mobile

Moving locally in Tacoma area

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving locally in Tacoma area

Postby trinity » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:30 pm

Can anyone recommend good movers for a local move in Washington state around Tacoma? It's 33 miles one way so it's not subject to the weight pricing. I have only talked to Apex, they sound very nice.
Thanks
trinity

Re: Moving locally in Tacoma area

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 09, 2006 9:14 am

Hi - I don't know anything about Apex (can you post its phone number or license number?) but a driver for North American Van Lines has praised Air Van in Tacoma very highly. You might want to click on the link below my signature, read the first post, and then scroll down to "Washington State" on the last page to see what has been said here about companies in your area.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby trinity » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:50 pm

Apex Moving and Storage
DOT - 1064661
MC - 441701
Phone # (253) 864-7870 or 1-800-643-8896.
I have been dealing with Apex's Puyallup office.
I will call Air Van also. Thanks very much.
trinity

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:30 pm

Apex Moving & Storage LLC (also DBA Apex Movers LLC) looks OK to me on the BBB site and on www.safersys.org. This is part of its listing there -
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW I like its website at www.apexmovers.com. Apex doesn't have any complaints on the Internet that I can see. I think you should be fine with them. Another van line agent in your area that has very good comments and reviews here is Boush (Atlas) in Puyallup.
Diane

Postby trinity » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:25 pm

I moved from Puyallup to Lacey using Apex Moving and Storage in Puyallup, WA. They were the only company of 3 that I called that would even come give me an estimate, and they were just great! I have no complaints. I packed and they moved. They were on time, put up door protectors, covered the carpets, wrapped my new leather couch beautifully, used less time than they estimated. I very highly recommend them.
trinity

Postby Diane » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:34 pm

Thank you and I added your review to my summary post. If you see this, does Apex have more than one office?
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:14 pm

After seeing this unusual town's name several times now, I have to ask- how do you pronounce Puyallup?
MusicMom

Postby PatR » Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:28 am

it's PU All Up

that's where my oldest daughter resides with her hubby and children (my other two grandkids)

Pat
PatR

Postby Ruges » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:34 pm

I am revoking my praise for Airvan out of Tacoma right now. While they are still an ok agent, they lost some of the really good help and staffers they had. However I would not say completly avoid them, they are still an ok agent, just not worth a driver praise at this time. Although I would still highly sugest them for international moves exspecialy Alaska.
Ruges
Ruges

Postby Diane » Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:17 pm

Duly noted.
Diane

Postby trinity » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:04 pm

According to the web site -www.seattlemoving.net- Apex Movers has about 15 offices in western Washington. I have gotten lots of laughs till I learned how to say Puyallup.
trinity

Postby kbseattle » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:03 pm

I just wanted to add that I used Apex for a local move in Seattle in August of 2007. I moved from a storage unit to our new apartment. My movers super nice and very professional. Plus, they actually worked for Apex and weren't from a temp agency. (But I think Apex does use some temps.)

My total was something like $400 for two guys with a four hour minimum. (About the same price as other local movers, including some where I had to provide a truck myself.) My move took a little under four hours. Apex provided the truck, furniture pads, etc. The were carefull to wrap everything fragile, but cardboard and plastic down over the carpet, and even fixed the back of a particle board bookshelf that was detached. They also were able to move us within a week of my calling during the busy summer months. (I had a weekday time, a weekend might not have worked.)

My only quibble would be to be very careful about getting all the information about what is included in the hours calculation. The guy who did my estimate was pretty rushed and he mentioned that travel time was included, but I was under the impression that only included travel to my pick up spot and then to my new place. Apparently, it also included the time it took to get the truck back to Puyallup. Which is fine, but not quite the way I understood it on the phone. I had sandwiches and pop for the movers, and they included that time in the four hour minimum too. None of this affected me, because my time was still under the minimum hours, so none of this affected how much I paid. But, next time, I would be more careful about the time calculations.

I liked Apex. I'd use them again, and I'd recommend them for local moves. Just make sure you nail down all the details about time.

(Also, this site is fabulous. I just wish it had existed when I got scammed by moving brokers when I moved across the country in 2001. Moving back across the country in 2007, this site convinced me that the best thing to do was just rent the Penske truck and go for it! )
kbseattle

Re: **Moving locally in Tacoma area

Postby trinity » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:34 pm

re: Apex, a coworker just used them and he said they did a really great job and charged less than the estimate because the move took less time than estimated! Charged less? How often does that happen??

Anyway, this site is great. When I first moved to Washington state from Louisiana, I very nearly went with a really scammy company. I found this site and I think it saved me ton of money and aggravation.
trinity

Re: **Moving locally in Tacoma area

Postby Diane » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:18 am

kbseattle and trinity,

Thanks to you both for these additional positive reviews of Apex, which I added to the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Return to Open Community