mobile

Moving from Dallas, TX area to Savannah, GA area

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Moving from Dallas, TX area to Savannah, GA area

Postby Arkayem » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:51 pm

I will be moving from Plano, TX (Dallas area) to Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah coastal area) in about four weeks. I have about 15,000 pounds of goods to move. I think it is too big for me to handle myself, so I am looking for a full service mover.

I've read quite a few of the posts here about movers with bad records, and some with good records. I am very hesitant to contact any mover without more information first.

I have already looked at the list of reputable movers for Dallas here: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... c&start=60 so I have some idea who to call, but I was hoping for some recent confirmation of one or more of these companies.

Has anyone had a recent move from Dallas,TX area to the Savannah, GA area?

Suggestions?

I'm paying for this myself; any idea what ballpark a full service move like this will cost?

Thanks,
Russ
Arkayem

Re: Moving from Dallas, TX area to Savannah, GA area

Postby Arkayem » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:00 pm

I'm also wondering whether it is cost effective to put all my stuff into storage for a few months while I take time to find that perfect house?

What does it cost to put 15,000 pounds of household goods into storage per month?

Thanks,
Russ
Arkayem

Postby chaz4moving » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:17 pm

I'm familiar with Berger Transfer and Daryl Flood Warehouse & Movers in the Dallas area. Both companies have a good reputation. In my opinion, if you stick with one of the major van lines, you'll be OK. A rough idea of storage charges for 15000 pounds is $3000.00 to $4000.00. Those charges include the first month of storage, warehouse handling and pickup or delivery, as well as, additional valuation. Additional storage will probably be around $450.00 to $750.00 per month. Storage related charges will vary based on the cost of real estate, labor, etc. for the area where your shipment is being stored.
chaz4moving

Postby Arkayem » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks!

I appreciate that input.

I have checked and see that both Allied Van Lines and Mayflower have offices here and in Savannah.

Thanks,
Russ
Arkayem

Postby bigmove » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:31 am

Archie has an office in Savanah, maybe he could do your move or give you an idea on your storage cost. It might be cheaper to have it stored in Savanah.
bigmove

Postby whodat1b » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:51 am

I would say store in Sav. Archie's (A.C. White) second cup of coffee hasn't kicked in yet. He will post soon.
Do Unto Others, As You Would Have Others Do Unto You!
whodat1b

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:56 am

You guys get up too early for me. Yes, Storage at a movers place is more expensive than mini storage, but we do all the heavy lifting and we are responsible for any loss/damage we might cause.

15,000 lbs stored in Savannah, would run you approx $450 a month, the first month would be about $900, as this includes the first months storage, and the warehouse handling ( wrapping, checking, vaulting, preparing etc) then when you are ready to deliver, approx $1500 delivery charge.....Thats a little off the retail, so I'll have to let my manager know we 'talked' so lemme know if you need more info. If you should decide to use us, you might also want a United Van Lines price, there are multiple good United agents in DFW too. (we are not Mayflower in Savannah, only in Atlanta and Macon, we are just United in Savannah)
ArchieWhite

Postby Arkayem » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:43 am

ArchieWhite wrote: If you should decide to use us, you might also want a United Van Lines price, there are multiple good United agents in DFW too. (we are not Mayflower in Savannah, only in Atlanta and Macon, we are just United in Savannah)

Archie,

Thanks for all the info, but I'm not sure I understand how you fit into this. Are you a broker? What is your role?

Thanks,
Russ
Arkayem

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:51 am

I own the United Van Lines agency in Savannah. I'm actually located in Atlanta, as we have branche offices in Macon and Savannah.
ArchieWhite

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:04 am

Arkayem-

Archie White is the head of AC White which is both a United and Mayflower agent in Atlanta and Savannah. His company has received many great reviews on this forum. Go to our Superlist of Mover Reviews, go down to Georgia and you can see for yourself.
farrah7031

Postby ArchieWhite » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:06 am

Farrah, let me make a slight correction, we are not Mayflower in Savannah, ( Nilson is, and they are a good mover too) but we are Mayflower in Atlanta and MAcon GA., just not Savannah.....United only
ArchieWhite

Postby farrah7031 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 am

6 of 1, half dozen of another. :)
farrah7031

Postby Arkayem » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:48 pm

Archie, Farrah, et al,

Thanks for all the good input. I think we have our house sold now and will have to move out by 4/15.

I will be deciding what to do in the next few days.

Thanks again,
Russ
Arkayem

Return to Open Community