mobile

Door to Door Vanlines - Ultimate Van Lines - weight discrepancies!

Use this forum to report moving scams, and disreputable moving companies

Door to Door Vanlines - Ultimate Van Lines - weight discrepancies!

Postby snuggleez » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:11 am

Hi everyone,

I have a problem. I contacted Door to Door Vanlines who said they would move me from Texas to New Jersey. They contracted me out to Ultimate Van Lines in Texas. My contract was $.42 a lb. On the estimate they listed 3700 lbs. and even when I removed things that I had given away they still left the estimate at 3700 and stated that it was just an estimate and i was only paying by the lb. so if it was more then i pay the difference and if it was less then I get the difference. I had to pay 20% upfront to reserve and 50% when the driver got there and the remainder whatever it might be on delivery. I didn't think my furniture weighed that much. So I made sure the guy understood and he said yes $.42/lb.

Monday January 21, 2008 the movers were supposed to show up between 7 and 8am which they did not show up until 7pm that evening stating that there was a lot of traffic. They finished at 9pm, stating that they had to charge me extra for each flight of stairs, i was aware that i had to pay for the flights of stairs because I live on the 3rd floor. The mover said a flight of stairs was 7 steps. Which we went and did a count together. I had already paid Door to Door for 2 flights and the first flight was free. That was my understanding but the guy told me no 7 steps per flight, so I had to pay an extra $110 which I didn't mind paying as they were moving my furniture down from the 3rd floor. He charged me $42 for the tape that he used to wrap the furniture blankets with so that they would not get dented. That was fine too. I read in the forum about asking to go to the weigh station, so I asked and initially the guy said ok, but when they were done loading the truck at 9pm, i told them i was going to follow them, the guy laughed at me and said "honey, you don't want to follow me to the drive station, I'm not going until tomorrow and it will be out of the way anyway." So I had no other choice but to drive to New Jersey. I had already turned in my apartment keys and everything was loaded on the truck. I kept my big screen tv though because they said it was $.60/lb for damages or loss and i said no way in hell i was leaving that with them.

So yesterday afternoon Jan. 29th, I received a call from this lady who barely spoke any English at around 5:30pm stating that i should be expecting the truck to arrive in the morning between 6 and 7 and that i had a balance. I asked how much it was, she said $675, I was shocked. I tried asking questions but she didn't understand me and told me to call the movers.

I called the movers and got their usual answering machine message which said they were opened til 6pm and if i called during business hours they were prolly on the phone helping another customer and they would call me back. This is Central (Texas) time. So it was 4:30pm here. I then called Door to Door Vanlines and spoke with a David who said he will contact the movers to call me with the itemized charges. I kept calling to no avail. Finally at 8:30pm Est I received a call from an unknown number who stated he was the dispatcher for ultimate vanlines and said my total was $675 and that the weight was 3580, which again I told him I do not believe is correct. He said he doesn't know and talk to the driver when he gets there. The driver was going to call me an hour before they arrive.

Today January 30, 2008 at 6:30am I received a call from the driver stating he was already there and outside and asked me where to unload, I told him that my boyfriend and I would be down to talk to him. When I saw the driver, I asked him for a reweigh, the guy said he doesn't know what I am talking about and that he's just the driver and he was contracted out and was just told to deliver my property. He wanted cash or money order. I asked to see the weight certificate which he showed me but I still do not believe that is the correct weight for my belongings so I told him once again that I wanted a reweigh which he said he doesn't know and I told him I didn't have the money to give him, so he made me sign this paper saying that I did not have the money, I signed it but also wrote in there weight issue.

You see, I lived by myself in a small 1 bedroom apartment which I just newly furnished. I didn't have much things. The 4 big items worth mentioning of weight are : my sofa, loveseat, bed, and dresser. And I had things boxed up in little boxes which none of them weighed more than 30lbs. I was able to lug those boxes around the house myself. Also I had a small dog carrier and a steam vaccuum. Anyway, I did a rough math of what they are trying to say I have. My 4 large pieces of furniture would have to weigh 700lbs each. which would leave me at 700lbs for the rest of my belongings. Now that is ridiculous!

What should I do now? The driver said he was taking my things to the Baltimore warehouse. I called Door to Door Vanlines and at first the guy was upset that I did not have the cash or money order but then I said I had asked for a reweigh and explained my furniture weight that it could not possibly be 3580lbs. he said let him call the movers and see what is going on. I have yet to hear from them.

Thanks,
Sami
snuggleez

Re: Door to Door Vanlines - Ultimate Van Lines - weight discrepancies!

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:43 am

You have the right to request a reweight and it should be free. So they didn't deliver your stuff, they took it back to storage?

Why didn't you believe the weight ticket? Did it look falsified, or was it missing information?
farrah7031

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:45 am

Also, contac the NJ office of weights and measures to see if they can help you:

http://www.nj.gov/oag/ca/weights/county.htm
farrah7031

Postby snuggleez » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:50 am

My belongings that I shipped included : 4 big items (sofa, loveseat, bed, dresser) and the rest were little boxes about 20 or so which many did not weigh more than 30 lbs. 2 coffee tables and a tv stand. When I did an estimate with the weight that they said i supposedly had which was 3580. It would say that my each of my big furniture pieces would have to weigh at least 700lbs (total 2800lbs) and the rest of my things to weigh a bit over 700lbs. I know that each of those big furniture pieces do not weigh that much. I am 5'3" 120lbs and I can shuffle that sofa and the love seat around the room by myself. And I don't have that much stuff. It was all in a nice small pile along the dining room. I believe my total weight for the move should have been around 2500lbs if not less than that.
snuggleez

Postby snuggleez » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:02 pm

And yes they said they were taking my things back to the baltimore warehouse.
snuggleez

Postby snuggleez » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:10 pm

so now I get a call from the other moving company the one that was delivering to me this morning. The lady says they are charging me a $600 redelivery fee. I told her that when I spoke to the driver I had requested a re-weigh to which he said he does not know and that he's very busy, he's got 4 other locations to deliver to. I told her I will not be paying that amount. She says to contact Ultimate Vanlines aka Quality Movers based in Dallas Texas and I told her that I have been trying to call them, they never call me back except late at night. And I am still waiting for them to call me. I also called Door to Door who says they're trying to contact "Leo" but has not gotten a response yet. I told her that federal law states that I am entitled to a re-weigh. I also told her that if Ultimate Vanlines hired them to deliver my belongings, then they should be able to get a hold of them and tell them to call me. I'm going crazy =(
snuggleez

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:57 pm

They might have a case to charge you a re-delivery fee. You did refuse delivery - even though it was their fault in demanding payment.
farrah7031

Postby snuggleez » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:43 pm

I called Tony from Move Rescue he said what I did was probably the best way to deal with it. Because the driver did not want to give me a re-weigh. If I had paid them and they brought all the stuff up, how am I to prove that my things didn't weigh that much.

I also called a bunch of other federal sources, all of which told me that I am entitled to a re-weigh.
snuggleez

Postby snuggleez » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:56 pm

so i did more research because no one would call me back and found a different number on the BBB, which I called and the dispatcher who i spoke to on the 21st. she was like i spoke to you on the 25th, which she did not, and she said well this phone number which was my boyfriend's and she said she spoke to me, i said that is impossible because he would have been at work all day and you would not have been able to reach me because i didn't talk to you. After which she kept insisting and I said well I will show you my phone bill to prove that you never called me. Then she changes the subject to something about tariffs, and that she's talking to someone and will call me back. She calls me back and says her attorney says that i still owe the $450 redelivery fee plus storage fees, which is different than the $600 I was quoted earlier in the day by the other lady, plus my contract states that I have 1 month free storage. All of this she still steers away from the re-weigh and the weight issue. She gives me all this stuff that is just said to confuse me more and said I will have to speak to deal with her attorney, I said that's fine I'm also calling the Attorney General she says fine do that and call me back and tell me what they said. I hung up the phone, not a minute goes by my phone rings and it's her again. She gives me this number to a guy named Joshua and said to call him and that he would be able to explain the situation to me and he is waiting my call.

I called the number and of course they are Anthem's Claim Management. The guy seems pretty nice and helpful, he's confused as to what is going on. He didn't even know what company I was talking about and I gave him their DOT and MC number and the number of which i finally got a hold of the lady because they wouldn't answer their work number. Now I am waiting to see what they have to say =/ I'm literally pulling my hair out this is so crazy. It all begins with the weight is not correct and the delivery driver would not give me a reweigh! I had the money on me but because he would not reweigh I told him i had no money to give him.

The guy from Anthem's Claim Management mumbled something about minimum weight and I said there was nothing of that and that I had talked to Door to Door which sent me an email which has it printed right on the top binding contract. $.42/lb and with words written there that if it should be underweight I would only have to pay the remainder on what the wait is. I have already filed a complaint with the Dallas BBB.
snuggleez

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:15 pm

It sounds like you are being scammed, hold your ground and call every possible government entity and wear them down.
ArchieWhite

Postby snuggleez » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:39 pm

So after talking to the lady "Tina" dispatcher of Ultimate Van Lines and also talking to Joshua of Anthem Claim Management and stating that I called the DOT, FMCSA, AMSA, Move Rescue, and threatening to call the Attorney Generals in Texas, New York, and New Jersey and my attorney,
Leon from Ultimate Van Lines also known as Quality Moving Systems finally calls me back. I guess this is the "big boss" and he keeps apologizing for everything i've been through and sorry for the inconvenience. He says they will do a redeliver next monday. He will call me tomorrow to give me the time. We will follow the driver to the weigh station where he will weigh the truck, give him the $675 that they said we owed in cash, the driver will unload our things to the house, we follow them back to the weigh station and weigh the truck without my belongings and he will give me back the difference. I told Leon I never had a problem with paying them the money, if I had that much weight of stuff, I would pay it but I do not believe that is the case and wanted everything to be fair. I asked him about the redelivery fee and he said "Forget about it". So now I guess we need to do what he says and see from there. He said I just need bring $675 and then we'll see from there. He stated that they are a new company and they are expanding everywhere and probably our contract got shuffled under the table and there was a bunch of misunderstanding. I'm gonna breathe a sigh of relief for the meantime and cross my fingers that they will stick to their word next monday
snuggleez

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:02 pm

Some background on this "new company":

Quality Moving Systems
1700 COMMERCE ST STE 1120
DALLAS TX 75201-5301
DOT#1387641 MC#528359
Licenses revoked Oct 22, 2007

Ultimate Van Lines
2929 WHITE CLIFF AVE SUITE # 2122
DALLAS TX 75219
DOT# 1712165 MC#628095
License granted Dec 31, 2007

As Quality, they had several complaints filed with the FCMSA for a variety of reasons.

Name: Ultimate Van Lines
Phone: (954) 548-0050
Address: 2929 Wycliff Ave Apt 2122
Dallas, TX 75219-6649
Original Business Start Date: April 2006
Principal: Mrs. Yaara Bachar-Wolpers, President
Customer Contact: Mrs. Yaara Bachar-Wolpers, President
TOB Classification: Movers, Moving Services-Labor & Materials, Moving Supplies
Additional company management personnel include: Mr. Leyor Iulius - CEO

Additional email: YEARA26@HOTMAIL.COM
MusicMom

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm

Tell them to send you something IN WRITING that your charges will only be $675 BEFORE Monday.
farrah7031

Postby IMP » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:34 pm

I would agree to have $675 cash ready to pay them - and to pay them $375 when you get the first weight and the balance at the second weight. "Following" them to the scales the 2nd time - after all you've been through - I want everyone here who believes that driver is returning to the scale to please raise your hand. I wouldn't give them a dime until I saw what was in the truck - that it was mine - saw the truck weighed the first time, and they were at my door with the truck doors open and enough manpower to unload. Please also keep in mind how far the scales are from your residence. Fuel weighs a lot and you should not be paying for the weight of diesel fuel. If the scales are more than 20 miles away, it's worth asking for the tank weight as well.
There are still good people who move good people.
IMP

Postby snuggleez » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:04 pm

ok so here is the conclusion to this post: Sorry I haven't had a chance to post sooner, I've been so busy lately.

So they had said they were going to call me the next day to let me know what time they would deliver on monday and that we will do a reweigh. I didn't get a call until late Superbowl Sunday from "Lior" or "Leon" saying he will call me the following day before noon to tell me when Tuesday or Wednesday.

So that Monday I never received a call so by midday I started calling and leaving messages because they never answer their phone. After leaving about 4-5 messages asking someone to call me back and getting no response, I called the number I got off the BBB and "Tina" the dispatcher lady answered and said that they were going to deliver tomorrow between 6-8pm.

I receive a call from a contractor driver from MoversUSA who said he was on his way and that he will be in the area in about an hour and a half. He was 80 miles away driving down from Northern Jersey. I'm thinking wtf is my stuff doing all the way up there, when they had told me my things were in baltimore. We agreed to meet at a weigh station that was about 15 miles away.

The driver David and his co-worker "Joselle" were very very nice. I was so relieved because I was so tired of dealing with Ultimate Van Lines aka Quality Moving Systems in Dallas Texas. I gave him the $676 that they said I owed. We weighed the truck and they followed me back to my apartment to unload. I was so shocked, the truck was this HUGE 18-wheeler that was so long, I didn't know how they were going to be able to manuever it through the narrow roads and my apartment complex parking. David was an amazing driver to say the least. The truck only had my things in it, I didn't understand why it had to be shipped in such a big truck. David said that Ultimate Van Lines picks up your things and sends it to a warehouse in baltimore, and then from there it's contracted out to other moving companies to deliver, and there lies the confusion that you will get by the delivery driver with "i'm just the driver, I was just told to deliver this".

My boyfriend and our roommate helped Joselle unload the truck. We were done at about 12:30am. My boyfriend and I and the truck went back to the same weigh station and weighed the truck again.

Well what do you know, it weighed 1080 lbs.. a far cry from the 3580 that they had told me it weighed on the copies of the weigh tickets they showed me the first time they tried to deliver.

David called "Lior" at about 1am that evening to tell him the news. It was great, you should have heard the "surprise" sound on Lior's voice when he heard the weight. Of course he mumbled off something about there being a minimum weight of 2000 and that was ok with me, I mean they have to make their money somehow, I was already expecting that. He tried to charge me $176 for packing materials and I told him there was no way, because the guy had told me $42 and it was on the copy of the contract I had. He also tried to charge me $220 for the extra 2 flights of stairs and I told him no, the guy told me since Door to Door vanlines charged me $110 for 2 flights already that they would charge me $110 for the other 2 flights since they said 7 steps = 1 flight and I lived on the 3rd floor. Whatever, right? So finally Lior told David to give me back $663 from the $676 I had given him earlier. Lior got David on the phone and was trying to say that my things had to have been 500 cubic feet, to which David said no it was about 200 cubic feet no more than 300 cubic feet, I guess Lior was gonna try to screw me over with the cubic feet but thank goodness for my guardian angel that night, David, i didn't get screwed over.

I had given Joselle $40 tip earlier in the evening. I gave David and Joselle each a $50 tip at the end of the night to thank them for being such great guys and making me feel so much better after the horror I had gone through with Ultimate Van Lines. Good guys do win sometimes! I highly recommend MoversUSA if you guys are looking to move and ask for David he's awesome and one of the few good guys left in this business!

Oh yeah, there were also a bunch of things that weren't mine and belonged to someone else that was said to be mine. I hope those people recover their belongings =(
snuggleez

Next

Return to Report A Scam