Moving from Sacramento to Munich Germany

A forum for questions and helpful information and advice about international moves and moving companies.
poorcollegeman

Moving from Sacramento to Munich Germany

Postby poorcollegeman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:53 pm

Anyone have any tips for moving. I am a total newb. I have very little to move, mostly clothes and 1 california king bed. How much have people paid to move approx 20 boxes worth of stuff?
Thanks for the help.

Noone

Re: Moving from Sacramento to Munich Germany

Postby Noone » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:20 am

You are probably at or below the minimum to use an international shipping company.
Check with the 4 suggested movers for their minimum volume and price. I can't imagine it would be under $1200, and likely more. (I don't do the US-Germany route FYI)

I suggest selling the bed, sorting which clothing must go and what can go to Goodwill, and bringing a few extra boxes on the airplane as "Extra Luggage". If you're a poor college man, save the money you would spend on shipping and go to a second hand store or Ikea-type store when you get to Germany. The money is more important than the stuff.

poorcollegeman

Postby poorcollegeman » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:12 am

Has anyone had any experience with a moving company called Aerostar Moving & Shipping, Inc?

My wife thinks that they sound good because the price is so cheap. Est $1200 for 100 cubic feet with door to door service.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:40 am

I do not see that Areostar Moving & Storage has a FMC OTI License Numbers listed on the FMC website, www.fmc.gov. Ask them for their license number so you can verify they are licensed with the FMC.

Any of these websites you are going to that allows you to get quotes from so called “international movers” when you get the replies with a rate offer send the company an email and ask two questions:

1. What is your FMC OTI License Number so I can contact the Federal Maritime Commission to verify your License Status?

2. Can you arrange a free in house estimate for me to verify the true weight and cubic feet of my shipment and give me a written quotation based on that in house survey?

After they give you their license number contact the FMC and verify that the license is valid. www.fmc.gov.

When they arrange the in house estimate you will meet their packing and loading agent, one of the most important links in your international move. A lot of these so called “international movers” use gypsy movers, guys running around in rental trucks with little or no experience in international packing and wrapping. They cannot offer you the free in house estimates because they do not have a local representative. Any residential pick up or delivery involving stairs, an elevator, and abnormal access for a large truck will incur extra fees. By getting the free in house estimate the mover you are working with can at less quote you based on the actual access to your residence at origin.

In the meantime please follow these links to very important information from the FMC concerning moving your household goods and personal effects internationally.

http://www.fmc.gov/home/faq/index.asp?F_CATEGORY_ID=18

http://www.fmc.gov/bureaus/secretary/Di ... ffects.asp

Did you find out what the four recommended movers here would charge for your shipment? Did you call local agents of the major van lines and see what they would charge you to move your items?

The internet is full of scam artist especially as it relates to the moving of household goods. It is a useful tool to find out information concerning movers and costs. However you need to get an in house estimate on any international move you are planning. You need to be sure your mover is licensed with the Federal Maritime Commission to legally handle your shipment.

Please kee coming back here if you have questions.

poorcollegeman

Postby poorcollegeman » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:45 pm

My hope is to provide as much detail as things progress. Hopefully it helps someone.

10/9/07 Today I have set up 3 of the suggested companies on this site to provide me with in home estimates. Tomorrow is the first one with RainerOS who's agent in my area is Tony Son's Moving and storage. I have not been able to find anything on this moving company but we'll see how it goes. My biggest concern is the short window that I have to move. I need to be moved out by October 24. So far it looks like we will only have 20-25 medium sized boxes. All of the companies I have talked to have said that it will not be a problem to get me moved in time. I'm sure it won't but I want my stuff back in one piece. Well the first in home estimate is at noon tomorrow. I will keep everyone updated over the next few weeks.

jengsa

Postby jengsa » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:49 am

Tony's Sons does great work. You should have no problem.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:01 am

Tony's Sons look goods:

http://www.sacramento.bbb.org/commonrep ... id=2000472
http://li-public.fmcsa.dot.gov/LIVIEW/p ... ath=LIVIEW

Tony's Sons Moving & Storage, Inc.
2419-D Mercantile Dr.
Rancho Cordova, CA 95742
Telephone: (916) 638-1888

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:33 am

I just received a PM that said the following:

Tony's Sons has been an Arpin Agent since Sept. 1988. They won the 2006 Silver Quality Agent Award last year.

It appears they don't have a website, but here's their email address: Email: tonysons@jps.net

poorcollegeman

Postby poorcollegeman » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:37 pm

10/11/07

I got the quote back from RainerOS. It is $8100.00 flat for 20ft container [exclusive use]

We don't have that much stuff so I don't know why it is so expensive. I will have to call them tomorrow. Estimated volume/weight: 750Cf. / 4000lbs.

Bruce with Tony Son's was very professional and answered all of my questions but I am not sure why they think that I need 750CF @ 4K lbs.

I had an agent from Southern Winds come to the house today (David with Broadway Moving and Storage). He gave me a free in home estimate. I will call Southern Winds tomorrow to see what they quote me for. David told us that we should only need 2800lbs and approx 400 cf, which would be more than enough. I will see what they come up with.

If all of my quotes end up around $8k or more I am going to be getting rid of a lot of stuff.

Anyone know anything about Broadway Moving?

Thanks

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Make sure that each mover gives you a copy of the survey sheet they used to prepare your estimate.

Then check each survey sheet to see if everything is covered on each sheet.

A volume difference of 750 CFT and 400 CFT is too much! Check each list very carefully to be sure they have everything correctly listed for you.

Do you have others coming out to do surveys? If so do not mention any volumes to the surveyors. Just show each mover the same items in the same order if you can.

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:01 am

--Broadway Moving and Storage, Inc. (Allied) in Vallejo.
This company's president is Paula Lopez and its phone number is 707-557-6329. Reports on Broadway have been mixed. There are a couple of serious complaints about its performance on shipments within the U.S., so people should be cautious in that area. However, we also have very good reviews of Broadway's performance as an origin/destination agent on international shipments. As of 1/07 the company had 4 BBB complaints within the past 36 months.
A complaint from 12/05 says that a shipment to AZ involving storage was delivered by an Allied driver with inventory tags missing and 7 boxes were not delivered, many containing expensive items. Note that the van line could have been at fault rather than Broadway:
www.consumeraffairs.com/movers/allied_van_lines.htm (interstate)
"SayNoToBroadway" posted that on a move within CA in summer 2006 the crew argued among themselves and damaged the home and half the items were delivered with serious damage:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7732#77732 (within CA)
Both posts allege very poor communication by Broadway personnel after they complained about these incidents.
On the other hand, "Jules P." posted that the freight forwarder Southern Winds used this company for inventory, packing, and loading on an international shipment to Australia in 7/06 and he was very happy with Broadway's performance:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9531 (origin agent)
Also, "thethinman" (freight forwarder in the NYC area) posted in 1/07 that Broadway had performed very well as an origin and destination agent for international shipments:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7978#77978 (origin/destination agent)

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 7571#57571

farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:03 am

Diane, shouldn't Vallejo be classified under Northern CA/SF instead of Sacramento?

poorcollegeman

Postby poorcollegeman » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:15 am

10/15/07

So we got a quote back from Michael Gilbert @ Southern Winds for 400 cubic feet @ $5,900. He has been very nice and helpful. He has always been available to answer our questions and willing to help us reduce our costs since we are paying for the move ourselves.

Michael talked to us about the difference between loose container loaded (LCL) or crate loaded. We decided to go with LCL since we get more room for the money. Anyone have thoughts on Loose Container Loaded?

We decided to cut the cubic feet in half to 200 and the new quote is $3,300. This seems to be a standard price for the 4 suggested companies. I think that we are going to go with Southern Winds. We are thinking of choosing Southern Winds because they are the only company that has expressed genuine interest. The others have never called asking if we want to use their company or not.

hardatwork

Postby hardatwork » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:15 pm

As long as the agent picking up your shipment is the same agent loading the container is should fine. If not there could be issues of double handling at origin. Make sure this is the case on your shipment.

In regards the lower volume did they give you a survey sheet showing your items you want to ship? If so them the list should show the cubic feet for each item in the shipment. Pick the items you must ship and see how much cube you come up with. The only question is how much personal effects items they will be able to pack into the cartons for you.

Diane

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:19 pm

farrah7031 wrote:Diane, shouldn't Vallejo be classified under Northern CA/SF instead of Sacramento?

Yes - thanks - I moved it to the "Bay Area" section.

Return to “International Moves”