And I will also look into Broadway Express as well. Thanks again.

Ray
ray

Postby ray » Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:23 pm

Just wanted to post an update regarding our upcoming move to Seattle. After contacting two full service van lines here, they turned out to be rather non-responsive (maybe because we don't have much stuff approximately 2200#) We decided to go with Broadway Express. I spoke with Don Girard. His quote was for 6 linear-ft plus 15 ft for the car, $2,940 plus $300 entrant fee for the tractor-trailer coming into Manhattan. And yes, BE would bring a 53' (with cab 74') truck onto my block on 1/12. Really have to see how that's going to work. Informed the local precinct and they have no problem with it. Now I just hope Mother Nature would cooperate on that day. Don also told me it's 5-8 days spread.

The quote BE gave me was comparable to Movex' which was $1,550 for 6 linear-ft, and $1,500 for the car on the same truck. Only difference was that Movex would not bring a truck into Manhattan.

I checked with my car insurance co. and was told that the car will not be covered while in transit. I will have to call Don tomorrow for that. He also told me that there is a 3% surcharge on credit card use, plus half payment upfront and the other half at the time of delivery. I'm just wondering if that's standard practice?
ray

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:45 am

Most DITY movers charge for at least half up front unless you can work a deal out for cod.

Find out if the trailer BE is using has E-Track in it. These are tie down areas that you can strap to inside the trailer. If it does, I would suggest buying some car tie down straps for all 4 tires.

Believe it or not, our claims for cars transported in-van are a lot higher than if it was on a car carrier.

I might be leary if I were you about the truck being able to get into Manhatten, I have just seen too many times that trucks have a difficult time down there.

Do you not want to ship your car via car carrier? I just think it would be so much safer in your case. If you cannot tie your car down in the trailer, I can promise it will shift and probably get damaged.

Good luck and please report back with some more info.

Thanks,
Josh

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:44 am

Ray,

Let me ask you a question. Your home in Manhattan, do cars park on both sides of the street? IF they do, that means you have two lanes of traffic going in seperate directions. If the truck double parks where is all the traffic going to go?

So I would tell you and have to agree with Josh, be prepared for it not to fit and to pay more. Then if it happens your not totally shocked!! You might want to ask him if he can send someone out to take a look at destination prior to your move to make sure.

And if for some reason the truck has no issues, well then everyone is happy.

Best of luck,
Michael

Michael

Postby BigLeeCalif » Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:18 pm

Ray,

I think Michael and Josh are on the money there.. Though we all represent the same Van Line, I am not sure if they are required to use the Metro Shuttle fee for metropolitan NY.

Both United and Mayflower are using this item on shipments going into New York City, and it has been applied on estimates up front, so that there are no surprises at destination.

When I rate driver papers going into NYC, certain zip codes that have been entered automatically require the Metro Service fee.

Basically it covers a setoff, and the local agent will deliver the shipment to you...

Lee
BigLeeCalif

Postby Diane » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:38 pm

Why is it that Broadway Express, with its 70-plus-foot trucks, seems to be able to get into places like NYC that the major van lines can't service without using a shuttle?

Although we don't know that this will happen with Ray, a person named Suzanne posted that BE was able to pick her up in Brooklyn, and Tae's stuff was delivered by BE to a congested area of Los Angeles with no problem.

I've asked this question of Lee privately, and he responded that "the reason Broadway Express can get into places that other trucks can't is simple when you look at it.... They have all company owned vehicles, which usually means a standardized fleet." Would anyone want to comment further?
Diane

Postby Guest » Fri Dec 26, 2003 3:50 pm

My only guess would be that we (United) have just seen too many problems over the past years with NYC.

I know my company only allows a 45% discount for shipments going into the city just due to labor/traffic problems we face trying to deliver.

I also know that parts of NYC do not allow any tractor trailers, guess it just depends where those places are. Obviously if the person lives near an interstate and not downtown. then a TT is feasible.

Even on my electronic orders that I have come out of NYC, there is a metro fee that I have to charge.

Josh

Postby ray » Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:31 pm

I will have to call Don of BE Monday on the issue regarding insurance and tie-downs for the car.

I was happy when I was told that BE would bring a TT into the city. My stuff wouldn't have to be moved twice. The deal about parking on my block is this. It is a one-way street with parking on both sides, that is one lane traffic in the middle. However, on Mondays there is no parking btw 8am to 6pm for both sides. In theory there is plenty of room for a TT parked in front of my building. Whether the truck can make it into Manhattan and actually all the way to my block, well we will have to see. In the event if there was snow on the ground, it is likely that the city would suspend alternate side parking, ( in effect negate the no parking on Monday rule). Well then I would have to figure out plan B.

I don't really know about the metro shuttle fee, except that a permit is required for a TT to enter into Manhattan.

Hope everyone has a nice holiday. Thanks so much for all your feedback.
Back to the packing...

Ray
ray

Postby Michael » Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:21 am

Ray,

Well lets hope for no snow and that they can get you on a Monday. Best of luck, and happy packing, lol. I hate packing.
Michael

Michael

Postby ray » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:34 am

Recap on the move from NYC to Seattle: Broadway Express driver Bob contacted me two days prior and asked for direction. He said he would get to my block around 10 am Monday Jan 12. He arrived right around 10:30am. Folks, it was a beautiful day in NY. Temp was in the 40s and he was able to park right in front of the building. We hired couple local movers to load the truck. These guys were amazing. At one point one guy had five boxes on his back going down three flight of stairs. They worked non-stop and it all took about 2 1/2 hours to finish. Bob the BE driver was especially helpful. He provided help as to how to pack our stuff into all 6 linear-ft of space, all our belongings were covered, padded and strapped down and then the car went in last. 3 hours later the truck was on its way. Believe me folks, I took care of the guys. I was just happy it all worked out at the end, not to mention all the panic packing we did even as the truck was pulling in out front and of course we ran out of packing tape...Next day we left NY just ahead of the deep freeze and the snow.

Bob told me that he would not be the driver going to Seattle. I called Don on Friday to get an update and I was told that a different driver, Ann, would deliver our stuff no later than Wednesday Jan 21. Ann contacted me on Wednesday and informed us that she would arrive in Seattle the next day between 10 and 11 am. The delay was caused by HQ scheduling conflict. For unloading help we took a chance on a local movers' posting on Craigslist.com. Ann arrived 10:30am the next day (Thursday) and the two local movers were ready to go. It all took about 2 hrs to unload. Since our belongings were well packed onto the truck, no damages were found although we still have couple of picture boxes to unpack. Nevertheless we were happy to have our belongings. Living in a empty apartment for 10 days was a bit strange. Ann the BE driver was also very pleasant and helpful.

Overall, it was a very positive experience using Broadway Express. I don't think we would do a coast to coast move anytime soon though. Don't think we can handle the stress, again now that things are almost back to normal. Many thanks to you, the volunteers/contributors and especially Tim, for the advice, suggestions and information provided. I am truly grateful for all your help. Thanks. :D

Ray
ray

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 26, 2004 10:17 am

Ray, so glad it worked out well. We'll add your name, then, to those of Angela, BrooklynMommy, Tae, penaddict, and Suzon as a satisfied customer of Broadway Express. You and Suzon are the only ones to have shipped cars with them. It's good that you're registered on this site so that people can contact you for more details if they need to.

Would you want to name the local movers that you used in Manhattan, since you were so happy with them? This might help other people down the line. Thanks again for taking the time to report back to us.
Diane

Postby ray » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:33 pm

Certainly Diane, the local mover I used in NYC is Shea Moving: Brian Shea 718-932-1204.

If I can be of any help regarding Broadway Express, please feel free to contact me. Thanks.

Ray
ray

Return to Open Community