mobile

*Advice: Move from Philadelphia to Upstate New York

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

*Advice: Move from Philadelphia to Upstate New York

Postby pkz123 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:59 pm

Hello folks
I have been reading as much as I can the last week as I research moving companies for my move from Philadelphia to upstate new york (Syracuse region). We have a 2 bed apartment, and based on the List on this website, so far have estimates from 3 companies.
Our apartment is an extremely old 'historic' building with some unique challenges. There is a nearly 400 feet walk way in the basement from our freight elevators to the loading dock. It's pretty unique, and apparently is pretty well known among experienced movers locally as the 'nightmare' place to move because of that.
Below are my initial impressions, would be interested in hearing your comments:

1. Bayshore/Allied- Based in Delaware, but apparently still does good # of moves in Philly. The guy was not familiar with my building, and was somewhat 'amazed' at the LONG walk from the freight to the loading dock. Wanted 2 day loading period, and a 1 day move.
They estimated GNTE weight 6000 lbs with all packing included for $3600.

2. Hughes Relocation- Has office in King of Prussia area. Really liked the guy who came, who unlike #1, was extremely familiar with my building and says he's done many moves in this 'histroic' building. Seemed like a well run family business. Estimation was similar GNTE weight ~6000 lbs, mostly self pack with some fragile packing by them for price ~$3000.

3. Sinclair Mayflower- Guy was also extremely familiar with my building and says he remembered doing moves here with his family when he was 10 years old! Was extremely thorough and looked closely at everything in the apartment. Commented several times on 'how packed my stuff was in the closets, etc.' He wanted to have 3 extra men come (charging extra labor 21 work hrs) to move given the 400 feet walkway situation. He esimtated weight 8600 lbs (!) for cost of $4094.

Why was there such a BIG difference in weight with the 3rd company?! Right now i'm leaning towards 1 or 2, possibly 2 because they are more familiar with the building...

Any thoughts? comments? Thanks for your help guys.

-'Historic' Apartment in Philly
pkz123

Re: Advice: Move from Philadelphia to Upstate New York

Postby pkz123 » Wed May 14, 2008 6:07 pm

Also Sinclair gave me a second sheet of additional service price list for possible enroute or destination services and costs, the other companies did not do that. Is that customary to do?
pkz123

Postby ArchieWhite » Thu May 15, 2008 11:08 am

I have known movers to see a job that is very difficult logistically, to price their services high, on the theory if they don't get the job, good, and if they do get the job, it's priced high enough to cover the difficult conditions.....You can run off good crews by killing them with difficult circumstances. It's not the movers fault the bulding is a killer, so the customer has to pay a little more for service.[/url]
ArchieWhite

Postby joesgarage39 » Thu May 15, 2008 2:46 pm

I have to agree with Archie here in his assessment. I have worked with both companies and they are good organizations. With your comments I am going to lean towards Sinclair only because he was so detailed in his examination. The labor cost is a legit charge in the circumstances. As a driver knowing upfront the conditions I would want the extra men to get the job accomplished, you don't want to kill your help nor do you want them to get an attitude under streneous conditions. The ride to your place would be filled with jeez I hate that building but with the extra men there attitudes would be good and work smooth. You should have gotten the same type of document with the other carriers. It simply documents what conditions could constitue a charge at destination so nothing is hidden.
joesgarage39

Postby BillAdams » Thu May 15, 2008 3:54 pm

Arch and Joes are right.

A well staffed crew in this situation can make the difference. You should have received an "additional services price list" from each estimator.

I would consider asking Sinclair for an estimate on 6000 lbs to compare their pricing against the others. Or ask the others to price 8600 lbs.

Are these movers proposing to take your load up on a straight truck? If so, then the possibility of a shuttle at destination is greatly reduced.
Bill Adams
Finding good people is worth the effort you make.
BillAdams

Postby pkz123 » Thu May 15, 2008 9:38 pm

Yea the sinclair guy mentioned he was going to use a straight truck. don't think i'll need a shuttle on the other end either. I don't personally think I have THAT much stuff. I'm not experienced with this stuff, but i would guess i'm closer to 6000 rather than the 8600 lb estimate. Don't know...
pkz123

Postby pkz123 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:22 am

Well after some thought and research, I've decided to go with Bayshore out of Delaware. Even though they are some 40 miles from Philly (and not quite 'local' perse), what really sold me was the attentive and responsiveness of their team. Their sales person that did the estimate followed up on things, and really was able to answer all my questions, adjustments, etc. I have a friend who's moving cross country with them as well during this same time and she've been pleased so far.
So I'll be moving in about a month or so. Will come back and post how things go overall. Still a bit nervous about the long haul required to the loading dock in my apartment on the Philly end, but they've assured me they can handle it. But so far very very pleased with their professional staff, and how quickly they've gotten back to me with every deal....

Thanks guys...wish me luck...going to do most self packing, so the next few weeks is going to be a mess in our house!!!

pkz123
pkz123

Return to Open Community