mobile

Bronx-Oakland, problems with WOW

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Bronx-Oakland, problems with WOW

Postby Oakland-bound » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:29 pm

Moved from Bronx to Oakland, CA. Got estimates from several companies, based on info on this excellent website. Decided to go with Wade Odell Wade (United). On delivery day, they tried to deliver some boxes that weren't mine, and were missing a lot of my stuff. Most of the missing pieces were found later that day on their trailer (my new address needed a shuttle), and delivered the next day. However, one sofabed they forgot entirely -- it is still in the storage facility in NJ. No word yet on when I will get it except "soon". Also, they cracked the leg of my oak dining table, and broke a cross-brace and some other bits on a walnut end table (my mother's). And they dissassembled a torchiere lamp, and the metal bits then scratched the other bits -- it would need repainting, if that is even possible. The broke a lamp shade -- not reparable. They lost hardware off my coffee table. Other smaller things. Jim Murphy has been good to deal with, I am hoping they will make all this right, but this is the worst move of my life (and I move a lot). Advice welcome. This website is awesome -- thanks.
moving again...
Oakland-bound

Re: Bronx-Oakland, problems with WOW

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi - sorry that you had these problems. When there is storage involved, things often happen. I remember that we had a PM exchange about this back in July and you said you were going to take out extra valuation coverage. Hopefully you did (?). Also, did your auto move arranged by WOW go OK?
Diane

Postby CaliforniaJasper » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:59 pm

I hate to hear of bad moves.....Like Diane was saying hopefully you have additional valuation. Did they pack the lamp shade or did you? If you did it yourself was the box damaged at delivery? I hope this gets resolved quickly for you, I have heard of these things dragging out with claims adjusters coming out and not responding quickly to the van lines...or so they say.
CaliforniaJasper

Postby Big Dog » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:03 pm

The sofa should be put on an "overflow" shipment, which means it should go on the next available truck going to your area. As for the damages, request a claim form, complete the form & send it to the carrier. 8)
Big Dog

Postby Oakland-bound » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:01 pm

Thanks all for your replies. I did take the extra insurance, with $0 deductible, so hope that will help. Yes, I did need storage, regrettably. The lampshade was in a box packed by them. The torchiere would have been OK if they had taped it together and wrapped it properly, but it more or less went out the door in the guys' arms. I was running around after boxes, pointing out ones that had not been tagged (lots), asking why other things were not tagged ("it's not necesary to tag every little thing"), and there were three of them and one of me for both the packing and the moving. The sofa that got left behind never made it onto the inventory. WOW just called, and they will keep me apprised, but they have no idea when the sofa will get here. They are sending the claim forms "ASAP" -- I have to fill that out, an inspection team has to come, they have to process everything, and then I guess I find out what they will cover. Meanwhile, I have no functional dining room table and three pieces I care about are pretty badly damaged.

As for the car, I wound up going with Golden Key Express, and they were great. The owner -- my scheduled driver -- got sick, and they worked with me to rearrange things and reduced the price to help with the inconvenience. I was very happy with their service and would definitely use them again.
moving again...
Oakland-bound

Postby Diane » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:13 pm

I'm so glad you took the zero deductible. That should be a big help. (I remember that you were going to count on your renter's insurance at first.) However, of course one hopes to avoid damage in the first place.

Great about Golden Key Express. I'll add your good review to our review thread for them. I remember you said that you were going to have to pay for a shuttle or something. What happened on that? How much did you end up paying to GK and how long did the car take to cross the country?
Diane

Return to Open Community