mobile

*LD move: small town MD to NC- HELP!

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

*LD move: small town MD to NC- HELP!

Postby pigglet824 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:27 am

Hello-

moving from salisbury MD to greensboro NC. i have a 3 br home to move down to greensboro (just under 400 miles).

i'm new to this website, but i've read all the state by state info.--i still need some suggestions on direction to take-

i noticed "dennis storage" (mayflower) has a good rep, and is located in the same town i'm moving from. there is also a united van lines agent (no name listed for agent), and a Bekins agent, as well as a random Berry agent there. dennis storage is the only locally owned and operated that seems to have any reputation worth using!

i'm concerned about using any of the companies from "across the bay" in maryland despite good reps (such as beltway, security storage, hildrup, etc) because i'm pretty sure they won't drive 2 hrs to provide an in-home estimate.

any recommendations? this is further complicated by the fact that i staying temporarily in NC already and am returning for this "moving" weekend. i would have the real estate agent be in my house for an in-home estimate most likely.
pigglet824

Re: LD move: small town MD to NC- HELP!

Postby MusicMom » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:33 am

I don't know who Berry is. Find out the name of the Untied agent.

Get quotes from all three (you may want to be on the phone with the estimator as he/she walks through so they can ask you questions about specific things) and see how they compare. you don't ahve to go with far-away movers jsut because they have good reps, becuase you're right, they probably won't come that far.
MusicMom

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:01 pm

SALISBURY
BATES MOVING & STORAGE
815 BENNY STREET
SALISBURY, MD 21804
Telephone: (410) 749-7117
Fax: (410) 548-9520
Toll Free: (800) 543-1902
http://www.batesmoving.com
farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:11 pm

Berry is a Bekins Agent:
http://www.berryvanlines.com
farrah7031

Postby weem » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:11 pm

The owner of Bates is a Von Paris family member---good people.
weem

Postby pigglet824 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:41 pm

thanks folks!
I have an in-home estimate scheduled with dennis storage (mayflower), and they've been operating for over 100 yrs in salisbury....

Also- Thanks for the tip on Bates-- I saw them in the phone book but had no idea who they actually were-- I'll try and get them in for an in-home estimate as well.

Is the tip on Bekins/Berry a suggestion? I have not seen any feedback on this agent for anywhere in my area. i.e., I have no idea if they'd be reliable or what. :) Then again, I've only got a few agents to even GET an estimate from, so I may as well.

i'm v thankful for all the advice on moving companies-- there are several that I've already ruled out bc of deposit requirements, low-ball prices, or the fact that their name has been tweaked on a website (American Vanlines did this-- uses several websites masked when they send out email quotes---- so you won't be able to tell they are THE same company as the blacklisted American Vanlines!!). So- movers beware --- www.amvhq.com is the SAME website as the blacklisted company american vanlines (website www.americanvanlines.com)
pigglet824

Postby farrah7031 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:57 pm

http://www.baltimore.bbb.org/commonreport.html?bid=938

Berry only has 1 complaint at the BBB, so that's good. I'd go ahead and get in home estimates from all 3 of these movers. Make sure you ask for a Guaranteed Not To Exceed estimate, meaning you will not pay more than the estimate, but if you have less weight, you will pay less.
farrah7031

Postby Diane » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:19 pm

Berry has two locations in Delaware and there are a few comments about it under "Delaware" on the Superlist - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7588#57588
Diane

Postby pigglet824 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:43 pm

great. thanks for the info on bekins/berry agents. i'll see if they can come for an in-home -that makes 3!!
pigglet824

Postby pigglet824 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Well, folks. I have decided to go with the von paris connection-- Bates moving and storage in salisbury. Although Dennis storage has a good long history there, and they employ all of their crews, use the same crews, etc., I felt like going with the Von Paris name might be the way to go. both estimates were comparable, about $100 difference. Since there weren't any viable reviews on Dennis storage, I'm opting to go with the Von Paris name since they have a good rep in Maryland in general.

by the way, there are 2 options for me with this move: one is option "A" where you can pay less if your load weighs less than estimated, but then the estimate is guarenteed not to exceed 110%. The other estimate option is option "B" --- is bound ---and is good for folks like me who just don't want the risk or price going up even $300 more for those heavy boxes we know we have in our closets. I went with a bound estimate. I already had a fairly low estimate (7800-8300) for a 3 bedroom home.

Both also agreed to deliver on a certain date (I got dennis storage to agree to it bc the other company had done so already). In the end, I went with Bates (von paris family). I'll let the board know so that this website can have good info from companies on "the other side of the bay" firsthand.

Thanks for all the tips-- esp the insight into von paris!! :)

The move is scheduled for Oct 22nd.
pigglet824

Re: *LD move: small town MD to NC- HELP!

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 03, 2007 4:53 pm

pigglet,

I think you made a good choice of moving company but I need to make a couple of corrections:

1. An Option A (Nonbinding) estimate is NOT capped at 110% of the estimated cost. That 110% is just the most you have to pay on delivery day. You can still be billed after 30 days for the balance of the cost over 110% of the estimate (if any). Many, many sales reps fudge the truth by letting customers think that 110% is the maximum they will ever have to pay on a Nonbinding estimate, but this is not accurate.

2. There is another type of estimate besides Option A and Option B (Binding). That is Option C (Binding Not to Exceed). With an Option C estimate your cost can go down if the actual weight is less than the estimate but cannot go up if the weight is more. An Option C estimate is generally the most desirable type for the customer. This is probably not a big deal in your case since you think the rep estimated your weight pretty accurately, or even low, but again, the rep should not have led you to believe that there were only two types of estimates available to you.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby pigglet824 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:15 pm

Diane-
thanks for the tip. I do see what you mean (and what other posters meant), that option "C" is the one where someone else was referring to "not to exceed" estimate PLUS benefit of paying less if the shipment weighs less. With option "B",both of these movers would NOT agree to me paying less if the load weighed less. And they only offered me the option "A" as an alternative, not a "C".

INTERESTING. Should I contact them about this oversight? I still have time to demand the option. :)

Still, in my case, the total cost is reasonable ($2990) for a long distance move for a 3 BR home plus lawn equipment and a couple appliances. I figure the weights are most likely on target.

Thoughts on calling their bluff on the "C" option?
pigglet824

Postby Diane » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi - when a shipment is self-hauled (which I think yours is going to be, since the move is less than 500 miles), sometimes a moving company won't offer a Guaranteed Not to Exceed option. The reason is that - especially if your shipment is going to be the only one on the truck - the company has to be assured of getting enough money to make it worthwhile for them to do the move. So in your particular case, the companies may not be willing to offer you Option C. I don't think it's worth making a big deal about it, but I just wanted to make the point that there is a third option that is theoretically possible that the rep didn't tell you about. Bottom line - I don't think I would bring it up in a hostile way but if you have an opportunity you could ask the rep whether he would offer it.
Diane

Postby pigglet824 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:47 am

thanks, Diane.

I won't bother with this stuff then, but you are right about the distance and them needing to make their $$ back. It's not cross country, it's just under 400 miles but more difficult transit (ches bay bridge tunnel plus 4 lane driving at times).

It makes sense what you are saying. Thanks again for the education on this!! amanda
pigglet824

Return to Open Community