Help with move from Virginia to Florida

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
frtizlouise

Help with move from Virginia to Florida

Postby frtizlouise » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:01 pm

I'm so glad I found this site. Since I haven't moved in approximately 25 years I had no idea how much I didn't know about the process. This site has helped me a least feel a bit more confident.

We are moving from a three bedroom townhouse in Alexandria, Va to Ft. Myers, Fla mid-May. Except for the need to use a shuttle due to community restrictions on tractor trailers, I don't believe there should be a lot of extra charges. The home in Fla. is vacant so we can move anytime after May 1st. Mover will pack all breakable items and I've specified full replacement value insurance of up to $75K with no deductable.

Have gotten three quotes so far --

1. Von Paris (United) Savage, MD - $13,085.50 - "Bound Price" based on moving 12,000 lbs.

2. Interstate, Springfield, Va - $6,991 to $8,672 "Nonbinding" based on moving 11,000 - 15,000 lbs.

3. Coleman American (Allied) Woodbridge, Va - $10,263 "Guaranteed Price Pledge or GNTE" Estimated weight: 14,500 lbs.

All of the quotes have included a charge for the shuttle. The quotes seem all over the place with wildly differing conditions. For example:

The Von Paris estimate has accessorial charges for storage in transit which were never discussed during the inhome estimate. Also, is a "Bound Price" the same as GNTE?

The Interstate rep. said that they would charge my credit card for the full amount of the move when I signed the move contract plus there would be a $100 non-refundable deposit. Anyone ever heard of paying for the move before the goods are even picked up????? Duh.....

The Coleman American "Guaranteed Price Pledge" is at least understandable. However, there is very little information about this outfit on the movingscam website and consequently, I'm somewhat reluctant to go with them. However, I do believe the estimate is fair based on the two other quotes.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

farrah7031

Re: Help with move from Virginia to Florida

Postby farrah7031 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:12 pm

First of all, did they all come out to do an in home estimate?

frtizlouise

Postby frtizlouise » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:46 pm

Yes, each one did an in-home estimate.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:47 pm

All three of these are great companies (although I'm a little curious as to why Von Paris in Savage came but their Alexandria office didn't). Von Paris has the most number of good ratings, from what I've seen.

"Bound Price" is Binding, meaning it won't go up or down nomatter what the weight.

Why is Interstate's such a wide weight range? Did you give them a ballpark idea of how big your place was, or did they come to your house? Non-Binding quotes leave the most room for surprises, not always good ones. GNTEs are the best.

Personally (unprofessionals' opinion here) I'd lean towards Allied's, because they have such a huge weight estimate, but a medium price. GNTEs often add some weight on the top to allow the comapny a little wiggle room in case the estimator's a bit off, and will often come in less than the estiamted weight. So the medium price could go lower if your load actually weighs the 12,000 pounds like Von Paris says.

But I think you should get all the estimates to be the same, for a better comparison. It looks like you're comparing apples, oranges, and grapefruits here. See if you can get them all to do a GNTE based on the safest weight, 14,500, and then you can get a better idea of where the differences are.

weem

Postby weem » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:46 pm

Get an Allied estimate from Matthew moving in Clarksburg,Md and/or VICTORY VAN IN ALEXANDRIA.
Be very careful with Interstate-------very careful.
Von Paris is headquatered in Savage so that is not a concern.
And yes have them all do a not to exceed on the highest weight -14500 ,LBS.
I am no longer in the industry but recently worked for a Von Paris affiliate---they are an excellent company-I state this for your information.
Ironic as it sounds the new consumer-protection laws dictate that you be provided with a list of any POTENTIAL charge that COULD APPLY to your move---not all movers do this because IT SCARES PEOPLE AWAY---THE SCAMMERS,OF COURSE, IGNORE THIS AND MANY OTHER LAWS. This is apparently why you received a price sheet from VON PARIS showing a price for storage.

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:50 am

Weem, why do you say "be careful with Interstate"? Can you send me a PM?

tristancameron

Postby tristancameron » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:00 pm

Hi,

I just wanted to put in a positive word for JK Moving out of Virginia. I used them for a move from Capitol Hill to Miami in April 2005 and was very impressed. And they offer free (used) moving boxes from their center somewhere in Virginia, can't quite remember exactly where but maybe Fairfax?

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:58 pm

They're in Sterling.

How big was your move, and how many days did it take to get there?

Do you have any personal plugs for an especially nice salesperson or estimator?

tristancameron

Postby tristancameron » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:00 am

Hi,

Unfortunately I am in moving again so my papers are packed away and I cannot recall the actual lbs, but it was from and to a 3 bedroom house/ 2 people, no kids. I think it may have been in the 8,000 to 10,000 range. The arrived in about 8 or 9 days I believe, but it was definitely on the earlier end of the range given to me (I think they told me 7 to 12). I don't remember my sales rep, but frankly everyone I dealt with was a pleasure, which is why I recommeded them. It wasn't just one good person, it was a good experience end to end. They were not the cheapest though- they were right in the middle of three estimates. I am sorry I can't offer more details, but I certainly recommend them.

frtizlouise

Re: The end of my move to Florida saga...

Postby frtizlouise » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:24 am

We ended up using Hilldrup United out of Stafford, Virginia and I could not have been more pleased with the results. From the in-home estimate to final delivery this company did exactly what they promised.

Our estimator, Ben was great as was our move coordinator Crystal. Both of these folks were available if we had questions and Crystal was very good about staying in contact with me throughout the move. Even our driver Don inspired confidence due to the many years of experience he had under his belt.

Our goods were professionally packed with lots and lots of paper! We had some scratches on one piece of furniture, a mirror was cracked and the glass on a large picture was broken. But there was no other damage and not a single thing (in our approx. 13,000 lb move) was lost or misplaced.

While Hilldrup was not the cheapest quote we obtained for our move (although our final bill came in $1,153 lower than the estimate of $10,918), I'd use them again in an instant simply because of the professional way in which our move was handled. This was a huge amount of money to pay for a move. But considering all that Hilldrup did including use of a shuttle vehicle, use of a third party to build and uncrate five crates for mirrors and glass tops, moving heavy furniture down two flights of stairs, cost of gas from Virginia to Florida, etc, overall I do not feel that the cost was exorbitant.

ArchieWhite

Re: * Help with move from Virginia to Florida

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:27 am

Hilldrup is one of United's top agents, they win awards for customer service every year, you made a good choice. Yes, that is a lot of money, but 13,000 lbs of furniture is a lot of stuff too, and probably valued at 100K or more, if you sat down and added up every single thing in your home. People don't realize it, but they have spent money and time accumulating a lot of stuff over the years, and it would take them a long time to replace it, and a lot of money.....Be sure you let the folks at Hilldrup know how happy you were, if you have not already....we always hear from unhappy customers, but not from happy ones as much.....

Diane

Re: ** Help with move from Virginia to Florida

Postby Diane » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:55 am

Thanks for this great review of Hilldrup, which I just added to the Superlist. It appears that Ben and Crystal are top performers, judging from reviews. I assume that this was a self-haul by a Hilldrup driver and truck (?).

Return to “Open Community”