Moving Pads : Where to Rent ?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Patrick

Moving Pads : Where to Rent ?

Postby Patrick » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:16 am

I'm moving with ABF containers ("Relo Cubes") and just realized that they don't rent Moving pads to people who rent their containers (their competitor "door-to-door" does). This is a very significant expense since purchasing 20 moving pads can be very expensive ("door-to-door" rents them for about $18 for a bundle of 12 -or something).

Does anyone know of a way to rent Moving Pads ?

Patrick

Diane

Re: Moving Pads : Where to Rent ?

Postby Diane » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:16 pm

From ABF review #25 (August 2005):
UHaul rents moving blankets 12 for $10 for 10 days. Over-estimate how many of these you will need, we kept running out.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:40 am

Just a note on those UHaul pads (we ended up BUYING ours, thanks AY for being late!). They are made from recycled denim fabric fibers. They do a great job of protecting your furniture, but you have to be careful of using them on sharper corners without some other protectant. The fabric pulls and shreds, and we even had a hole at one point. The fabric cannot be dragged on the floor like some of the quilted blankets. I'm not sure if they would have accepted the pads back after seeing the condition they arrived in (although our movers were far less than careful with our stuff). If you have sharp corners, shove a piece of styrofoam block onto it.

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:16 am

There was a recent discussion of moving pads by several drivers on www.HouseholdDrivers.com. One driver posted the following:
My personal update....I have been using my new pads for about 2 months now and am pretty fairly disgusted with them. some have holes in them from chair legs, the threads are pulling out of others....I had that with my OLD 10 year old pads only they wer 10 years old. This made in China stuff is in my opinion CRAP. I bought the best of the best and it's made in China! I wouldn't do it again unless it was made in the USA. -
http://householddrivers.com/PHP-Nuke/mo ... opic&t=102

Although he is talking about pads that he bought vs. pads that are available for rent, I think the same problems occur in both. The pads made in China (which is most of them nowadays) are inferior. This driver said that good pads are still available for purchase from a company called Sandhill.

Rick

Postby Rick » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:40 am

Professional movers use heavy duty lock stitched quilted pads (72" x 80") that have double stitched cloth borders. A dozen weighs 96-108 lbs. and will set you back about $145.

California Dolly has several locations in the western region.
http://www.cds-usa.com

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:54 pm

If Cal Dolly doesn't have any available, check

New Haven Moving Equipment.. they might rent too...

http://www.newhaven-usa.com/index.shtml
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Diane

Postby Diane » Sat Jul 22, 2006 12:56 pm

New Haven is the old and reputable company that the above driver bought his new pads from after consulting with a salesman there, and he said they were disappointing. He bought #99s first and then exchanged them for #55s but he was still dissatisfied with the quality as described above.

BigLeeCalif

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:04 pm

That's strange... Caton bought our Pads from New Haven (and bobtails) the entire time I worked there, and never had problems....

Maybe like everything else there could have been some bad lots.

But we got all our dollies, machine carts, and library carts from Cal Dolly.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain

Return to “Open Community”