mobile

AVOID BENNY'S MOVING (= Globe Van Lines)

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

AVOID BENNY'S MOVING (= Globe Van Lines)

Postby Alissa23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:56 am

Hi! Next month, I'm making a short move within the Bay Area and I got a quote from Benny's Moving and Storage (www.bennysmoving.com, 800-211-0215, MC # 281317, DOT # 580600)) for $115/hour for 3 guys and a truck. I hired them, but I read an article in People about this moving scam website and I'm getting suspicious.....I didn't see Benny's on the blacklist, but I read some not nice things about them on the message boards. Also, when the people at Benny's called me back, "Globe Van Lines" showed up on my caller ID and Globe Van Lines IS on the blacklist. Does anyone know anything about Benny's? Am I just being paranoid? Thank you!

P.S. After my initial posting of this message, I did a search on safersys.org and everything checked out but I'm still a little worried about "Globe Van Lines" showing up on the caller ID......
Alissa23

Re: Benny's Moving and Storage?

Postby consumer advocate » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:50 am

You should be suspicious. Scam movers are notorious for using many different names. Globe Van Lines has a terrible record so Benny's may just be one of their DBA(Doing Business As) names. The MC and DOT numbers you gave are for a Benny's Moving in Watertown, Massachusetts. I'm guessing the Benny's you contacted plans to broker your job to another mover in your area and you definitely don't want that. The DOT authority for Benny's moving has been revoked four times and they've had numerous insurance cancellations. I would pass on this company if I were you.
consumer advocate

Re: Benny's Moving and Storage?

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:58 am

Thanks, you two, for jogging my memory. When I was researching Globe Van Lines a couple of days ago I wanted to look at their website so inputted www.globevanlines.com. Guess what came up? Benny's Moving in CA and MA with the address line changed. Try it and you'll see. I meant to mention it and forgot. People need to know that Benny's is an alias for Globe, which is blacklisted as a horrible offender. I've changed the wording in the topic of this thread to warn people better.
Diane

Re: AVOID BENNY'S MOVING (= blacklisted Globe Van Lines)

Postby Alissa23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:39 pm

Thank you so much! I gave them a deposit, but the move isn't for 3 weeks so hopefully I can get it back. I appreciate all the help!
Alissa23

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:43 pm

send them a Certified Letter, Return Receipt requested, canceling the move in writing. If, after two weeks, your deposit has not yet been refunded, call the credit card company directly, fax them the cencellation letter and the return receipt, showing you've attempted to refind through the company. If the credit card company has to do the refund themselves, then Benny's credit score drops many points.
MusicMom

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:46 pm

If your move is within California, your mover must have a license from the California Public Utilities Commission. This is referreed to as their PUC number, and begins with a T. ANY mover must have this license. You can confirm it's validity by contacting the PUC. You actually have a good consumer protection unit behind you for Intra-California moves, the PUC is powerful here as are the consumer protection laws.
Nancy

Postby Alissa23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:52 pm

I just reveiwed my confirmation letter and it does say deposit nonrefundable. The deposit was $115.00. Should I still try and cancel? What about the fact that they misrepresented themselves as Benny's Moving when they're really Globe Van Lines? Should I try that angle with them and see if I can get my money back?

If I can't get the deposit back, if you all think it's worth it, I'll just cancel and forego the $115.00 in favor of a reputable company!! Let me know... Thanks again for all the advice!
Alissa23

Postby IMP » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:59 pm

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY - whether or not you get your $115 back.

But still send the letter and dispute the charge. They didn't tell you it was non-refundable until AFTER you paid it. Challenge, challenge, challenge!
IMP

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:05 pm

I STRONGLY suggest you pursue this refund with the PUC. Contact them today!! http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/static/forms/complaint.htm

I think it is illegal to charge a deposit for a move, they will help you.
Nancy

Postby Alissa23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:09 pm

I just called and cancelled. I spoke with a woman named May who asked me why I cancelled. I told her it's because I found out that they are really Globe Van Lines. I told her that the website globevanlines.com came up as Benny's and that her Caller ID said Globe Van Lines. She said that wasn't possible b/c they've always been Benny's and have a different DOT number. She then supposedly checked the website herself and said she would have to do some research. Should I still send a certified letter?

I also requested my deposit back and she said I'd have to take that up with my credit card company.

Thank goodness for this movingscam website!!
Alissa23

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:13 pm

Should I still send a certified letter?

Yes! The secretary is flat out lying to you. What a joke! How could she NOT know the two companies are the same? :roll:
MusicMom

Postby Alissa23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:21 pm

Seriously!! Hello? I can't believe she blatantly lied!

I just got off the phone with my credit card company and they said they can't override the nonrefundable policy of the company, even if the company turns out to be a scam company. AAHH!!

I guess I'll take this up with the PUC, and if I've lost the $115 that's better than losing more money or my stuff.

Should I still send Benny's a certified letter?
Alissa23

Postby Nancy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:22 pm

Did you figure out if they have a CPUC number? I'd sent a certified letter AND contact the PUC.
Nancy

Postby IMP » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:26 pm

And just for kicks and because it's me - I'd also fax and email them every day until they send you your money back. But yes - send the certified letter and follow Nancy's advice - she knows her stuff!!!!!!
IMP

Postby Alissa23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:31 pm

OH MY GOD!!! Guess what!!! I just tried going to globevanlines.com again and this time cnn.com popped up instead of Benny's!!! I shook them up!!!!
Alissa23

Next

Return to Open Community