mobile

Looking for good moving company for local moving within Arlington, MA

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Looking for good moving company for local moving within Arlington, MA

Postby HelpNeededJoe » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:48 am

I wondered if anybody can recommend a good (and reasonably affordable) moving company for local moving within Arlington, MA.

I contacted GentleGiant. They seem professional to me but their hourly charge is so high - almost $190 for a Monday moving in Feb. I am not sure if this is a fair charge. They also estimated 6 or 7 hours for moving my 2-bedroom apartment (very typical furnitures, no piano or any oversized stuff, and small stuff prepacked by myself). My new home is less than one mile from my old one. I feel they charge a lot.

Can anybody give any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
HelpNeededJoe

Re: Looking for good moving company for local moving within Arlington, MA

Postby Diane » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:02 am

Gentle Giant is very good but many people have said that they are pricey. Try calling Marathon Moving and Big Foot Moving in Waltham for a possibly more reasonable estimate. Go to the Superlist linked to below and scroll down to "Massachusetts" to see what has been said here about companies in your area (independent companies suitable for local moves are listed at the end).
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby HelpNeededJoe. » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:26 pm

Thanks for the tips. Very helpful!

One thing I'd really like to suggest is that you guys put a State index bar or something similar on the top of the State-by-State summary page. It took quite a while for a dumb user like me to realize that the page actually lists valuable summaries state by state - I thought it contains just some random posts there!
HelpNeededJoe.

Postby MusicMom » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:35 pm

I guess we don't think about such things. We refer to the Superlist so many times a day that we don't have to wonder how to reference it.

I bet something can be arranged. D, please check your PMs for a suggestion.
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:01 am

For the moment, I just added a yellow arrow and put part of the following sentence in bold:
:arrow: PLEASE SCROLL DOWN to see this information listed alphabetically first by state, then by van line, and finally by the name of the company.

I'm a little reluctant to list all the states in the opening post because I want people to go on to read what the rest of the post says, including the advice to read Tim's article. I don't want them to just click on a state and never read anything else.

However, let's see whether people continue to have trouble with this. If they do, I'll revise the post some more. I originally thought that since "Alabama" comes up immediately under the post, people would be able to figure out that there was an alphabetical arrangement.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Return to Open Community