mobile

Fixed Price Moving?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Fixed Price Moving?

Postby eddo713 » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:36 pm

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with Fixed Price Moving Systems? I am planning a move from NYC to Maryland and this company offers a pretty good price. I called them and tried to describe everything that I needed to move and they sent me a quote over email. Here is all of their information:

Fixed Price Moving Systems
Main Branch: 141 Spencer St.suit # 208, Brooklyn, NY 11205
Tel: 212-267-5053, 718-246-0578, Fax: 212-267-7242
NYDOT#T34924, USDOT#961903, ICC/MC#410399

In their email they had a list of about 20+ references. I called one and she seemed to have a good experience with them. One of the recommendations of movingscam.com is to not deal with companies that offer estimates based on cubic feet but this place offers a "fixed price" based on the inventory that I gave them. I spoke with someone from the company and he said that this price will be fixed as long as I don't add anything to be moved.

Is this company safe to deal with?

Thanks in advance for any help. I think this site is great for those looking for help with moving.
eddo713

Re: Fixed Price Moving?

Postby Tyrone » Fri Apr 30, 2004 2:58 pm

One of the recommendations of movingscam.com is to not deal with companies that offer estimates based on cubic feet

We have led you to the water... we highly recommend that you drink. :wink:

In the world of standard interstate moves, cubic foot estimates exist as only as a scammers pretext to set you up for a massive price increase. I know that it is difficult to accept that such an apparent "good deal" is too good to be true, but the overwhelming abundance of evidence shows that these indeed too good to be true.

By the way, the DOT database shows that Fixed Price is not licensed to move household goods.
Dominus amotioni capitis e clunibus sum.
Tyrone

Postby MusicMom » Fri Apr 30, 2004 10:13 pm

This is one of those where the DOT and the L&I pages don't agree. L&I shows they are authorized. However, regarding the cubic feet quote, the problem there is that they could do a horrible job packing your things on the trailer. Unless they know exactly what you have (have they walked through your home to look at every single item you own?), then quoting a certain space is not a given. You things could spill over into someone else's space. This is where a lot of scammers start piling on the dough for extra feet used. They will give you a Fixed Rate for this space? What will they do if your things use an extra 5 feet of trailer? I doubt they'll eat it. What do you have in writing? Still makes me pretty nervous.
MusicMom

Postby IMP » Sat May 01, 2004 8:15 am

Devil's advocate, here. Is the complete list you gave them referenced specifically in the quote. Does it say "as long as these are the only items that we move we will not charge you one red cent more than $_____" or did they tell you this by phone? If it sounds like we are trying to scare you . . . we aren't, we are pointing out pitfalls that those have gone before you have encountered in an effort to help you avoid the same issues.
IMP

Postby Tyrone » Sat May 01, 2004 2:22 pm

MM, there is no discrepancy. They are licensd only as a general freight hauler, NOT for household goods.
Tyrone

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 01, 2004 6:01 pm

Tyrnoe, why would the L&I page show "Household Goods"? Am I missing a step?
MusicMom

Postby twalker » Sat May 01, 2004 10:26 pm

Hey MM,

You should look at both Safersys and on the FMCSA L&I site. A DOT license allows a carrier to drive the truck. If the company is hauling household goods (and has that authority from the DOT) then they also need to have authority from the FMCSA. Fixed Price does have Common authority from the FMCSA but the DOT has only granted them authority to transport general freight.

Hope that helps!

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby MusicMom » Sat May 01, 2004 11:35 pm

I see. Since they only have one of the two required licenses to move household goods, they can't move household goods. Thanks for clearing that up!
MusicMom

Postby twalker » Sat May 01, 2004 11:53 pm

I guess I should clarify that a little bit further. I often take it for granted that we're talking about interstate moves here and my message may be misleading to people who move intrastate or overseas.

The requirements for the DOT and MC license numbers are only for interstate moves. Some states may require state licenses for intrastate movers and those consumers can find out by calling the Federal Department of Transportation in their own state. International moves are a whole other story and I suggest that consumers that need the services of an international mover read the article on this web site titled "Planning an International Move".

Tim Walker
MovingScam.com
twalker
Site Admin

Postby eddo713 » Mon May 03, 2004 10:32 am

thanks for all of the replies. So from what I understand, Fixed Price movers isn't licensed to do interstate moves of household goods?
eddo713

Postby 23 » Mon May 03, 2004 10:40 am

Eddo is correcto!

Not licensed to do interstate moving!

Postby Diane » Mon May 03, 2004 10:42 am

That's right, so you shouldn't consider this company further.

We periodically get inquiries about companies like this that claim they will charge you only X amount unless you add more items or more cubic feet. I recall one such company that advertised that it would charge only X amount unless the customer added more items within 48 hours of the move, or within 24 hours of the move--the amount going up each time. As the people posting here have advised you, this type of thing is a gimmick to lure customers and the company will find some way to avoid honoring its original "fixed price" quote.
Diane

Postby eddo713 » Mon May 03, 2004 11:49 am

So, I have been looking for a moving company to help me move from NYC to Maryland and I have called about 20 different moving companies. There has only been 1 company that would give an estimate based on weight and that one is Victory Moving and Storage which has gotten pretty bad reviews on this site.

Are there any companies that can be recommended for a move from NYC to Maryland? Even a few companies that I can have come and give me an estimate?

Thanks
eddo713

Postby Tyrone » Mon May 03, 2004 12:27 pm

Eddo, we have an article written specifically to help people in your position. Go to our home page and click on the article "How To Find A Reputable Mover".

Good luck, and keep us posted!
Tyrone

Postby IMP » Mon May 03, 2004 3:24 pm

And there are many moving companies with the name "Victory" in their name - not all victories are created equal - so be sure you are checking the correct MC and DOT #'s before ruling a company in or out of your decision making process. There are good ones out there - and the bad ones are preying upon that good name to get business they will turn bad, then guess what happens to the name of the reputable victory? Give up? Defeat.
IMP

Next

Return to Open Community