mobile

Place for Cheapest supplies?

A forum for questions and information about packing, loading and other helpful tips (not related to researching or selecting moving companies).

Place for Cheapest supplies?

Postby MrClever » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Hey everyone, great site. Just found recently. Must move 122 miles to another city. Two bedroom apartment plus quarter-full single-car garage (books, clothes, other things in there).
Since I work at Target, I have a lot of boxes ready to go, but I have a question about supplies. Where is the best place to go for supplies. I'm looking for moving blankets, packing paper, tape, stretch wrap, and wardrobe boxes.
My options are the local truck rental company, the local mini-storage facility, or a big store like WalMart.
Please give me your thoughts.
Thank you!
MrClever

Re: Place for Cheapest supplies?

Postby MusicMom » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 pm

You don't want to buy moving blankets. You can rent them from Uhaul (the recycled denim things, not great, but adequate) or you can get the rattiest quilts from a thrift store. Packing tape can come from Walmart or your own store. Might have newsprint as well, but I know Home Depot does. Boxes should be sturdy, don't skimp on those. Call local movers to see if they'll sell used ones (still in good shape). Uniform size is best. I had good results with boxes from Home Depot. The Uhaul boxes were thinner and didn't hold up well, with the sole exception of the wardrobe box with the hanging bar. We still have that box in our storage unit and we pack away our winter coats each year.
MusicMom

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:35 pm

Try your local newspaper for the ends of the roll for print. Clean and reasonably priced. They sell it in town here for 1-1.50 for each roll.
I suggest blankets at thrift stores. You can take the cost off for taxes on the move if relocating for a job, and donate back when you get to the other end. Another deduction for charitable contributions.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.
Movinghelper

Postby PandorasBox » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:14 am

Also search your Yellow Pages for boxes. Figure that warehouses need someone to supply them with boxes.... :)
PandorasBox

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:50 pm

I find listings for moving boxes 7 days a week in the free section of Craigslist.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby PandorasBox » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:29 pm

Another good source...

Boxes from the toy department at various stores. Thick and sturdy. :)

If you have a Kohl's.....ask for the Early Morning Replenishment manager. I give no guarantees, but when I worked there....I found it to be a great source for boxes. And cardboard pieces that go between plates. Bubble wrap....
PandorasBox

Postby lindalewis » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:01 am

I also found craiglist, the best option to find the local moving companies and get the most reasonable quote.
lindalewis

Postby MusicMom » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:36 am

Sorry, Linda, but that's about the worst thing you can do to find a licensed and reputable mover.
MusicMom

Postby BigLeeCalif » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:58 pm

Finding a mover on Craigslist is about as effective as finding Dracula working at the Blood Bank.

That's where your unlicensed and uninsured people do a lot of advertising.

Beware.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Return to Helpful Moving Information