Seattle to Florida - Getting Desparate to Find a Mover

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
Jake

Seattle to Florida - Getting Desparate to Find a Mover

Postby Jake » Wed Jun 23, 2004 4:16 am

We're all set to use ABF Movers and do the house to Terminal in Tampa. The problem is that now my husband ripped a ligement in his calf and will not be able to do much of anything. I have checked out many movers and none seem to have good feeedback in epinions (the ones we can afford). I'm almost ready to just sell everything (except boxes) and just buy new once we get there. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of a door to door mover that can be trusted and is under $5,000.00? That still seems like a lot of money but I realize that nothing is cheap these days. Thanks for any ideas.

Re: Seattle to Florida - Getting Desparate to Find a Mover

Postby 23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:45 am

Jake,

You have a lot of threads going right now so I am having trouble following. Can you please let me know where you are moving from and how much weight you have? Also, when do you plan on moving?

Have you tried your local movers to load for you? I can't see how a house to terminal option is a right choice. You are going to double handle every item you own, load, unload, load again, unload again. That is double the work.

Have you gotten a quote from www-value-move.com yet? This is a similar service to ABF but is seldomly mentioned on this site. There have been some members of this board that have used them, had great moves, but never reported back here about their experience.

Good luck!

Diane

Postby Diane » Wed Jun 23, 2004 7:51 am

The same amount of physical labor is involved with ValueMove as with ABF, unfortunately, although as far as I know the company does a good job as 23 says.

ABF lists on its website at http://www.upack.com/links.asp three companies that you can use for loading and unloading labor. The first one (USA Packing) has been praised by someone in the industry writing on www.movingadvocateteam.com. I myself got a quote from the second one (Albert Relogistics) when I moved with ABF last year and was favorably impressed by the company's professionalism in its correspondence, although I ended up using a local mover instead. I believe that these companies could also do the move from the Tampa terminal to your residence. I suggest that you check into them.

Good luck, and please be careful because you are moving to the scam capital of the United States. You will undoubtedly get all sorts of lowball quotes from scammers like All American and Viking which you say have already approached you.

Postby 23 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:23 am

The same amount of physical labor is involved with ValueMove as with ABF, unfortunately, although as far as I know the company does a good job as 23 says.

Not true if he has to pick his items up at their terminal. He would have to unload from their truck then reload into a u-haul. Value-move will probably be able to door to door. I am not saying he has to use them, but it gives him another option to at least get a quote from.

Jake

Postby Jake » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:24 pm

23 wrote:Jake,

Can you please let me know where you are moving from and how much weight you have? Also, when do you plan on moving?

Have you tried your local movers to load for you? I can't see how a house to terminal option is a right choice. You are going to double handle every item you own, load, unload, load again, unload again. That is double the work.

Good luck!
Yes, I agree that a house to terminal is not the best way, but this is the only option we have with ABF since they do not service the area we are moving to. Moving from Seattle to Hernando County, Florida. No one in their right mind would CHOOSE this way, but when you don't have a choice what do you do? EVERY company I have received quotes from has horrible feedback on epinions! Full service movers are beyond our price range (over $5,000). ABF is $3,500. plus great feedback.

Postby 23 » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:47 am

Jake,

Did you get a quote from www.value-move.com or Broadway Express? I just think picking your stuff up at a terminal is a step that can be eliminated. You also have to consider the price you will have to rent a truck in FL, pick your items up, and deliver them to your house.

Good luck!

Jake

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:06 am

Did you get a quote from www.value-move.com or Broadway Express? I just think picking your stuff up at a terminal is a step that can be eliminated. You also have to consider the price you will have to rent a truck in FL, pick your items up, and deliver them to your house.

Good luck!
It's pretty late in the game for a new quote. ABF is dropping off our truck in 5 days. I made a call to the main office yesterday and begged them (lol) to deliver to our house. Waiting for a reply from the big boss in Tampa. We already know the price for the rental truck for transfer if we haev to go that route. Thanks a lot.

Jake

Postby Jake » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:25 pm

Good luck!
Great News! We got the call from ABF and they are willing to do a turn around and deliver to our home in Hernando County for $400.00 more. After calculating the cost of a U-Haul and labor help, $400.00 is quite reasonable to us for delivery to our front door. I am very happy we stayed with ABF. :D The total moving cost is still well under $5,000.00 and the communication with this company has been excellent. Our 28 ft trailer will arrive next Tuesday and they will pick it up on Thursday and head to Florida. ETA is 7-9 business days. I will post here as soon as our move is complete.

Return to “Open Community”