National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM)

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).
Jannie

National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM)

Postby Jannie » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:14 pm

Has anyone heard of this website: WWW.NASMM.COM
They recommend several relocation services and I am thinking of using one of these services to help me relocate from NY to FL. I contacted one of the services called Moving About NYC. They offer organizing, packing and they will pick a moving company. They charge $55 a hour or a flat rate to help you move. I cannot move myself it is just too overwhelming.
Do you know if they are reputable?

MusicMom

Re: NASMM?

Postby MusicMom » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:00 pm

NASMM has been brought up here before, but the person didn't use them because they realized they could do the job themselves. NASMM is probably an OK bunch, but there's no way of knowing what their screening process is.

Moving About NYC is not a mover or a broker. They are another service which finds movers for you, like NASMM. It is a lady who used to be the move-in manager of an assisted living facility, so she knows what advice you're looking for, at least. Now you're involving two websites to find a mover for you, when you can just find a mover yourself (and we can help you). However, if you feel that you would be better off having someone walk you through this, just be aware that neither company you've been in contact with is an actual moving company, they are advice services.

In case you decide to find a mover yourself, you may go to this link and find some movers near you (and again we can help you narrow it down).
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 1631#61631

Or, if you use the services you're asking about, at least let us know which mover they are recommending for you, and we can make sure they are good.

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Jannie,

I just called one of the companies that has excellent reviews on this messageboard, All Star Moving in Brooklyn, to ask whether they had heard of Moving About NYC. They had not, but they recommended a woman who does the kind of thing you are asking about. She will go to a residence and help the person sort things, decide whether anything should be given to charity, pack things, and help the person find a moving company.

I just spoke to this person, Susan Ross at 646-824-9296, and she sounds VERY nice. She charges $45/hour. However, she doesn't go to all parts of NYC. She goes to Lower Westchester, the Bronx, some parts of Queens, and Manhattan. She doesn't go to Brooklyn, Long Island, or Staten Island. Depending on where you are, I suggest that you call her. She is also going to email me some information about other companies that she knows about that may service other parts of NYC.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

asms29

Postby asms29 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:57 am

NASMM is an organization that helps people down size when they are moving. They have two movers that they have contracts with to complete moves that are interstate, one is with Wheaton and the other is with Atlas. If you use someone that is with NASMM they will come in and help downsize and sometimes pack items, but they may not only use Wheaton or Atlas they may have other movers they recommend for local moves it just depends on what area you are moving in and who they normally use it that area. Hope this helps

Scott

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:16 pm

It helps, thank you, Scott.

By down-size, you mean decide what to get rid of to keep the move small?

asms29

Postby asms29 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 12:22 pm

Yes that is exactly right, most of the time they help seniors down size from there house they lived in for many years into a much smaller place that they retire to. They are actually very good and helping people understand that alot of the items they have in that 3000 sq ft house doesn't fit into a 700 sq ft apartment and it helps the move go smoother at destination.

Scott

Jane, Moving-On

Postby Jane, Moving-On » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:54 pm

I am a NASMM member. I have had a business in move management in the NY metropolitan area for four years and have been a member of NASMM all that time. NASMM has strict requirements for membership as well as a code of ethics. We are currently working to develop certification. We move our clients all over the country and have developed individual relationships with very good movers. Our movers work diligently with us because we are repeat customers (as opposed to someone who moves every decade or so.) The movers know that if they work hard for our clients, we will recommend them in the future.

You can feel quite confident working with a NASMM mover manager. We can save you time, money and help you get there in one piece.

Rick

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:54 pm

The National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM) is a non-profit, professional association of organizations (including two of the original founding members, Life Services Network of Illinois (LSN) http://lsni.org/about/who.html and Parent Care Solutions (PCS) http://www.parentcaresolutions.ws/consu ... sumer.html) who are dedicated to helping older adults and their families with the physical and emotional aspects of moving. LSN has been in the business of counseling and providing services for older adults for more than 7 decades. PCS is a not-for-profit that has been offering individualized eldercare consultation and referral services for 15 years.

Formed in 2002, NASMM has over 100 member organizations like Jane’s http://www.moving-on.us/page/page/2551737.htm nationwide. NASMM is probably the largest of a growing list of state, regional and national associations and private companies dedicated to senior care. Their requirements for application are posted on their website at: http://www.nasmm.com/pdf/application.pdf

National Association of Senior Move Managers
911 N. Elm Street • Suite 228
Hinsdale, IL 60521
877.606.2766 • phone
630.325.0749 • fax
nasmm@lsni.org

These organizations provide information, physical, emotional, and psychological support to the growing number of boomers crossing the retirement threshold and facing the inevitable prospect of downsizing, eldercare or long term medical care. Physically moving a parent or older relative is easy compared to the challenge of getting them to accept the idea.

Unfortunately, as the number of seniors who have a need for these services continues to grow, the more scam artists they will attract. Several states have already prosecuted these types of rogue care givers. NASMM at least has higher standards that members must meet and maintain. Diane, sooner of later the website is gonna have to start a new Superlist geared toward senior care. Maybe it’ll get you a discount. :wink:

Jane, I’m glad you posted your comments and I personally hope that you sign up as a member and can find the time to lend your professional and personal perspective to questions that a lot of visitors to the site have about facing eldercare decisions but never ask. :D

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:24 pm

Rick, do you know Jane personally? We always like it when we can get a personal recommendation from a volunteer.

Incidentally, I think this person asking about NASMM as "jannie" may be the same person who asked about them a month or so ago as "janannie" - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10615 If so, she is moving from Westchester (Yonkers). Maybe she forgot that she asked about them before.

Rick

Postby Rick » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:43 pm

No, I don’t know Jane personally but I do know her story. Having worked with NASMM affiliates in Minnesota, Texas and Southern California, I can tell you that the organization offers answers and solutions to those who are sometimes overwhelmed by the prospect of arranging relocation for a senior. I was introduced to the organization by a customer several years ago – long before senior care became vogue. He wisely recognized the many pitfalls of trying to coordinate his mother’s relocation from the opposite end of the country.

All too often family emergencies force someone who is unprepared to handle the arrangements to make bad decisions. The unexpected immediacy of the situation, distance, a lack of time, and unfamiliarity with loved one’s physical and/or financial situation, and ”always on, always open” convenience of the Internet make it easy to contact a company who promises to take care of all of their worries and attend to all of the senior’s special needs for a small deposit. You know the rest of the story.

During the last five years, the BBBs and AG offices in the Sunbelt states have seen a dramatic rise in the number of unresolved complaints against illegitimate movers and bogus move managers who prey on the families of the huge population of seniors in retirement communities. Unfortunately these incidents don’t usually make it to the news because of embarrassment, health concerns or resigned relief when the move is finally completed.

It’s better for all parties who might become involved in arranging for or participating in a senior’s relocation in the foreseeable future to discuss the arrangements in advance of an emergency. These organizations and their members provide a different, personal perspective that can be a useful resource to guide you along the way.

Peg, Assisted Moving, Inc

Postby Peg, Assisted Moving, Inc » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:49 pm

I, too, am a member of NASMM and am serving as the association's president this year. Rick got it mostly right - the National Association of Senior Move Managers is a non-profit trade association for companies providing senior move management services. Our members are (mostly) for-profit local concerns, and most are small businesses. NASMM's link with Life Services Network is that we have hired LSN to provide NASMM with association management services - administrative duties such as processing membership inquiries, applications and renewals; planning and co-ordinating our annual educational conference; and managing our website. The fine people at LSN also provide the NASMM Board of Directors with information about trends in elder services, legislation, demographics and more, and help the Board shape the strategic vision and plans of our organization. NASMM is listed as a resource in Parent Care Solutions, the LSN-sponsored website that provides referrals for many facets of eldercare.

In order to be a NASMM general member, companies must provide proof of liability insurance and two letters of reference regarding their senior move management activities. Only after these requirements are met can a senior move manager have his or her contact information posted on the www.NASMM.org website, in the "Find a Senior Move Manager" section.

In addition to 100 general members, NASMM has almost 60 provisional members - these are people who are in various stages of getting their move management business started. While they are not listed on the NASMM website, they are able to participate in our educational conferences at member rates, and have access to all NASMM members through the NASMM list serv. Members use the list serv to discuss move-related issues, such as finding reliable car shippers, and other business issues, such as marketing and safety.

NASMM held its fourth educational conference two weeks ago in Florida; it was attended by 187 move managers from all over the US. Topics included recognizing dementia symptoms and assisting those of our clients with dementia in the move process; marketing to the senior network; ethical considerations for senior move managers; safety essentials; "packing 101" and a discussion of carrier liability; finding good employees; business taxes and more.

Although some of our members are fully-licensed moving companies specializing in seniors, most are not movers. We are senior move managers who help with the logistics and decisions involved in moving from a home of 20, 30, or 40 years to, usually, a much smaller apartment in a retirement community. By sorting through their belongings with our clients before the move, we insure that their new home will have all that they need, but not a ton more than will fit. Some move managers pack for the client; some have the moving company do the packing. Virtually all move managers offer unpacking and setting up services - we put away all kitchen and bath items, make beds, put lamps back together, set clocks, hang pictures, and display decorative items (as much as possible) as they were in the former home.

I apologize if I have gone on way too long, but I wanted to get the word out that senior move managers who are members of NASMM are experienced, qualified people who adhere to a Code of Ethics (which is posted on the NASMM website). Thank you for your patience.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:33 pm

This is all good information. I'm going to move it over to the "Helpful Moving Information" forum, and re-title it.

cave76

Re: National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM)

Postby cave76 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:23 pm

NASSM is where people can learn the marketing stratagies that will help them potentiate their earnings.
They also advertise that they will help seniors move and relocate.

Some senior move managers provide these services directly; others function in more of an oversight or management role.

http://www.nasmm.org/
Be sure the NASSM member that you (as a senior) hire is one that provides services 'directly' instead of providing oversight or management. There's a big difference.

If you're a senior and relocating to a different state you might, depending on your NASSM member, have to hire two NASSM members---- one in your present city and one in your new city. They may liase (emails, telephone) but there may also be separate billings from each member. I'm not saying that's wrong but just be aware of that.

One call to a senior move manager can connect you with services older adults and families need for a seamless, successful transition of all kinds.

Again, relocating out of state may be a different scenario. It may depend on the NASSM member(s) you hire.

I'm sure that NASSM's members are ethical---- the ones I hired were. (There WAS a bit of strangeness about the billing and invoices, but that got straightened out.) I had to dispense with their services when I discovered that they did not provide what I needed (and had made clear) concerning my physical and energy "shortfalls".

Each senior will have different needs and expectation so make sure that the NASSM member will actually provide what you need. I needed someone to 'take over' and found that I was expected to do the organizing et al. myself. Mine also did not pack. Just a word and a heads up.

A recent conference in Las Vegas (which my NASSM member attended) had three days worth of marketing strategies:

http://www.nasmm.org/education/NASMM_20 ... _FINAL.pdf

Return to “Helpful Moving Information”