ABF Tampa Outcome

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.
stemberk

ABF Tampa Outcome

Postby stemberk » Sat Jul 03, 2004 10:21 pm

Greetings to all. I am sure that some of you have been awaiting the finale to my move with ABF. Considering it is 11:00 pm on a Saturday night, I will keep my comments brief for now and go in to detail later. All in all, I must say that you get what you pay for and I don't have any complaints. You truly must go into this with an open mind and take great precautions when packing and loading your items. Some of my furniture suffered minor scratches but that was my fault, not theirs. My brother loaded something on top of a dresser he shouldn't have and a scratch occured. All of my items arrived in tact, except for a few candles which were a bit deformed from the heat. I should have just bought them down here but I can't resist a SALE!!!

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is an extremely busy time of year for moving. I believe Diane or someone stated before that "inconvenience" isn't your items arriving a few hours late. Mine were supposed to arrive at 1:00pm but they show up at 5:00pm. Luckily, I had great movers who worked with my scheduled and came back the next morning since there was no trailer to unload when they arrived at 2:00pm. Keep in mind, I tried to keep all this coordinated while on Amtrak's Auto Train to Florida. I really got off easy. I didn't have to drive my car or my belongings down here.

I did receive some great advice from the three gentlemen who unloaded my trailer (and their price was a steal, especially with three flights of stairs to carry my things up.) When I opened the trailer, they informed me as to why some of my items had shifted. I didn't pack tight enough or high enough. They said people are afraid to pack to the ceiling for some reason. However, this is just one moving company's opinion. And what I mean by moving company is an outfit that moves peoples belongings on and off of trailers. They were phenomenal and worth every cent!

All in all, I would go with ABF again. Due to the high volume of moves, they didn't have a ramp here in Tampa for me but it still worked out. I contacted ABF about 10 times in one day and each time they were courteous and never seemed irritated. Again, people just need to understand that this is a very busy time of year and you deal with it the best that you can. I called them 3 days in advance of my delivery and each day until it was delivered just to go over details and possibly delivery times. I didn't realize that your delivery time also depends on what else is on the truck and whether or not that freight has been unloaded yet. If I am rambling, forgive me. It has been a very long week.

The best advice I received was from my dad. He told me to go out and buy one of those large plastic painting tarps (you can find them at Wal Mart for about $5). He told me to spread it out on the carpet in the living and bedrooms. At first I thought this was odd but afterward it made sense. Those containers got a bit dirty and dusty and the tarp kept all this dirt off my brand new carpet. Plus, after walking in and out of the trailer so many times, peoples shoes get dirty. Keeps the grease off as well! Less mess for you to clean up!

Well, that's all for now. I know someone mentioned they are getting ready to use ABF so let me know if I can answer any questions or if anyone else has questions about my move. I am more than happy to assist and answer in any way I can.

Have a great night all!

Kara

Diane

Re: ABF Tampa Outcome

Postby Diane » Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:36 pm

Kara, thanks so much for taking the time to report when I know you must be exhausted. From doing it myself, I can reassure you that eventually your legs and feet return to normal and you can walk at your usual pace again. :)

stemberk wrote:You truly must go into this with an open mind and take great precautions when packing and loading your items. Some of my furniture suffered minor scratches but that was my fault, not theirs.

Amen, sister. Here is a Ripoff Report on ABF sent to me by MusicMom in which another customer says the same thing - http://www.badbusinessbureau.com/report ... f37472.htm

Another thing to keep in mind is that this is an extremely busy time of year for moving. I believe Diane or someone stated before that "inconvenience" isn't your items arriving a few hours late. Mine were supposed to arrive at 1:00pm but they show up at 5:00pm.

A delay of four hours really isn't all that bad. The ABF lady told me on Friday that they are really backed up, especially in Florida, because it's the busiest weekend of the year for moving. But the company is trying to do the right thing, which makes a difference.

If only everyone wouldn't try to move at the same time! Of course, most people have little choice, but if people can even move their date to mid-week early in the month, it could help them get a better-quality move with fewer delays, and often at lower cost. For example, if you click on the rate calendar on the ABF website at http://www.upack.com/quote.asp you'll see that people who can move on a Tuesday or Wednesday in early August rather than, say, on a Friday at the end of August can get a discount.

Luckily, I had great movers who worked with my scheduled and came back the next morning . . . I did receive some great advice from the three gentlemen who unloaded my trailer (and their price was a steal, especially with three flights of stairs to carry my things up.) . . . They were phenomenal and worth every cent!

Please tell us the name of this company (I assume it was a local company in Tampa).

Due to the high volume of moves, they didn't have a ramp here in Tampa for me but it still worked out.

How did you manage that? Did the local company bring a ramp?

I didn't realize that your delivery time also depends on what else is on the truck and whether or not that freight has been unloaded yet.

Yes. Another person reported that his sister had to wait for her load until ABF unloaded a bunch of dog food loaded behind it. But the delay wasn't great.

The best advice I received was from my dad. He told me to go out and buy one of those large plastic painting tarps (you can find them at Wal Mart for about $5). He told me to spread it out on the carpet in the living and bedrooms. At first I thought this was odd but afterward it made sense. Those containers got a bit dirty and dusty and the tarp kept all this dirt off my brand new carpet. Plus, after walking in and out of the trailer so many times, peoples shoes get dirty. Keeps the grease off as well! Less mess for you to clean up!

Excellent suggestion, and I'll add it to the packing and loading tips thread.

Congratulations on surviving a DITY move! I think we should all get T-shirts saying that. If you have time, please post your total cost including supplies and labor, and the number of linear feet you used, to give people a better of idea of how using ABF compares costwise to using a full-service mover.
Last edited by Diane on Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

stemberk

Postby stemberk » Fri Jul 16, 2004 8:32 am

Greetings! Sorry for the delay in getting back to you regarding my move with ABF to Tampa. Ever since the truck was unloaded, life has been non-stop and work has been non-stop. Haven’t really had much time to enjoy my new apartment. As stated before, my move with ABF went well. There were a few snafus but again, as Diane stated, this is their busiest time of year and I just happened to move during this time. If you plan well and go into a do it yourself move with patience, knowledge, and understanding, you will make out just fine. Some things are just out of your control and you have to roll with the punches. Luckily, I didn’t have too many of them. Other than a ramp not being available, ABF was great. As stated before, I must have called them 15 times one day and each time, they were polite and courteous.

I thought not having a ramp would be a problem but the movers (unloaders) I hired were able to get the job done in 45 minutes, including the walk up three flights of stairs. My mother and I just watched in amazement. I guess over time, they have developed a system. I just stayed out of their way. The name of the company is Purple People Movers and I believe they are based in St. Petersburg or Tampa. What was interesting is how they carry items up stairs: on their backs. I forget the reasoning but they said less injury and it is a lot easier to carry. They normally do about 4 load/unload operations a day. They noted mine was quite easy because of the containers used for packing. They said you would be surprised at how people just throw things into the back of a trailer.

In the end, I would highly recommend ABF. Personally, I had no problems with them, even with the confusion about a ramp in Tampa. Plan ahead, listen to the advice of others who have used them, and take your time when it comes to packing your things. An ounce of prevention goes a long way. I hope this helps some of you and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Kara

IMP

Postby IMP » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:19 am

Kara - Great outcome and I'm thrilled for you. If you are able - can you give us the rest of the details on Purple? Phone numbers, address, and price paid? Could help others down the road who could need load or unload assistance.

Breathe and enjoy your new apartment now & then!

Return to “Open Community”