mobile

What would you do?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

What would you do?

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:00 pm

So we book this little shipment for an elderly, possibly infirm lady, when it gets halfway to California ( from Georgia) she decides she wants it to go to Boston, but after a lot of discussion, phone calls, finagling, she decides to let it go on the California. Then, ( wouldn't you know it) it gets there, and she has no money to pay for it.....I don't mean she can't pay for it all, she has no money and can't pay for any of it. So we put it in storage, 3-4 months go by, she still can't pay, but she needs her electric wheel chair, and wants us to give it to her. She owes about 5K now, what with the shipping and 3-4 months storage, and the entire shipment is not worth that, but if we refuse to give her her chair, we look bad, and if we give it to her, thats the last we'll ever see or hear from her.

What would you do?
( and I won't even bring up the part about her calling the police to report her wheel chair stolen, while it was sitting in the storage vault at the agent in California)
ArchieWhite

Re: What would you do?

Postby MusicMom » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:27 pm

Well, if you know you're not going to get anything from her at all anyway, just give her her chair. You're right, YOU'll look bad if you don't.

I don't know how you're going to get your money back. Will she consent to a payment plan before you give her the chair?
MusicMom

Postby aubie2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:35 pm

I would give her the chair also. I don't know why, but I would.
aubie2

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:45 pm

You guys are softies.......Next thing you know, she will get some local TV station in on it and the headlines for the show will go " Tune in at 6 to hear about how a big bad moving company is holding this nice little old lady's wheelchair hostage"

I hope nobody from headquarters is monitoring this site, as if they get wind of it, they will give her the wheelchair, her entire shipment, air tickets and hotel lodging for a week in Hawaii, for free, and and charge it all to me.
ArchieWhite

Postby rydog444 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:00 pm

I have no idea what I would do. Try to get some money out of her while giving up the scooter.
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.
rydog444

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:10 pm

She gets the scooter, gratis, and I get charged back 5K from my home office....sounds fair to me.
ArchieWhite

Postby Auri » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:15 pm

If she can't pay, she can't pay. Ask her for the shipping fee to send the wheelchair and then you'll send it. If she refuses to pay it, then don't send it.
Industry Professional in Chicago
Auri

Postby ArchieWhite » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:29 pm

What she should do is declare bankruptcy, and then by law we would have to 'give' her everything.
ArchieWhite

Postby Rick » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:46 pm

Be careful what you wish for, Arch. Big Brother spends quite a bit of time here lurking over your shoulder.

You need to speak to your legal department. Goin’ way, way……..way back to before the demise of the ICC, the FHA and DOJ ruled that if a carrier releases one item from a shipment without collecting the total actual charges (or est. & 10%), they’re required to release every item on the bill of lading without collecting. Back then the customer had to pay the “audited” charges within 30 days. That ruling became the basis for the argument why the “doors weren’t opened until the bill had been paid”.

Coincidentally, there’s a new handbook rocketing to the top of the best sellars list that might interest those who live life using the "10-step program to [anus]ism". http://tinyurl.com/3wmhj3 “Walking, Talking Über Sphincter”. Yeah, I’m having some tee shirts made. I’ll be taking orders Monday.
Rick

Postby Fred0844 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:51 pm

Terminate the move with the van lines. Have it put on a freighter back to your warehouse immediately if you do not have one of your own trucks in the area. Get it out of a warehouse that is costing you money and back to where you control it. Now you can use whatever legal action you can to recoup your losses (ie auction). Then if you want to be nice she can pick up the wheelchair for whatever (if any) amount you decide.
Fred0844

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:54 pm

I'd get an auctioneer lined up A.S.A.P.& sell it all. You've got to collect what you can. I just had this happen to me (sort of). I packed & picked up a "TV star" to ship to CA via Allied. The shipment got to our w/hse @ origin (shuttled) I emailed the invoice to the shipper's assistant (I had an
uneasy feeling about the "TV star") & lo & behold the "TV star" said, "I didn't budget this amount for the shipment", it's $11,000.00, & I can't pay. He said he'd get back to me on what he wants to do with the shipment. I gave him 2 days to decide & then the stoage $$ will start. I'm glad I had that "uneasy feeling". At least I still have possession of the shipment. The "TV star" is "Sony Crockett" 8)
Big Dog

Postby rydog444 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:59 pm

okay, I'll bite, I just widipedia'd Sony Crockett and it came up short. Who is he?
My job is to give the best domestic and international moving services to my corporate clients by using the best movers in the world, regardless of vanline affiliation.
rydog444

Postby Big Dog » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Miami Vice Don John--- 8)
Big Dog

Postby Auri » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:13 pm

Sonny Crockett was the character that Don Johnson played in Miami Vice.

God I'm a TV dork :)
Industry Professional in Chicago
Auri

Postby rydog444 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:16 pm

Yeah, and to think I would have known that when I was 7 or 8 years old cause I used to love that show
rydog444

Next

Return to Open Community