Need Advice on Auto Transport from Wash DC to Portland, OR

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
MRB

Need Advice on Auto Transport from Wash DC to Portland, OR

Postby MRB » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:47 am

Hi -
First of all, thanks so much for this site.

We are relocating from Arlington, VA to Portland, OR in a few weeks. Thanks to all the postings on this site, we've already selected Hilldrup as our moving company. However, I'm still very nervous about selecting an auto transport company for our 2005 Acura TL.

I've been scanning postings and reviews of the companies for the past couple of weeks and unless I'm interpreting incorrectly - it's really hit and miss with auto transport where budget considerations are in play (which they are here as we are paying for this ourselves). It seems that Dependable Auto Shippers (DAS) is the company mentioned most - I know some with great luck with them and others who thought they were horrible.

I called DAS for an estimate yesterday and they told me it would be $1,099 for transport terminal to terminal, dropping off the vehicle in Manassas, VA and picking up in Trotville (?), OR, which is supposedly 16 miles outside of Portland. The estimated delivery time was 18 days.

My question is: Given that there don't seem to be any auto transport companies that come universally highly recommended, and DAS seems to be the one (at least from my research on these boards) that people at least seem to have luck with at least half the time - is there any reason that I shouldn't just roll the dice and go with them? Am I doing myself a disservice if I don't call for other quotes from other spotty service transporters? If so, any recommendations on one or two others I should call?

I admit that I wasn't completely impressed with the time I had to wait on the phone just to talk with someone to get a quote. Also, while budget is in play here, we did count on spending around $1,000 for the car transport and aren't necessarily looking for the absolutely cheapest option in exchange for quality. As recommended on movingscam.com, we do plan on doing terminal to terminal and dropping our own insurance to zero deductable.

Thanks.

MusicMom

Re: Need Advice on Auto Transport from Wash DC to Portland,

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:52 am

We did the reverse move three years ago. Air quality went sharply downhill. :wink:

Have you asked Hilldrup if THEY can transport that car? Major van lines have transport trailers as well.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:54 am

Hi - before settling on DAS, I recommend that you call Coast to Coast Auto Transport in Idaho (Ben Deere) at www.coasttocoastauto.com and Golden Key Express in CA (Harold White) at www.goldenkeyexpress.com for a quote. Each of these companies has its own car carriers - they are not brokers - and each has several good reviews here, buried somewhere on our Auto Transporters thread. They do not have terminals and as far as I know they would not transfer your car from one car carrier to another en route across the U.S., as DAS might well do. Coast to Coast is larger and might make more sense because it sort of focuses on the NW and you are moving to OR.

MRB

Postby MRB » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:59 am

MusicMom - we did sort of inquire with Hilldrup, though my understanding is that in general it's better to go with an independent transporter if you are at all concerned about budget as furniture movers charge a premium to move autos, no? I also inquired about it when we talked to JK Moving and he admitted that they don't love to transport autos, but will if you want them to. I assumed it was the same deal with Hilldrup.

Diane - thanks so much for the recommendations. I will definitely give both of them a call.

MRB

Postby MRB » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:39 pm

Just an update that I called Coast to Coast today and though they are $200 more expensive, I think I'm going to go with them. I'm pretty sure it was the owner, Ben, that I spoke with. I like that he personally answered the phone (immediately). Plus, I also found your very positive review of them, Diane.

The only thing I haven't seen is someone review them who has actually used them? Also, I noticed that you said in your review that they are a shipper for United Van Lines, which is who we are using (Hilldrup). Any reason I should inquire about going through United (as MusicMom suggested)? Otherwise, I think I'm going to book with them tomorrow.

Thanks again!!

PS - I didn't call Golden Key because it looked like they only service CA from their web site.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:51 pm

Any reason I should inquire about going through United (as MusicMom suggested)?

Ehh, never mind, it was a stupid idea on my part.

Diane

Postby Diane » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:15 pm

MRB, I searched through the Auto Transporters thread and this is a post where I brought the four positive reviews of Coast to Coast together - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 6739#56739 (see also preceding post). I know that others have called them and posted positive remarks about their initial conversation with Ben Deere, but they haven't come back with a final report. I feel comfortable with C2C and I agree with your decision to pay a little more for fast transport and peace of mind.

MM's idea of using Hilldrup was actually good but sometimes those agents don't actually ship the car on the same truck with your household goods and you're correct, it tends to be more expensive to do it that way.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

MRB

Postby MRB » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Great. Thanks for the additional info.
I have just scheduled our transport with Coast to Coast, so I will be sure to check back in and report on how everything went. I have good vibes that it will go well.

guest- car shipper

Postby guest- car shipper » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:10 pm

[advertisement removed]

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:22 am

Nah, your website is full of sucky auto shippers.

MRB

Postby MRB » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:07 pm

Hello -
We completed our move so I thought I'd check back in with a report of how things went.

First, concerning our household, overall Hilldrup did an excellent job. They showed up on time the day of the move with three guys - one local and two who introduced themselves and said they would be the ones driving our things across country. The were courteous and very careful, for the most part. Of course there were a couple of things I saw that I might have handled differently, for instance, padding instead of shrink wrapping a stark white chair and ottoman (which did end up getting a little dirty), but no complaints overall. On the other end, they again showed up just when they said they would (actually they were ready to deliver a day early but easily honored my request to hold off delivery for day). All the while Crystal, our coordinator, checked in every step of the way to make sure we were happy with everything. They also honored their binding estimate and we even got a refund because our things were a little under the weight they estimated.

Second, I have only rave reviews for Coast to Coast Auto Transport. When I originally inquired on the site about a reputable car transport company we were just shipping one auto. From the beginning, all of the folks at Coast to Coast were extremely professional, friendly and reliable. They told us the driver would be in our area sometime between Monday and Wednesday to meet us at a location TBD to pick up the car. The driver promptly called on Sunday to let us know he'd be there in the morning. He called again the morning to arrange a meeting point and was flexible with me when I asked if we could delay a couple hours because Hilldrup was arriving at the same time to pack our house. No problem. When we met up with the driver, he was again very friendly and professional. Any time I called to check in the car the folks at the office were very responsive. They told me the car would be delivered on Wednesday or Thursday in Portland. Sure enough, on Wednesday we got a call and arranged a time to meet the driver. He showed up on time at our meeting point and delivered the car w/o a scratch.

Meanwhile, after we had already scheduled the transport for our Acura, at the last minute before we departed DC we decided to keep our second car (we were originally going to sell it). We called Coast to Coast to try and have it put on the same truck as our Acura, but there was not room on that truck. So, tthey arranged to have it put on next week's truck. However, because we would already be gone from DC at that point, we needed to have the car picked up and held in a lot until it could be loaded on the truck. Coast to Coast arranged for all of this. With this car, we also needed door delivery to our house in Portland because my husband would be working and I was not able to go meet the driver and pick up the car by myself. So, they also arranged for holding and delivery on the Portland end. This whole process also went extremely smoothly and took just over a week. Again, the car was delivered right to our front door exactly when they said it would be w/o a scratch.

So, in sum, a household by Hilldrup and two cars by Coast to Coast were all moved on time and w/o incident. I can't say enough good things about them both, especially Coast to Coast. If you are shipping a car and are in the line of pickup and delivery for Coast to Coast, I can't imagine needing to choose anyone else based on my experience. Yes, they are a little more expensive than a DAS, but in my mind, the quality of service and peace of mind they bring is no comparison.

Finally, I can't thank the folks on this site enough for providing me with the information I needed to make informed decisions about my move. It really could not have gone any better. Oh, we also used petrelocation.com to move two cats. They also handled everything from start to finish and I also have nothing but good things to say about them.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:30 pm

Thank you for the review!

If you wouldn't mind, could you put that last part onto this thread about Pet Transport? Other people here have also used www.petrelocation.com with good results, and I'm sure they appeciate the good words as many places as possible.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1791

Diane

Re: Need Advice on Auto Transport from Wash DC to Portland, OR

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:35 pm

To MRB - thank you and I've posted both your excellent review of Hilldrup and your excellent review of Coast to Coast in the appropriate places on this website.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

Return to “Open Community”