mobile

West Lafayette, IN to Singapore

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.

West Lafayette, IN to Singapore

Postby sg_hoosier » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:29 pm

I will be relocating to Singapore and wants to move my personal effects via sea/ocean freight there. Anyone has prior experience of moving to Singapore? Any recommendation of reliable international movers will be appreciated.

Thanks!
Last edited by sg_hoosier on Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sg_hoosier

Re: Indiana to Singapore

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:54 pm

There are four proven companies listed here.
MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:57 pm

Sorry, that was a bit clipped.

I did a search here on "Singapore", and found several threads (you cna do it, too, remember the quotes). Included in the information were two names that recently moved there. I'm not sure how your move compares with theirs, but you might try reading thier stories and sending them Private Messages, their names are "MovingCA" and "AlexChan928".
MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:59 pm

MusicMom

Postby sg_hoosier » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:07 pm

Thanks MusicMom, I appreciate it!
sg_hoosier

Postby MusicMom » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:13 pm

You're welcome. Please keep us posted, and if you have more questions, please write them and we will do our best to get your answers.
MusicMom

Postby sg_hoosier » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:25 pm

Is it true that we are not allowed to do our own packing for international move? A friend of mine moved to Singapore last year and the mover repacked all his stuff...

MusicMom wrote:You're welcome. Please keep us posted, and if you have more questions, please write them and we will do our best to get your answers.
sg_hoosier

Postby hardatwork » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:05 pm

Each mover has their own company rules concerning packing your own goods. Some will only ask you keep them open for inspections and others will require they repack everything.

Best to ask each mover how they handle this. Make sure to confirm if you pack yourself will your goods be covered by their insurance.

Also check to see if they offer any discounts as a lot of movers do not offer a discount if you pack yourself.
hardatwork

Postby sg_hoosier » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:18 pm

Thanks!
sg_hoosier

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:40 pm

How do I get the discount? Just ask for it?

hardatwork wrote:Each mover has their own company rules concerning packing your own goods. Some will only ask you keep them open for inspections and others will require they repack everything.

Best to ask each mover how they handle this. Make sure to confirm if you pack yourself will your goods be covered by their insurance.

Also check to see if they offer any discounts as a lot of movers do not offer a discount if you pack yourself.

Postby hardatwork » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:30 pm

You would ask each company if you self pack what discount will they offer to you on your move. The amount of discount, if any, is going to be based on he amount of cartons you have in your shipment. If you only have a few cartons they are not likely offer any discount. If your shipment contains 30 or more cartons then they may offer a slight discount to you.

To be honest normally the discount is not that much for self packing. Consumers tend to like to self pack some items so they can sort out what is going and not going and not so much to save on the moving costs.

Good luck with the move.
hardatwork

Postby sg_hoosier » Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:58 pm

Got the following quotes for 10 cubic meters (350 cf) door-to-door
Rainier - $3800
Stevens - $3895
Southern Winds - $4225
Crown - $4450
Last edited by sg_hoosier on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sg_hoosier

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:53 pm

sg_hoosier wrote:Is it true that we are not allowed to do our own packing for international move? A friend of mine moved to Singapore last year and the mover repacked all his stuff...

There are two good reasons to allow a trained international mover to pack and wrap your goods for export. The first involves international maritime insurance. No insurance carrier will insure your personal ability to pack and wrap securely for export.They will only provide a marine insurance policy if the goods are packed by a trained export packer. The other is Homeland Security and very shortly, the TSA( or one of its related govt agencies (its still vague) will require that all items packed for export will need to be packed by a known international mover. This is already the case for air freight under the Unknown Shipper Act.

Bernd Kirbach

Re: West Lafayette, IN to Singapore

Postby sg_hoosier » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:16 pm

Thanks for the advice, Bernd.
sg_hoosier

Re: West Lafayette, IN to Singapore

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Be Very aware of Singapore CUSTOMS. My company requires our employees to pack everything with our own materials for international customers.

Our shipper was charged a $380.00 customs viewing fee in Singapore for 1 lift van.

Return to International Moves