mobile

No compensation For Lost Boxes

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

No compensation For Lost Boxes

Postby lukenlaurafan77 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:23 pm

I need advice asap here. I had posted before regarding using Ace Relocation/Mollerup from Atlas Van Lines for my move. They lost 5 of my boxes and it has been the allotted 6 weeks that they say to allow to look for my boxes. NOTHING turned up. They're now telling me because I was not asked, nor never claimed, anything of high value, that 1 I may not be entitled to compensation because the paperwork wasn't clear on which boxes were missing and which came through. Then they're saying if that is ok I might be only offered $5 per lb per box. That's NOTHING! How is this legal? They lost/stole over $3000 worth of my items. This is thievery! How can they get away with this legally? It's wrong.
lukenlaurafan77

Re: No compensation For Lost Boxes

Postby Big Dog » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:34 pm

Did you make any notations on the delivery inventory that the boxes were in fact "short"/missing 8) at the time of delivery? If not, & you accepted the shipment without any exceptions/notations to items being "short" then the burden of proof would be on you that the moving company did in fact lose your items.
Big Dog

Re: No compensation For Lost Boxes

Postby ArchieWhite » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:35 pm

If I had $3,000 worth of stuff in 5 boxes, I might consider that high value, and put it on the high value inventory. Did they just steal the boxes with good stuff in it, or were all the boxes loaded with a lot of high value stuff? What did you cover the entire shipment for? If $3,000 worth of stuff was in 5 boxes, then using that math, and you had say 100 boxes, then you should have covered it for $60,000?
ArchieWhite

Return to Open Community