mobile

Need advice on suing "A Professional Movers"

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Need advice on suing "A Professional Movers"

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:57 pm

I need advice on what would be the best way to bring about a lawsuit against the company "A. Professional Movers" in Paramus, NJ. I will not explain the entire incident but only the highlights.

First, I called to get an estimate over the phone and I get one of appx. $1400. I then ask for them to send out an appraiser (because I was warned of moving companies being shady), and he gave me a similar quote of $1350. I accepted their bid because it was $500 cheaper than eveyone else. Then on the day of the move; Friday, my bill was $3750!! (They were billing by the cubic foot, and their measuring system was incorrect, which I didnt find out until we were in Mississippi)Almost 3 times the amount of the estimate! After all of my stuff was loaded on their truck my final options (extremely paraphrased this part) were pay them $3250 to move my stuff or pay them $1400 to unload my stuff and start over. So I had to agree to pay them or I couldnt move!! So I negotiated to $3000 and they promised shipping by the following Tuesday (Monday was a holiday).

My stuff did not show up until the next Friday night at 11:45 pm (CST). All week they were telling me that my stuff would be there the "next day" causing my wife and I to miss work throughout the week, and sleeping on the floor.

Once our stuff did arrive (it was late because their driver was driving without a license and was arrested), I made them let me take measurements. I was billed for 1100 cubic feet, but it was only 552 cu.ft. after it was measured, and I made the crew stand there with me to measure it.

Needless to say I was extremely pissed but couldnt do anything, I had to pay them or I didnt get my stuff, and they could care less. They promised me that their claims department would handle my case the following Tuesday, but it got pushed off for 2 more weeks; only to be told "I had nothing coming to me because I agreed to pay a flat rate for their services"

What a crock of sh*t, I overpaid by $2000 and all they arent going to do anything about it!!!

I need help!!! Sorry this was so long (and this was cut down by 60%), WHAT SHOULD I DO???????????????????

Thank You in advance!

Re: Need advice on suing "A Professional Movers"

Postby Josh » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:08 pm

You can start by visiting:

www.moverescue.com

You will probably find some help there.
Josh

Postby hammer » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:18 pm

Thank you very much!

I just read "The True Story" and it is almost exactly what I went through!

Do I have a chance of winning even if I live 1000 miles away?
hammer

Postby Josh » Mon Mar 29, 2004 2:36 pm

Hammer,

That website I gave you has a network of attorneys all over the country that can assist. I don't think your location will be relevant.

Hope it all works out for you!
"A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Josh

Postby Lookntomyiz » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:24 pm

I dont understand what all the fuss is about this company A. Professional Movers. they moved me from new jersey to pennsylvania within 2 days as told during my estimate. my total price was a couple hundred dollars more then what was told on the estimate but that was explained to me before the move. if you listen and understand exactly what the compamy was telling you, then you would not have had any problems. they explain BEFORE the move that any packing materials used by they're company is extra! they gave me a price list upon asking and explained every reason for the price of each box size and renting blankets ...etc. if any moving company really knew what they were doing they wouldnt go stashing your belongings into they're truck with out complete wraping and cushoning. and this company completly warned me of any extra packing materials that were going to be needed that i was not aware of. and it was MY choice if i wanted them to wrap themselves or if i wanted to supply the materials myself. so i was not surprised by this company. i have no complaints!! they worked fast and hard and gave me no problems whatsoever. i would recomend this company to any mover within the NY/NJ area. [/b]
Lookntomyiz

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:28 pm

Mr. Hypnotist,

When did you move, where did you move between, what was the original estimate, what was the final price, and oh, yeah, do you work for them?
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:36 pm

You must be clairvoyant, MusicMom. This defender of APM in Paramus, NJ, is posting from--guess where!--Paramus, NJ. I guess he didn't like it in PA and moved back.
Diane

Postby Ken » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:41 pm

lookintomyiz... is that like "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"??

It always does my heart good to see that there are so many satisfied customers of companies such as this who have time to lurk on these boards until the time comes for them to speak up in defense of a company that everyone else here knows is a sham... :roll:
Ken

Postby IMovePeople » Wed Apr 07, 2004 4:57 pm

"Renting" moving pads? Now there's a revenue stream I hadn't considered. Yeah - we'll padwrap your furniture if you want, but we're going to charge you $3.00 to rent each of our pads, and if you don't want us to padwrap your furniture then please sign this waiver saying that we are not responsible for any damage that might occur. Next thing you know they're going to tell me they charge for doing an estimate, for floor & wall protection, and for smiling!

A good company will do all these things - including the smiles - and NOT CHARGE YOU EXTRA.
Movers are People, Too!
IMovePeople

Postby BigLeeCalif » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:03 pm

Looks like I better go burn another copy of "Hooked on Phonics"
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby MusicMom » Wed Apr 07, 2004 7:04 pm

Lee, don't you still have the copy you offered to Leah available? DOn't tell me she took it.... :lol:
MusicMom

Postby kevbrit » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:21 am

deleted by consumer advocate.
kevbrit

Postby consumer advocate » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:26 am

This is a consumer advocacy website, therefore we don't allow a "blame the consumer" attitude.
consumer advocate

Postby kevbrit » Thu Apr 08, 2004 8:28 am

To "KEN"

And what is it that you are doing on this message board???? I think your comment to lookntomyiz is obnoxious....you have too much time on your hands....very immature
kevbrit

Postby Ken » Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:37 am

Actually, kevbrit, I'm volunteering my time trying to help consumers who have fallen victim to scam companies such as "A Professional Movers" and to try and educate consumers so they can learn to stay away from scam moving companies.

It's funny that you question my maturity, but not the maturity of the scammers who post to this site and play make believe, pretending that they're someone that they are not...

If you'd like to register for this message board, my dear kevbrit, I'd be more than happy to discuss my credentials and reasons for being here in private, but I'd rather not waste the time of the other members of this board by doing it here. I wouldn't dare to be so presumptious to speak for Mr. Walker, but I would imagine that my "immature" presence here is much more welcome than the likes of "lookntomyiz"...
Ken

Next

Return to Open Community