mobile

Transamerica Moving, Inc. (S. California)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Re: Transamerica Moving, Inc. (S. California)

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:59 am

farrah7031 wrote:Have 2 major van lines come and do an IN HOME estimate. Once you have an estimated weight, contact Moovers Inc at www.mooversinc.com to see if they can take your move. Also try Delancey Street.

The other option would be to hire a California company located where you are moving.
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7565#57565

I assume that both Mooversinc. and Delancey Street have acceptable records and are recommended on this site?

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:18 pm

Moovers has over 50 good reviews here:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4655
The office numbers for Moovers are (925) 288-0630 or (800) 248-0251

This is the thread discussing Delancey Street
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2377
Delancey Street-Los Angeles (phone 323-890-2300) - speak with Aaron Koustic (pronounced KOOS-tik) or Dan Jarvis
farrah7031

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:48 pm

Farah - I wonder if you have any other names for me: Moovers might be able to do it but won't know for a week or so - and Delancey would come to Las Vegas but they don't normally do so and I would be paying about $500 extra to have them move me.

I have read negative news about All My Sons but haven't seen too much on them as far as Nevada and California are concerned - should I still stay away from them?

Thanks

Postby Diane » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:06 pm

Hi - don't go with any company that you've seen "negative news" about. The Las Vegas companies that look the best on the Superlist are Ace Worldwide (Atlas) and Puliz (United):
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7658#57658

If you have to pay $500 extra for Delancey to move you I would say it is well worth it, or if you want a safe move without spending too much money, consider using Broadway Express at www.broadwayexpress.net. There are dozens of rave reviews on a sticky at the top of the messageboard. BE would charge you only about $1100 to move 10 linear feet of goods from NV to Los Angeles (if that's where you're moving) - about 4500 pounds or a 2BR apartment. If you move only 5 feet (studio or small 1BR) it would cost you all of $715 as of today. Then you would hire the BE driver to help and additional loaders and unloaders (if needed) from www.eMove.com or Delancey Street-Los Angeles. You can get these estimates adjusted for your load size, destination, and moving date by calling BE.
Diane

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:45 pm

Just to thank everyone here: I canceled with Transamerica and they posted a credit back to my account - just had to pay for the boxes that they originally sent for free. Who knows, perhaps it would have turned out OK but I guess it's better to be safe tan sorry.

I will wind up using All American Van and Storage - they are an agent for Allied - their owner is a member of the BBB in Las Vegas - they seem to come out clean and I can find nothing adverse about them. Thus far they seem a pleasure to deal with. Plus what is great is that they have given me a firm figure of a total guaranteed amount.

Thanks

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:54 pm

That's wonderful. Please come back to write a review about your experience with All American Van (Allied). Did they give you a guaranteed not to exceed quote?
farrah7031

Postby Diane » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Good - please do come back to give us a review of the Allied agent so we can build up our database for Las Vegas.
Diane

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:54 am

farrah7031 wrote:That's wonderful. Please come back to write a review about your experience with All American Van (Allied). Did they give you a guaranteed not to exceed quote?

They did give me a guaranteed not to exceed price - plus it turns out that it is slightly less expensive than the quote received from Transamerica. My move was a little tricky because we sold our house and are renting back from the new owners until April 2 - when we have to get out. We can't get into our new house until April 6 (Central Coast, CA) - All American is working with me on that and they seem like a company that wants to make things work. I will definitely give you guys feedback after the move.

Postby TransamericaMovingEmploee » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:30 pm

I am TRANSAMERICA MOVING employee (I work in their CA sales office) and would like to comment on some of the remarks on this website.
Most of the over the phone estimates are going to be lower than the actual cost of the move by approximately 10-40%. In some cases potential customer would forget to mention some of the items that are being moved, in some cases people will not give us an accurate inventory on purpose, trying to get away with 110% of the estimate. We successfully complete over 1000 long distance moves each year and 2-3 complaints is a statistical certainty! DOT just preformed their annual audit and did not fined any of this complaints valid!
Customers need to understand that even if they pay 110% of the estimate the rest is due in 30 days.
We guarantee cost per pound and determine the actual coast of the move from the weight of the shipment.
TransamericaMovingEmploee

Postby Rick » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:16 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby MusicMom » Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:43 am

Most of the over the phone estimates are going to be lower than the actual cost of the move by approximately 10-40%.

So, by now you inform your potential customers of this fact each time you give a phone estimate? Let them know to expect to pay more in the end?
MusicMom

Postby TransamericaMovingEmploee » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:40 pm

Yes, I do. At the end you only pay for the weight of your shipment, not more not less.
For example when you get an estimate from most Van Liners you will get nonbinding and binding price with binding price is higher by about 25%-30% then nonbinding. This is same with any company in any business. In biding estimate one needs to have a cushion for unforeseen situations, such as non stackable items (will take more space in a truck) or items may be heavier than the average. In nonbinding estimate, company is not at risk, as long as the charges disclosed upfront

Postby TransamericaMovingEmploee » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:47 pm

[quote="Rick"]Thanks for taking the time to spread the word on TransAmerica Moving, Inc., http://tinyurl.com/5a7ay5, but your explanation just creates more questions.

For instance, how does a licensed household goods motor carrier that only operates two straight trucks handle "over 1000 long distance moves each year" from its base in California, especially without any brokerage authority? How it is possible that each unit handles 500 moves each when, realistically, 70 long distance interstate shipments would be average for that size truck?

Transamerica Moving operates 5 rigs, 7 trailers and 12 straight trucks.

Postby Rick » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:13 pm

Removed
Last edited by Rick on Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick

Postby Jim » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:19 pm

TME, what you're going to need to do is have your company update their filings with the FMCSA for the number of trucks and other equipment you have. You only show 2 power units and one driver. Since the ability for a moving company to competently perform a move is based on both people and equipment, it would be best if this were updated. Consumers and others looking on the FMCSA site for your capability to perform a move will have a better picture of your abilities if the information were updated.

And, yes - it is important.
It's Sunny Somewhere In The World
Jim

PreviousNext

Return to Open Community