Advice on Boston to DC

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
eoren1

Advice on Boston to DC

Postby eoren1 » Sat May 05, 2007 8:06 am

I'm back...
Used this site two years ago for the move from DC to Boston and ended up with:
Loaders in DC: Move Weekends via eMove.com
Unloaders in Boston: Dragonfly
Truck: Budget 16 foot that I drove up with a friend. Wife drove up later in the car with two cats.
Ended up spending about $1700.

Had to do a move one year later within Boston (Jamaica Plain to be exact) and hired Marathon who were great. Spent $1700 on that move.

Now I'm headed back to DC - this time with a wife, 18 month old and two cats. Got a quote from Marathon who estimated based on last move (haven't bought anything since) at 5700 lbs and $5354 with them packing or $3809.06 with us packing. Gentle Giant gave an estimate (by looking at photos of our place) at 6028lbs for $5498. My wife had used Allied Van Lines for her prior moves (from NY to DC) and got an in-home estimate at 5259 lbs, 713 CuFt, 435 miles for $4462 between 6/16-6/20 and $5146 for 6/21-6/30 pickup dates. Their inventory is labeled as ABC Moving and Storage. I've only received $1500 from my employer for this.

So the questions:
If we pack ourselves, is it possible to get insurance (through the moving company or a second party) to cover the items? Will renter's insurance (which we have) cover us? This is especially relevant if I decide to drive the van again.
Anyone with advice on doing this with a toddler? If we hire movers, my wife will spend a couple of nights in a hotel with him until they arrive for unloading. I hadn't asked either company how long that could/would be - any estimates?
If I do this myself, they will need to drive down in the car and then we would all stay in a hotel for the night until we unloaded the next morning. The difference of $4000 is not entirely untenable as we could ask for loans from parents but it would be nice to be able to do it for $2000. I checked with broadwayexpress as well and, using the only quote for 18-19 sq ft, came out to $2800. Doesn't seem worth it to still have to get loaders/unloaders for that type of move as would come in just under $4000 and would only save on the actual drive down (or am I wrong about BE)?
Thanks for all of the advice!!!
E

Diane

Re: Advice on Boston to DC

Postby Diane » Sat May 05, 2007 11:11 am

Hi - based on your saying that you used a 16-foot Budget truck and your Marathon estimate for 5700 pounds, I went to the BE website and got a quote of $2119 for 12 linear feet. (Each linear feet normally holds up to 500 pounds.) Even after hiring loaders and unloaders and the BE driver I'm pretty sure that you would spend no more than $3000. In my opinion this would be your simplest and most economical solution. A lot depends on whether the BE truck would go directly from Boston to DC, so that you would have to spend only one night in a hotel, but I think it probably would.

With BE, you can't get any insurance from any company against breakage, scratches, etc. although you will be covered against catastrophes (e.g. fire, flood, theft of the entire trailer) and BE negligence (e.g. damage from roof leaks - which is highly unlikely). Your renter's insurance will not cover you except against catastrophes so it will duplicate the BE coverage. It's similar to what would happen if the things were damaged while in your residence, where they obviously wouldn't be covered if they were broken or scratched by someone. But the reviews show that damage hardly ever occurs with BE, and if it does, it is almost always very minor. The same would hold if you drove a rental van, obviously - you can't get coverage for breakage, scratches, etc. because you or someone hired by you would be loading the goods.

eoren1

Postby eoren1 » Sun May 06, 2007 11:39 am

Thanks Diane.
I looked at BE again but I think that, for a difference of less than $1000, I'll probably go with Marathon with us doing the packing. They were great to work with last time and I hope the same goes this time around.
E

Diane

Postby Diane » Sun May 06, 2007 11:50 am

Actually, I'm really glad to hear that because I think they are good too and I'd like to see how they would do on an interstate move. I did already add your good comments about your local move with them to the Superlist linked to below, under "Massachusetts."
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

eoren1

Postby eoren1 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:27 am

One month late but hears the review.
Marathon was awesome! Arrived on time. Loaded a three bedroom in just under 4 hours. Very accommodating in unload date. Unload took about 3 hours and everything arrived without a scratch. Had a different crew for loading and unloading but both were professional and just got the job done. Nothing but praise for them.
Eyal

Diane

Re: **Advice on Boston to DC

Postby Diane » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 pm

Great to read this and I added your review to the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.

eoren1

Postby eoren1 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:08 pm

WOW!!!
I received a letter in the mail from Marathon that an audit revealed I had overpaid by almost $300 and included was a check in that amount! Just impeccable service from this company. Very, very highly recommended and please add this to the review on Boston companies.
Thanks,
E

MusicMom

Postby MusicMom » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:47 am

Nice!

What was the reason for the overcharge, did they say?

eoren1

Postby eoren1 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:45 pm

It doesn't say. Just an itemized bill with the overpayment shown at the bottom.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:00 pm

Thanks and I added the detail about the $300 refund to your rave review of Marathon on the Superlist linked to below my name.
Diane

Return to “Open Community”