mobile

Broadway Express Reviews (323 total - 308 good/11 neutral)

View reviews of moving companies that our visitors have used, and came back to tell us about it.

Re: 247 reviews of Broadway Express (237 good / 8 neutral)

Postby Stowe (#247) » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:23 pm

Recommended: yes :D
Date: 9/06
Move: South Carolina to San Francisco
Cost: $3000 for 13 feet
Driver: Neil L.
Shipped a car: no

I heard about broadway express through epinions. I discovered ABF
through a google search. I looked for ABF reviews, found epinions,
and learned about BE. I eventually went with BE due to their ability
to get a truck to my starting location in South Carolina. ABF could
only serve me out of their shipping facility in Charleston.

I moved from coastal South Carolina to San Francisco at the beginning
of September. I reserved 13 linear feet, but as the last load on the
truck, the driver, Neil Lyons, told me to use the remaining space (about
20 linear feet) any way I wanted. A brief synopsis of my experience...

My interactions on the phone with Tammy, dispatcher, were wonderful.
She was friendly and very helpful. It took awhile to connect with my
driver, Neil, due to his cellphone going out. We spoke two days
before my scheduled load date. He arrived the night before my load
and said he'd be ready first thing in the morning (Friday). I found
his truck the next morning (parked in a nearby shopping center) and
we had breakfast together at waffle house.

I had a few friends come to help (the last minute scheduling with
Neil made that bit more difficult), but Neil was a HUGE help loading
the truck. He couldn't get the truck into my driveway, so it was
parked on a nearby side street. I had to ferry loads in my pickup
from the house to the truck. Neil ran the show in the back of the
truck while i organized the shuttling of stuff. I deferred to his
loading experience and he was happy to help.

I tipped him well and said adios to him and my stuff until the next
Friday. He headed off to Kentucky for a day or two of fishing. I
planned to leave Sunday morning, driving to San Francisco.

Neil called on Tuesday to say he needed to deliver my stuff on
Thursday. I said I couldn't drive fast enough to make it SF before he
did. He worked it out with dispatch at BE and we reconfirmed a Friday
delivery. I arrived in SF that Thursday evening. Neil slept at a
truck stop outside of Oakland. I was to call him the next morning
around 11 with directions. Well, at 10 he called and said he was
lost near my neighborhood. I got online, figured out where he was,
and steered him to my house. As a new arrival in SF, navigating an 18
wheeler over the phone was stressful. But Neil and I already were
buds, so it was also a good laugh.

He had a helper with him, who helped me unload. Neil also helped.
After 2 hours, the truck was empty of my stuff. I gave both guys a
beer and Neil actually took a shower at my house before finding a
place to park his truck and check out San Francisco for the afternoon.

Overall, I had a great experience with BE. I'd recommend them to
anyone. I encourage everyone to listen to the experience of the
driver. If they offer to help, accept that offer, tip well, and work
at least as hard as they do to earn respect.

Good luck with your own move.

Stowe
Stowe (#247)

Re: 248 reviews of Broadway Express (238 good / 8 neutral)

Postby bensy (#248) » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:40 pm

Date: 8/06-9/06
Move: San Francisco, CA, to Somerville, MA
Cost: $2700 for 10 feet (used only 9 feet)
Driver: Tim R.

this is my review of a recent move with broadway express. i moved from san francisco to somerville, ma on 8/30/06. i'm posting this late b/c i've been very busy. i would very much recommend this mover.

my move cost $2700 for 10 linear feet. (i had to pay city surcharges on both ends.) the website gave me an estimate of 9 ft., and that's what i used. i probably could have squeezed it into 8.

my driver, tim rhoades, was great. he was a good communicator, and a fun guy to talk to. he was a lot of help loading the truck -- i paid him 30/hr, and it was well worth it.

i had 5 people help load (including tim) and 4 unload (no tim). both took exactly 2 hrs. nothing was damaged!

i have only 2 minor gripes. the first is VERY minor. tim was my 3rd scheduled driver. so i had to go through the whole rigamarole (giving directions, swapping phone numbers, and other stuff) more than i should have. plus it's unnerving to keep switching. one driver's truck broke down, and the other was shifted to another load for some reason.

second, everyone else on my load specified pick up AND delivery times. i didn't. this meant that i got stuck with a schedule that didn't work well for me. i didn't know that one could ask for specific dates, but apparently, you can. i know this because when i asked to get the end date moved a couple days, margaret said they couldn't b/c they promise the people on either side of me certain dates. i should add that when i contacted the dispatcher, he was more flexible, although nothing ended up changing. my stuff was delivered on the 8th of september, which is relatively quick, i know. like i said, this is a minor gripe.

here are a couple of suggestions for everyone.

first, make sure you get parking permits if you live in a city. the first two drivers i had seemed to think it would be ok to double park on the 4-lane street outside my apartment. but tim said that if someone ran into his truck, i'd be liable. that scared me, so i paid for the permit. i was glad i did, b/c the police station said that they charged double-parked moving companies a $1000 fine.

second, the drivers totally depend on you to give them directions. i find this kind of weird. gps isn't that expensive. anyway, if you don't have a car, this can be tough, b/c you have to scout the whole route to look for bridges, low power lines, etc. it was especially hard in somerville, because i had just gotten there and didn't know anything about the area. plus, the roads and drivers here are crazy!

but that said, i'll totally move with them in the future.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10412
bensy (#248)

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (249 total: 238 good/8 neutral)

Postby BrentNicholas (#249) » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:13 pm

Date: 11/06
Move: Michigan to Colorado
Cost: About $2700 (?) for 18 feet
Driver: Mike S.
Booked through Movex

Howdy -

So we just got done using Move-Ex. In short a good experience. Though I've not used others, aside from U-haul for local moves.

I feel that this is a good company to use. Why? Well they are a reseller, so they've got a bit of clout when it comes to getting what they want from their vendors, or they'll stop using them. I didn't need to expereince that side to things though.

our experience:

Why:
I talked to the people at movex after compiling a spread sheet of all the competators and their prices/features. I talked to them about why I should go with them. The bottom line: They were just a little bit more expensive than ABF, but what decided it was not having to worry about this and that. Like ramps, wheel carts, pads, advice. It's all included.

How it went down:
The driver (Mike Smith) called me on Friday to discuss our options for load in on Monday. He was from Broadway and gave me his cell number. We worked out the time and he was there within a half hour of the time he stated. We talked about how to load in, then I waited for the family to show up and help out. He stayed with the truck while we loaded in. At various points he gave advice on how to load things in. When were done he put in the bulk head that was not to be moved for the whole trip.

Prior to him leaving:
We signed the forms, and talked about when he'd be around at our destination.

Arrival at Location:
We talked again a few days before he got there, it happened to work out that he could be early, so we unloaded 2 days ahead of schedule. The bulk head had not been moved, wheel carts and ramps were there again as when we loaded in.

Overall: No problem at all.

Advice to others:
Bottom line, this is freight and others are signing on to the truck as your load gets shipped, so you need to understand tight dealines (on delivery) are unrealistic. Your load in date is firm, no worries there. You want to try and be first to load in so you don't wait for others ahead of you. You also want to work WITH the driver, be nice, don't demand and understand he/she has many obligations and logistics to manage. Otherwise you can land at the bottom of their "Do I care?" list. As for broken stuff... if you pack it right it'll get there ok since they DO NOT unload your stuff. If you don't pack right, you're on your own.

Anyway, I'd use Move-Ex again.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4599#74599

[Editor's note by Diane: This review was originally posted on a Movex thread but I have re-posted it here since the Broadway Express driver clearly deserves most of the credit for this good move.]
BrentNicholas (#249)

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (250 total: 240 good/8 neutral)

Postby D. Buck (#250) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:48 pm

Recommended: yes :D - highly recommended
Date: 12/06
Move: New Orleans to Dallas, TX
Cost: $1057 for 7 feet
Driver: Larry Z.

My overall experience with BE was great. From start to finish, I was most pleased. Diana (dispatcher) was very thorough and consistent. We spoke on several occasions before I actually booked my move. Then there was Zeke [Larry Zuelke], my assigned and heaven-sent driver. He was awesome. we became fast friends, Zeke contacted me a week prior to my scheduled move date. We kept in constant contact throughout.

He arrived on time and was loaded up and out within a hour and a half. I was actually able to take more items because there was extra room on the truck. Due to a cancellation, Zeke was to arrive at my destination (drop-off) a day ahead. Although I was in flight to get there, we worked it out and he was ready to unload my goods as I arrived from the airport. I must say that nothing was damaged. The timing couldn't have worked out better.

More importantly, the customer service was outstanding. I always felt well informed of my move from every step. BE has exceptional customer service and with a dispatcher like Diana and a driver like Zeke, new and returning customers should have no worries. I read horror stories about other companies and was a bit skeptical. I went into this move blind but became very educated on moving. Thanks to this website and a reputable company like BE, you take the pain out of moving and that's a true blessing.

Also, to add: I contracted BE on my own. I felt that the pricing was better than going through a Broker. Additionally, the Brokers were very pushy and I felt as if they were just trying to get business. Some appeared very pushy and scared me away. I found the company via MoveEx; however, I called the company directly and hired them myself. I also used helpers to unload my items at my destination.

I realize I took a chance doing this all on my own but it worked and I saved money in doing so. Additionally, I was in direct contact with my actual driver and helpers and bypassed the service companies (brokers/3rd party).

I must add, that I am a female and to have scheduled this all alone without any prior knowledge, I am most pleased. It was well worth the expense. Pricing was also comparable to others out there, but BE stands alone with price coupled with service!!! THANK YOU Broadway Express & movingscam.com.
D. Buck (#250)

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (251 total - 241 good/8 neutral)

Postby CA to CT (#251) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:18 pm

Date: 10/06
Move: Los Angeles to New Haven, CT
Cost: $2780 for 11 feet
Driver: John B.

I was asked to post this review by "Diane" -

In October 2006 my wife and I moved from Los Angeles, CA to New Haven, CT. We chose Broadway Express to make our move based on the price (they were actually cheaper than U-Haul), the convenience (not having to drive a giant truck) and the fact that Broadway used trucks with an "air ride suspension".

On the California end, things went pretty smoothly. We used a bunch of friends and the truck was loaded very quickly. We had used a couple of different estimating tools (including getting a quote from a full-service company) and found that our stuff fit easily in the 11 linear feet we had reserved. Our driver, John Blum, did a nce job directing the move and packing things in.

On the CT end, the move wasn't quite as smooth. Late on a Friday afternoon (2:30? 3:00?) The driver called to inform us that he was arriving on Saturday morning. We had planned to hire professional help (eMove.com), but given that it was Friday afternoon, I was left without much time to arrange for this. I was somewhat panicked, but the guys from eMove came through for me. I really would have appreciated a little bit more warning on the delivery end.

As we unpacked everything we were pretty amazed. A number of the boxes looked pretty beat-up, but absolutely nothing inside was damaged, except for a single, very small, and very fragile piece of glass artwork (which admittedly wasn't packed very well, and may have even been broken during the packing/unpacking process).

Overall I was satisfied with the company, but I felt that the move could have been even smoother if they had given me a bit more warning about the delivery date.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 8415#78415
CA to CT (#251)

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (252 total - 242 good/8 neutral)

Postby Ben G. (#252) » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:54 pm

Date: 10/06
Move: San Diego to Jacksonville, FL
Cost: About $3000 for 14 feet
Driver: Robert Y.

We used BE for our move from San Diego to Jacksonville, Florida in late October. I would definately recommend them. I think we used 14 feet and it cost us just under 3000$. Our driver was Robert Young and he was really nice. He helped load the truck and only charged a flat fee for it, not hourly which saved us a lot of money.

He arrived at our destination a lot earlier than we thought he would, which was really nice. The only problem we had is that we didn't hear from him until the night before our move so that kind of messed up the plan we had to leave a day earlier. All in all, I think BE did a wonderful job and our driver Robert was great.
Ben G. (#252)

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (253 total - 243 good/8 neutral)

Postby jeanreid (#253) » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:49 pm

Move: FL to New Mexico
Cost: About $3800 for 22 feet
Driver: Bob O.

I completed a move with Broadway Express (Illinois) last month(Dec 2006). I moved from Florida to New Mexico. I just posted a comment today. It was a pack it myself in boxes kind of move and I cannot say enough good stuff about Broadway Express, Margaret in the office and driver Bob Ostrowski--22 linear feet in a semi loaded and unloaded without a single lost or broken item!On time, quality service at a reasonable price!

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 8993#78993
jeanreid (#253)

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (254 total - 244 good/8 neutral)

Postby craazylisa (#254) » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:21 pm

Move: Lake Tahoe, NV, to Sarasota, FL
Cost: $2175 for 10 feet
Driver: Darrell V.

MY HUSBAND AND I MOVED FROM LAKE TAHOE, NEVADA TO SARASOTA, FLORIDA IN THE BEGINNING OF DECEMBER. IT IS A HUGE MOVE FOR US AND THE STRESS HAS BEEN FAR MORE THAN WE ANTICIPATED. AS YOU ALL KNOW, MOVING IS ONE OF THE MOST STRESSFUL THINGS IN LIFE. BROADWAY EXPRESS WAS LIKE A BEACON OF LIGHT IN THE FOGGY DAYS OF PACKING OUR HOME, DRIVING OUR CARS ACROSS THE COUNTRY WITH OUR SENIOR DOGGY, AND SEARCHING FOR A NEW HOME.

THEY MADE THE ACTUAL MOVE FAR EASIER THAN WE COULD HAVE IMAGINED. OUR DRIVER DARRELL VANDERSLUIS (AND HIS ADORABLE DOG) WAS ON TIME AT OUR STORAGE UNIT IN CARSON CITY, ON TIME AT OUR NEW HOME IN SARASOTA, SUPER PROFESSIONAL AND COURTEOUS.

I WOULD HIGHLY RECCOMEND USING THIS COMPANY FOR YOUR CROSS COUNTRY OR INTRASTATE MOVES. THEY ARE RELIABLE, FRIENDLY AND VERY RESONABLY PRICED. WE NEVER WORRIED ABOUT OUR LOAD, AS DARRELL KEPT IN TOUCH WITH US ALONG THE ROUTE AND IMMEDIATLY RETURNED ANY CALLS WE MADE TO HIM.

THIS COMPANY IS AMAZING - 5 STARS!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11113
craazylisa (#254)

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (255 total - 245 good/8 neutral)

Postby Diane » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:12 pm

I am re-posting this for "nanni000" and it is Review #255.

Date: 1/07-2/07
Move: Detroit, MI to San Francisco
Cost: $2120 for 10 feet
Driver: Eddie A.

Well it has taken me ages to post my review on here, but since this site was a lot of help to me, it was the least i could do. On January 31st my boyfriend and I moved from Detroit, MI to San Francisco, CA. The total cost for 10 feet was 2120.00. Everything was a good experience.

We were the last pickup in the truck, so i was a little worried if we needed extra space cause there clearly wasn't any in the truck. We were the second delivery. Our delivery dates were between the 4th of feb and the 11th. The things were here on the 5th.

Our driver Eddie Alvarez was great, except when we loaded our things, he told us that since it took us 6 hrs to load (it was only my boyfriend and I), he was going to charge me extra (to the tune of 35.00 each additional hour over 4 hours). He said that in my contract it said that you have a certain amount of time to load the truck, dependent on how much space you have. I immediatly reread the contact and found no such thing. I called BE and they said that Eddie normally deals with another dispacher and they charge for extra hours. Since my dispacher was Margaret (who was fantastic), she does things differently and ignore what Eddie said.

So everyone was happy and he apoligized for the miscommunication. So alls well. If I ever decide to move again it will probably be through this company.

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10893
Diane

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (256 total - 246 good/8 neutral)

Postby ChrisC » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:58 pm

[Editor's note by Diane: I can't insert the number but this is Review #256 - first installment.]

Recommended: yes, so far
Date: Planned for 3/20/07 [will update later]
Move: San Diego, CA to Windsor Locks, CT
Cost: $7422 for entire 53-foot trailer
Driver: Not yet known
Shipped a car: yes, 2

So far, I have spoken with Margaret Lustig twice and Tammy once. Margaret is real people and is very helpful. She didn't rush me nor sound aggrivated that I was full of questions [specifically about my situation]. When she was unable to answer a couple questions I had about the truck she grabbed a driver off the property [Zeke, real nice guy] and put him on the phone. I live practically downtown so access was a concern. In addition, the street I live on, C street, is sloped quite a bit. Zeke told me that it wouldn't be a problem and that the slope will work favorably since the nose of the truck will be pointed downward, as this will help to keep the load packed tight. Margaret was able to specifically request a driver to be a 'driver assist'. Meaning, one that I can hire the services of to help load/pack. Cross my fingers, hopefully I will get one since I am out here pretty much alone with a only a few friends. I will be also hiring a couple of professional movers, but haven't looked into that just yet.

I called SDPD and asked about parking. They said no permit is required and I can figure out how to work it, as long as I'm not blocking traffic. They said that even if there were a problem that as long as the driver is always with the vehicle that the worst case scenario would be to have to move the truck. I am hoping to get curbside parking, as I am scheduling the driver to arrive as soon as the street sweeping parking ban is expired [10am]. I will use my two cars and my friend's car to use as place holders in case he isn't here promptly at 10am.

We are packing very maticulously with tons of bubble wrap. Buy it from ULINE.com. Good price for 188' rolls. Consistently quick delivery and good products. I also discovered a nifty item. Rubbermaid makes a cedar Roughneck storage tote [item# 2215-cd-cedar]. They are about $15 each. You can get a good deal on them at acehardware.com where you can get 12 for $161.89 [$13.50 ea.]. They offer FREE shipping to a local store near you. I also bought the cedar blocks, balls, and shelf liners [brand name- Cedar Fresh] from Ace as well. These will be a little extra piece of mind to help deter the pesky silverfish [gotta love California].

My goal is to utilize the garage we have which is right next to the curb where the truck will be parked. If I can get the bulky/heavy items in the garage then the process to load the truck would be literally 6 feet to the truck door and no steps, just the ramp into the truck. As opposed to the two flights of strairs and the 25' foot walkway out to the curb.

I have provided a credit card so that they can commit me for the date and assign a driver. I will try to snap some photos of everything and keep updates coming.
ChrisC

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (257 total - 247 good/8 neutral)

Postby MightyMac » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:16 pm

[Editor's note by Diane: I can't insert the number but this is Review #257.]

Recommended: yes
Date: 2/07
Move: NJ to Tucson, AZ
Cost: $4118 for 26 feet
Driver: Randy V.
Shipped a car: yes (1999 Lincoln Continental)

Well here we go I started out contacting many companies and doing my research online. I stumbled upon movingscam.com and I learned a whole lot in a short amount of time. I decided after reading over many posts on Broadway Express that I would give them a call. I spoke with a Diana N. and she quoted me eighteen feet on the initial quote. I contemplated the footage after the first quote and decided that might not be enough with two bedrooms and 115 boxes and a car. I called back and asked for Diana and she re quoted me a price for the new footage.

Once I decided that I was going to go with Broadway express I called up and placed the order and we setup the move date for the 16 of February. I inquired about moving a car and how that worked and Diana told me that I might be able to get the car up on ramps that “SOME” drives have but it would be best if I get a “Rollback Tow Truck” to pick the car up. She told me it usually costs about 65-80 dollars with most tow companies. I decided that it would be beneficial to me air on the side of caution and order a truck for the big day.

Diana told me the night before the move the driver whom was unknown at the time would call me and get all my contact info if he did not already have it. The night before the big day a gentleman by the name of Randy V. gave me a call and told me that he was already in town at the local truck stop and wanted to know about the load. I informed him that he was also taking a car on this trip which he was a bit surprised about. He sat with me a figured out the “load out” for the truck and I gave him directions to the house for the morning. I also discussed about paying Randy to help load the truck and I decided that it would be in my best interest to hire him. READ THIS: I would recommend that ANYONE not thinking about using the driver should reconsider - if I had not paid this driver I would not have know n how to setup the truck to accommodate the load.

Randy called around 7:30 am and told me he had become a little lost but with some quick direction adjustments we were able to get him back on track. When Randy arrived at 8:30 I went out to the truck and greeted him and he came back to the house and we had a cup of coffee and talked about his trip. Randy is all business we did not waste time getting the truck prepared as we waited for the tow truck we setup the supports that would hold all the goods over top of the car. Around 10:00 the tow truck showed up and we loaded the car onto the truck with out any major issues.

Once the car was loaded randy had to backup the street and pull in my driveway since we would be loading the truck from the right side doors. Randy was very apologetic that he did not have his lowboy trailer since it was damaged in a incident in Florida. Once Randy pulled into the driveway we setup plywood ramps which was his GREAT idea and then we connected the ramp to the stairs and setup the Steel ramp to the truck. With family members helping and Randy packing the trailer we finished in about four hours. I actually used only 18 feet.

Once the truck was all packed up I purchased some hoagies for everyone and we sat down for lunch. When Randy was ready to leave I signed all my goods over to him and told him I would see him in Tucson.

I called Randy a couple of time during while waiting for my goods just to check and see how everything was going. I flew out to Tucson on the 22 and Randy arrived in town on the 27th I believe, before he arrived I made sure to call up a tow company and have them arrive before Randy did. Once we offloaded the car Randy backed in the truck and we offloaded the truck in about two hours. When we were all finished I thanked Randy for the excellent experience and getting my goods to us safely.

There was a small incident with Randy where he was going to adjust when the car was dropped off but the timeline for how things were going never played out and the car came with the goods.

Over all this was a BLAST to have Broadway Express do this move I would highly recommend Randy and Broadway Express to all my friends and family who plan to move. The best advice I can give anyone is plan for the unexpected along the way and plan that you will ALWAYS need more boxes :^).

Mac
Mac
The only right choice is the one that you make with your gut.
MightyMac

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (258 total - 248 good/8 neutral)

Postby jonv79 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:13 am

[Editor's note by Diane: I can't insert the number but this is Review #258.]

Date: 3/07
Move: Urbana, IL to Tacoma, WA
Cost: $2002 for 10 feet
Driver: Gayland G.

When we accepted an offer on our house in early February, I knew that moving to Washington State would be a challenge. I also knew I didn't want to drive an UHaul across the country, so I started looking for alternatives. This site, along with many, many others helped me discover what alternatives were available.

I contacted Broadway Express early on, and was very happy with the service I received. The staff was friendly and helpful. We had a little added stress since the buyers final cutoff date for financing was just under two weeks before closing. Thankfully, Broadway Express worked with the shortened deadlines beautifully.

My only "complaints" as it would be were with the driver, Gayland Grogg. I had to contact Broadway Express and get his information less than 48 hours before the move as I had not heard anything. Having to give him directions was odd also, especially since he came a different way despite the given directions. He also seemed adamant about the city "having" to allow him to park in front of our house on a busy corner even though I had only gotten permission from the city for him to park on the side. Despite all this, he showed up early, mentioned he'd be in Tacoma on Monday more than likely and went on his way.

The load itself went fine, the driver helped only a little given a recent heart bypass surgery. He did direct and ensured that the load was well packed. He also refused any tip which I found odd. We loaded up about 8 of the 10 feet I had reserved in about 3 hours.

The delivery was trickier as I had no knowledge of Tacoma, Washington. Also, he picked up our stuff on Wednesday, and we didn't close until early Thursday morning. So he had a day of travel before we could start the drive across the country. I wasn't overly worried though since he promised to call when 24 hours out.

Well, by Sunday I still hadn't heard anything from the driver. We were in Oregon, about 6 hours away from Tacoma. I then get a call from the driver asking when I want delivery. It seems he is already in Tacoma and waiting to deliver. I mention I am in Oregon and haven't even signed the lease for the new apartment yet. He very begrudgingly agrees to a 9 a.m. delivery on Monday.

We get to Tacoma around 5 p.m. and settle into the apartment for the night. At around 7 the next morning I notice that the truck is already outside our apartment complex. The apartments are above a business and he is in the middle of a busy street since the loading zone has not been emptied. I basically decide to ignore him since I said 9 a.m. since I figured people who were heading to work would be gone by then. Also, the apartment office wasn't open until 8.

At 7:45 he calls, and I tell him I will do what I can to get the loading zone emptied but that obviously I am at the mercy of the complex and its residents. He mentions the loading zone states that there is "no parking" in it from 7 until 5 and that people should follow directions. I bite my tongue since he showed up almost 2 hours early, which was not following directions.

Anyway, we start the unload around 8:30. It takes about 2 hours and towards the end, the driver gets antsy since he has one more drop off and is bound to start picking up loads again starting on Tuesday.

Overall, the driver was helpful, though impatient and not very prompt in communication. I was glad he helped with the load, though a little upset he was early by 45 minutes or more on both ends of the trip. I also would have liked a little more communication between us, and while I could have easily called him, I was moving with 2 cars and 2 cats. So I was a little preoccupied.

I liked the service Broadway Express offered and was happy with the results. Nothing was broken and I had access to plenty of furniture pads to protect my stuff. The driver was efficient, if impatient, and the end result was less stressful (and cheaper) than driving a moving truck myself.

[Editor's note by Diane: thanks for this balanced review. I have met Gayland and I think you have described him pretty well. He is basically a very nice person. He probably refused a tip because he thought that he wasn't really able to do much to help you, given his recent heart surgery.]
jonv79

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (258 total - 248 good/8 neutral)

Postby ChrisC » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:43 pm

**Diane- I wrote part 2 below my original message**

ChrisC wrote:[Editor's note by Diane: I can't insert the number but this is Review #256 - first installment.]

Date: Planned for 3/20/07 [will update later]
Move: San Diego, CA to Windsor Locks, CT
Cost: $7422 for entire 53-foot trailer
Driver: Woody Kuhne
Shipped a car: yes, 2

So far, I have spoken with Margaret Lustig twice and Tammy once. Margaret is real people and is very helpful. She didn't rush me nor sound aggrivated that I was full of questions [specifically about my situation]. When she was unable to answer a couple questions I had about the truck she grabbed a driver off the property [Zeke, real nice guy] and put him on the phone. I live practically downtown so access was a concern. In addition, the street I live on, C street, is sloped quite a bit. Zeke told me that it wouldn't be a problem and that the slope will work favorably since the nose of the truck will be pointed downward, as this will help to keep the load packed tight. Margaret was able to specifically request a driver to be a 'driver assist'. Meaning, one that I can hire the services of to help load/pack. Cross my fingers, hopefully I will get one since I am out here pretty much alone with a only a few friends. I will be also hiring a couple of professional movers, but haven't looked into that just yet.

I called SDPD and asked about parking. They said no permit is required and I can figure out how to work it, as long as I'm not blocking traffic. They said that even if there were a problem that as long as the driver is always with the vehicle that the worst case scenario would be to have to move the truck. I am hoping to get curbside parking, as I am scheduling the driver to arrive as soon as the street sweeping parking ban is expired [10am]. I will use my two cars and my friend's car to use as place holders in case he isn't here promptly at 10am.

We are packing very maticulously with tons of bubble wrap. Buy it from ULINE.com. Good price for 188' rolls. Consistently quick delivery and good products. I also discovered a nifty item. Rubbermaid makes a cedar Roughneck storage tote [item# 2215-cd-cedar]. They are about $15 each. You can get a good deal on them at acehardware.com where you can get 12 for $161.89 [$13.50 ea.]. They offer FREE shipping to a local store near you. I also bought the cedar blocks, balls, and shelf liners [brand name- Cedar Fresh] from Ace as well. These will be a little extra piece of mind to help deter the pesky silverfish [gotta love California].

My goal is to utilize the garage we have which is right next to the curb where the truck will be parked. If I can get the bulky/heavy items in the garage then the process to load the truck would be literally 6 feet to the truck door and no steps, just the ramp into the truck. As opposed to the two flights of stairs and the 25' foot walkway out to the curb.

I have provided a credit card so that they can commit me for the date and assign a driver. I will try to snap some photos of everything and keep updates coming.

**Part 2**

***PICTURES*** [are hosted by google web albums, hold mouse over picture for my full captions]
http://picasaweb.google.com/clapp2/OurB ... ove3202007

The driver was assigned, Woody Kuhne (see photo below).

He called me two days prior to the move date. We discussed the time he should arrive and some details about my specific location, how to get off the highway and loading my cars onto the truck. Woody had said he would suggest using a flatbed truck to load the cars but we could readdress it the day he arrives. I also informed him I would like to hire him for assistance with loading. He stated $35 an hour. That was exactly what I had expected.

I had hired two extra bodies {from EMOVE.com} to move the remaing items from my second floor apartment. The week prior to my move I had a couple friends help me load up my garage which was curbside so that it would reduce the amount of time and effort on moving day. I stocked up on cases of bottled water [although noone drank much].

Woody called on moving day [Tuesday 3/20] right on time [actually just a bit early]. He was getting ready to exit the highway. He parked and came in to take a look at what I had to go on the truck. He was immediately throwing out suggestions of what items to begin with. My hired movers arrived right on time. Things began to move very quickly. Woody arrived at 9:30am and the movers were there at 9:45am. Woody befriended the movers and began utilizing them to help stage the truck for loading. We had to put the ramps up and remove the dollies and [it seemed like millions of] moving blankets and furniture dollies. I was psyched the Woody came far more prepared than the Broadway Express website had indicated. Once we began Woody had said he would recommend using the flatbed truck [calling a towing company] to put the two cars up on the truck but that we should wait until just before we are ready to call. By noon we had everything out of the apartment and mostly in the truck.

I ordered a couple xtra large cheese pizzas for everyone and pulled out the punch gatorade and water for drinks. The moving guys from Incredible Hulk Moving Service ate lunch and then left almost righ after as the 4 hours I had contracted them for was up. Their rate was $30 per hour, per person. Their names were Mike [who actually runs the company. he's a young entrepenerial type] and Ben. I gave them a $20 tip each.

After lunch we called the towing company for the flatbed truck. The guy arried quick. He had never put cars up onto a tractor trailer before. The only incident was that I burned up the clutch on my Element a bit [aweful stink] because he was having me back up a hill and up onto his sloped flatbed. It a little nerve racking to say the least. It only took15 minutes to put the cars onto the truck one by one. The accord went it first and last was the Element. The charge was $55 per car plus tax, total $115.

Woody finalized the securing of the cars inside the truck with straps and then we helped him pick up the ramps and his totes, moving blankets and furniture dollies and put them on the end of the truck. Woody charged me $175 for his help, I gave him $200. By 2:30pm, we had the truck entirely loaded with doors shut, straps up and paperwork signed so Woody could get onto the highway and out of San Diego prior to rush hour traffic. He said he would arrive in Connecticut in 6 to 7 days but would call me with his progress.

I called Woody on Friday and checked his progress. He said he was in Jackson, TN and was stopped to take care of some business. He said he would be in Connecticut by Tuesday 3/27. He called me on Monday to check in and ask about how to get to the house. He arrived by 8:30am on 3/27. I called a local towing company for a flatbed to take the cars off the truck. They charged me $50 for both cars. I had family help unload this time. It was Woody again, myself, my wife, my sister, my stepfather and my wife's father helping. We were done unloading by 11am. Woody charged me $140, but I gave him $170.

There were no issues with unexpected damages. I packed super good and Woody's expert packing was excellent. I used a ton of bubble wrap from ULINE.com and plastic wrap from UHAUL.com. Woody's mind was amazing for remembering the items I had to pack and how they would fit together in the truck. I knew I had done the right thing by hiring his services to help load/unload.

$$$$- I never got a call from Broadway Express saying they couldn't charge my credit cards the fee for the truck on moving day. They wait and charge your card they day of the move. I had split up the $7422 onto three credit cards. Sometimes when you have large transactions the credit card company will block it for your safety and require you to call them to obtain an authorization number which you then give to Broadyway Express so they can put the transaction through. I didn't need to do any of that though, thankfully. Tammy at Broadway Express had let me know about the possible process in case I heard from her moving day and that it was perfectly normal so I shouldn't stress out.

I hope my review and my pictures are some help to those considering Broadway Express. You can send me a message if you have any questions also.

**Important note- Woody's truck was 53' long. You can see the truck in my pictures. I had scheduled and timed the move to happen right after the street sweeping parking ban on our side of the street [Tues 7-10am was the parking ban]. This way I knew the street would be clear for parking the truck. It took a solid 5 car lengths to park the truck, and we needed an additional 1 and a half car lengths behind the truck for the ramps and to load the cars with the flatbed truck. Keep this in mind.

[Editor's note by Diane: Thanks so much for this update and for all the helpful hints. For those wondering why the trailer says Bekins, the parent company of Broadway Express (Griffith Trucking) used to be the largest hauling agent for Bekins in the United States. BE is still using one or two of those trailers.]
ChrisC

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (259 total - 249 good/8 neutral)

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:50 pm

Re-posting a review by "Ben" (#259) sent to me by Private Message:

Date: 1/07
Move: Seattle to Denver
Cost: $1563 for 7 feet
Driver: Dan P.

I used BE to move from Seattle, WA to Denver, CO. I used 7ft of truck space and paid $1,563.00. Overall, the experience was great. There was no damage to my items and the truck arrived on time.

My only advice is to put a lot of stuff on the truck. I tried to save some money by taking some of my own stuff in my car, but it would have been easier and overall cheaper just to send it with BE (I overestimated the capacity of my car and had to ship two boxes). BE is a little more expensive than other options for a very small move, but I feel like the value goes up with additional feet of space - I could have shipped a lot more for a little more money. In any case, I don't regret choosing BE at all, because the slightly higher price was worth the high quality service and peace of mind.

In particular, I should mention that my driver Dan Putz was awesome. He helped me pack all my stuff, and did an outstanding job protecting items I was concerned about, including my paintings, snowboard, and bike. There was some complications regarding picking up my stuff since I lived on a small street, but Dan was very easy to work with and met me in a mall parking lot.

I'll definitely use BE the next time I move.

Ben
Diane

Re: Broadway Express Reviews (260 total - 250 good/8 neutral)

Postby Diane » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:58 pm

Re-posting a delayed review (#260) by "NCJeff" - he added the first paragraph in a Private Message to me.

Date: 7/05 (posting delayed)
Move: Huntington Beach, CA, to Cary, NC
Cost: $2175 for 10 feet
Driver: Dan P.

I moved end of July 05 from Huntington Beach. My driver was Dan Putz, the cost for 10 linear feet was $2,175. Diane came by to see a BE truck, kind of see the process, and talked a bit with Dan. I recall giving her my unused candles cuz I figured they'd melt in the truck, and you're not supposed to ship that stuff anyway.

I had very little furniture to move. In my case just two sets of mattresses and a 36" TV. I'd sold off the misc couches, tables, etc. with the plan on starting fresh in NC. . . .

I was packing everything myself. I'd have to check, but I think I had 30 - 40 boxes of various sizes - big ones with bedding, medium with clothes, small ones with books, plus the various original packing boxes for the electronic equipment, etc. (the original foam packing seemed a better choice than a generic sized box).

Anyway, by moving day all of the boxes were packed and stacked in the garage, in order, so the heavy stuff could go on the bottom, light stuff on top. The driver and I loaded in furniture first, then I trucked in the boxes while he stacked them. We were done in about an hour and a half. Same went for unloading. I payed the driver for the assistance, just as someone else would have tipped the loaders. That part is a wash. So in my case, since the load was relatively small the DIY part was not material.

I think what I gained in that was that as my load was smaller, going with Broadway Express removed the possibility of my stuff going to a central warehouse, being unloaded, then reloaded with another truck going to the same destination in an effort to get a full truck. . . . In my case the truck that pulled up in front of my house was the same truck that pulled up here in NC. In doing it myself I also had the knowledge that everything was packed and stacked securely and satisfaction of having done it myself.

Jeff

http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 4616#84616
Diane

PreviousNext

Return to Reviews of Companies Endorsed by MovingScam