Move from US to Ireland: EuroUsa?

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
diogenesandme

Re: Move from US to Ireland: EuroUsa?

Postby diogenesandme » Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:59 pm

Thank you UK007.

Going via consolidated container to UK then ferried to Belfast and moved down by Belfast removal company, I believe their name is McGimpsey Brothers.

Have customs clearance documents for UK - specifically for inherited/non-taxable goods - with accompanying will and letters from executors.

As contents are primarily boxes (4-5 pieces of furniture only), levels on residence are not really an issue. Where it will go is one flight up and we have a family of young, strapping boys...

Keith is to phone removal company in Belfast today to explain about difficult access and sort out a solution. I will be sure to get this in writing so I am not left having to provide a shuttle from the large lorry.

I will ask about port/security charges - thank you for the suggestion.

What fees might you consider "unfair, but valid"? Thanks for your advice.

UK-Agent 007

Postby UK-Agent 007 » Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:09 pm

Excellent, yes unfair but valid charges - what i meant by those are charges which are legal and valid and has the proof to back up any charges raise from the UK/US agent.

I'm sure reputable companies will have no problems obtaining the documents and forwarding these to you with a matter of days.

Yes clarify no shuttle will be required, as I do know charges for a shuttle vechile is quite costly and I am sure you would like to pay Mr. Keith Geard everything and not to expect anymore charges once shipment is arriving in the UK.

McGimpsey brothers comes highly recommended and you can be rest assured they should give you a good service.

Best of luck with the move.
Beware to whom you move with!!!

diogenesandme

Postby diogenesandme » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:28 am

Dear Hardatwork and UK Agent 007,

Thank you for previous posts - they have been most helpful.

An update and another question:

-EuroUsa says their ships depart every 2 weeks, thereafter it depends upon how quickly my shipment clears customs in UK. They are estimating 8 weeks to my door from when the shipment is packed up at the storage facility.

They say they will contact me once the ship sails and once it has cleared UK customs so I have an idea of how the shipment is proceeding.

UK Agent 007, why did you think this was too short a time estimate? Some of the other moving companies were estimating 4-6 weeks, including a couple quoting a move via the UK.

EuroUsa says they will send me an invoice after the pack up. Is it standard practice to pay everything up front, as in BEFORE the shipment arrives? I would like to know what standard, fair procedure is.

Thank you for your insights.

UK-Agent 007

Postby UK-Agent 007 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:05 am

Hi diogenesandme!

Eurousa does not have ship's of their own, and saying it will leave in two weeks, is onl ya possibilty not a guarentee, especially if the can not fill up a consolidated container.

6-8 Weeks is usally the standard, but it depends on the shipping line they use.

They should contact you to keep you updated with any information, they may also have a tracking site as well.

I'm not sure what the standard practise in the US for payments are, but usally payments are requested once confirmation of your shipment arriving in England. Hopefully Hardatwork will give you a betetr insight in regards to payments.

Do you know when your items will be packed up? was Eurousa the only cheaper option? Could any of the recommended owners match their quote?

Sorry if I sound a big optimistic about Eurousa, I don't seem to note any problems in the US side, but seems in the UK part, I have seen several post about them and their "unexpected charges, ie security, port etc fees"...

Just for your information, these so called port/security charges are usually about £5-15 pounds per container, not per shipments in container. I think as from this year it has risen by an additional £4-8.

What these port/security charges are, is that they are usually applied to all containers coming through the ports. Should customs decide to inspect out of the container whilst at port, no extra charges are levied to any of the customers, as a) custom's/port officials are not employed by the movining company. b) the port/security charges which are already being charged through all their containers inbound has already been covered, so why charge twice.

port/security examinations are rarely carried out, but depending on customs descretion and liability on the custom documents, H.M Customs may decide to carry out this inspection.

Please note, the moving company would charge you if any of the inspection is done at there warehouse.

I know i have gone slightly off topic :D but thought give everyone an insight, on how it actually goes on.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:05 am

Normal policy is your shipment will not be export from the US until your payment has been received and cleared by the shipper.

What did they have to say at the end about the delivery in Ireland and shuttle services?

Concerning transit time like UK Agent 007 they will not send the container until they have filled it. So it could take more than their standard "two weeks". Then figure 21 days for the container to sail from US To UK. Once there it 7 to 10 days for customs clearance and unloading. Then it's however long it takes for them to have a full truck to move the goods to Ireland. They might turn the goods over to another agent to handle the final delivery portion if they do not have their own trucks available to deliver.

With a consolidation service there are no guarantee of transit time nor delivery time. It is based on when the shipper has enough cargo to ship and then when they have a truck going your way. Sometimes it all works out great and it is there in a short period of time and other times it take a lot longer than what "normal" transit time.

thethinman

Postby thethinman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:20 pm

Just remember, you have to take what you read on these boards with a grain of salt! It is obvious that UK Agent 007 has a bit of a problem with Eurousa, being they are a competitor of his. I personally have not had a problem with Eurousa either in the US or over in England. If I do have a problem, I just call them and they correct it fast and professionally. So remember to use your own judgement!

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:12 pm

How do you know this? Do you know who UK is? You know what company he works for? I'm not aware he ever said! And this is the Queen of Skepticism here!

UK-Agent 007

Postby UK-Agent 007 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:30 pm

Hi the thin man.

Nah, I don't really have a problem, I do not own or work in a company, I have past experience in several positions within the industry for over 5 years.

I have not mentioned anything negative about Eurousa in anyway, only highlighted the fact there are several "hidden charges" being unexpectly recieved, don't believe me, please check through all the messages. wrote about Eurousa. Sorry but i am a loner who just sits on my backside reading through all the pages as i am so bored :D:D

Also do note majority of the comments about Eurousa is good, so no don't really have a problem with their service. :)

thethinman wrote:Just remember, you have to take what you read on these boards with a grain of salt! It is obvious that UK Agent 007 has a bit of a problem with Eurousa, being they are a competitor of his. I personally have not had a problem with Eurousa either in the US or over in England. If I do have a problem, I just call them and they correct it fast and professionally. So remember to use your own judgement!

thethinman

Postby thethinman » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:51 pm

Just going by the tone of things :wink:

quatra

Postby quatra » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:18 am

Beats me why EuroUsa would quote such a low volume (almost 30% lower than the others. 560 cft. is 3 liftvans, 400 cft. is only 2. In case they requested a quote for only 2 liftvans from their Irish agent you will be in for a nasty suprise when they find out that there are not 2 but 3.
In my opinion 560 cft. should go loose in a 20' container.
Take the container as close as possible to the Irish residence and do a shuttle with a small moving van.
Also find out what the approximate "consolidation and deconsolidation charges will be.
They may be quite high and they are normally not included in the quotes as they depend on various "logistical circumstances" the moving companies use as an excuse for hefty extra charges.

thethinman

Postby thethinman » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:59 am

Quatra, in most cases you are correct, I would put 560 cuft in a 20' container. But the Irish agents usually are not that cheap. Euro's ocean consolidation to England will be more cost effective than a 20' container to Ireland. Also, when you use Eurousa's consolidation, and they do the delivery, you do not have to worry about deconsolidation fees. They include all of that in their rates. That is one reason people will use Eurousa.

catmeister

Postby catmeister » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:22 am

I dont know if this is too late of advice.
I moved two years ago from NYC to London, England with Stevens International and their agent in the UK was EuroUSA.

Stevens was excellent and I recommend it, my agent was good too and I could forward his name to you if you want it. However, EuroUSA are not the best when it comes to updating you where your shipment is, even Stevens was no so thrilled with them. But they did deliver my stuff (about a few weeks later than the due date)

But all my things arrived safely, and I even had canvas paintings and antique marble tables. Everything was packed very professionally. Only one table base broke but the insurance check came in the post within a few weeks of my claim.

I would definitely say go with Stevens, but not so sure on EuroUSA.

Good luck!

Return to “International Moves”