mobile

Reviews of Bayshore Moving and Storage (Philly-DE-MD and north VA-DC area)

View reviews of moving companies that our visitors have used, and came back to tell us about it.

Reviews of Bayshore Moving and Storage (Philly-DE-MD and north VA-DC area)

Postby Jeff.Walker » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:21 pm

Based on reviews and comments here, MovingScam has decided to endorse Bayshore Moving and Storage, an Allied agent with locations in both the Philadelphia-Delaware-Baltimore area and the northern VA-DC area. Below is the Superlist listing for the Delaware location, which is the company HQ. Customer satisfaction scores have also been good for the VA location.

:thumbsup:--Bayshore Moving and Storage (Allied) in Newark DE (also in Woodbridge VA). Legal name Bayshore Transportation System, Inc..
A VERY GOOD PERFORMER with at least 5 good reviews and no significant bad reviews as an origin agent on this website. This company with MC #361761 and DOT #540129 has the website www.bayshoreallied.com and the phone 888-665-7342, 302-366-0220 or 800-523-3319. As of 8/10 it had an "A" BBB rating and only 2 complaints (both resolved) over the past 36 months. According to industry people, this is a "gold standard" moving company handling a large number of national accounts and some military. Bayshore is woman-owned and the owner's two sons are managers for the company, one in sales and the other in operations (dispatch). It focuses on giving Guaranteed Pricing.

In 2009, the Bayshore office in Newark, DE had excellent internal customer satisfaction scores based on more than 800 surveys and as of 9/10 this pattern has continued through 2010. In the summer of 2010 it hired a manager with 25 years' experience in international moving. Bayshore handled about 5,000 moves in 2009, and (important for quality) about 85% were self-hauled using its own trucks and drivers. It is a top booking agent for Allied Van Lines.

The company was praised by "bosoxfan" (industry expert) in 5/08 - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 769#108769 It was also praised by "r.tennison" (Allied driver) in 5/08 - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 313#109313 "Techsan93" (working for an Allied agent at the time) posted in 10/08 that Bayshore has very good drivers: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 447#119447

"tbirds1500" reported in 11/06 that a Bayshore rep did a careful, thorough estimate of his belongings for a move to NC booked by Excel (Allied) in Raleigh, and after the move he reported that Bayshore's weight estimate was within 100 pounds of the actual weight, which is pretty incredible: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10484 (origin agent on interstate move)
"allnin" was very pleased with Bayshore for a move to NJ in 1/07--it cost him $1455 to move 3250 pounds:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10840 (interstate)
"CaneGrrl" posted good things about the sales rep for a move from Philadelphia to Atlanta in 4/07 (Bayshore was going to self-haul), although she went with Sinclair instead: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13225
"pkz123" never came back with a final report but posted in 5/08 that she had decided to go with Bayshore for a move from Philly to the Syracuse area because of "the attentive and responsiveness of their team" and said that she had a friend moving at the same time who was pleased as well: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 0040#10040 (interstate)
"realmingus" (real name John) posted in 7/08 that he was going with Bayshore for a move from DE to Los Angeles because "their service and personal attention has been great so far." There were problems with the actual move (the load was split; a helper was drunk; some items were not properly noted on the inventory), but this was the fault of the van line because Bayshore only booked the move and did not haul it. John had purchased FRV coverage and Bayshore honored his claim for $1000 in damage: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16865 (booking agent for interstate move)
In 10/08 "SinDonor" gave Bayshore an excellent review for hauling his move from FL to Redmond, WA, praising especially Bill Fortier, the driver (#40744): http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17394 (hauling agent on interstate move)
In 11/09 "Sacgal" posted a rave review of a move to CA with Bayshore, praising especially Paul Skolaski (sales rep), Matt (driver), and Diane (office) - "They were just all so professional and helpful and friendly. Not one complaint!": http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18779 (interstate)
"bonsai811" posted in 4/10 that he/she had decided on Bayshore for a very small shipment to FL because they had a good price but never came back to report: http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtop ... 177#130177 (interstate)
"Sneftel" singled out Bill Haywood and Deirdra Fitzgerald for high praise in a review on 10/11/11:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21053 (international)
"robertlewisca" posted a very good review of his move on 10/24/11:
http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21077 (interstate)
Last edited by Jeff.Walker on Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jeff.Walker

Re: Reviews of Bayshore Moving and Storage (Philly-DE-MD and north VA-DC ar

Postby tonyw44 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:58 pm

Wow, I get to post the first review of this company under the sticky? How cool! (My move is from the DC area to San Diego.)

I contacted these people via the link that's on this website. You know how I was a little irritated with Federal because they didn't call me back the first time and I had to make a second call to them? No such problem here. I don't think the tab with Bayshore's website was on was closed for more than a minute or two before I got a call back from Kim. That was on 9/30 and we set up a meeting with Milton for today at 1:00.

Milton called me this morning to confirm the appointment, and when I told him I had a dentist appointment and would like to push things back by about 15-20 minutes, he said no problem.

Milton came by and before going to the inventory, he asked questions about what I was looking to do. He told me about this site and also told me that I should get three quotes. I told him that I had done so and that he was the third, and that I'd called Federal and Town and Country. He actually said that he knew the guy who did the estimate for me at Federal and that he has nothing but good things about Town and Country but reminded me that they are a local company.

What was most impressive was that he had suggestions on how to take care of things on my own and to save money on it. For example, when I said that I didn't have the box for my TV and that I was quoted a price of $200 to pack it from Federal and that I didn't want to spend that kind of money on a TV that only cost me $400, he told me not to worry. First, he said, he could have his guys do it for $100. He gave me a bunch of tips on how to do it myself and save some money.

I also mentioned to him that I figured I'd have to get rid of my aquariums. He gave me a suggestion on how to take care of it. I was very impressed. The other movers told me that I'd have to have them packed by their people and that it'd cost a decent chunk of change -- more than the aquariums are worth!

He did the inventory and instead of just looking briefly at things, he had suggestions on what to keep and what to toss. In fact, he pulled out a bottle of olive oil and said to me, if you want to keep this, and I know that nobody likes tossing $20 down the drain, at the very least you should put it in a zip lock bag and seal it. That way, if it does break -- and yes, the insurance will cover it but it's a hassle -- it's contained. He also told me that much of the food in the cabinet would not be worth shipping. So I need to eat well and get rid of it!

I asked him if he could ship my car for me, and he told me that he could, but I wouldn't want him to. He told me that he's seen prices from $900 to $1600 to move a car from Bethesda to San Diego and that Allied is going to be on the high end of things.

The most impressive thing after all this? I got quotes from Bayshore, Federal, and Town and Country. And Bayshore's not to exceed price was lower than everyone else.

So not only did I get suggestions on how to pack things and how to save myself a lot of time and hassle, but I got a lower price than others. Is there any question who I'm going to work with?

The big difference for these guys versus the others I called is the advice I got from Milton. The others were professional and I'd have no problem working with them. But what made Bayshore stand out in my mind is the advice and suggestions that I received.

I'm in sales myself, and Milton did the same kinds of things I do. I'll give advice, and if I can't provide a service, I'll tell you who can. If my service isn't competitive, I'll tell you that as well. And it was very impressive to see someone else do that.
tonyw44

Postby Diane » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:23 pm

Very refreshing and nice to read! For your auto shipment, try getting quotes from the auto movers endorsed by this website. Milton is exactly right - if you ship a car with a moving company, you'll pay more.
Diane

Postby tonyw44 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:04 pm

Diane wrote:Very refreshing and nice to read! For your auto shipment, try getting quotes from the auto movers endorsed by this website. Milton is exactly right - if you ship a car with a moving company, you'll pay more.

The company that Milton recommended for the car was DAS. I've already received a quote from Golden Key and ProStar. ProStar came in at $1,200 and Golden Key came in at $1,025. I'll call DAS to confirm this and see if they have a discount for referrals or this website, but their quote is already significantly less expensive. They want $814 but I think one of the reasons they are less expensive is because that's for a terminal to terminal shipment. If I want door to door, that's $184 more.

By using Bayshore and the car transporter they recommend, the cost of moving my household goods AND my car comes in at around the same price as the other quotes.
tonyw44

Postby Diane » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:47 am

If you check the reviews on the Auto Transporters thread, you'll see that DAS's performance has been uneven for individual COD customers although good for "account" customers like Bayshore. If it were my car, I'd go with Golden Key, whose price is about the same as DAS for door to door and whose service has been consistently excellent. (PS Sales reps for moving companies sometimes get a $50 referral fee for recommending companies like DAS to their customers.) Another thing:- DAS is rumored to be having major financial problems.
Diane

Postby tonyw44 » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:40 pm

Diane wrote:If you check the reviews on the Auto Transporters thread, you'll see that DAS's performance has been uneven for individual COD customers although good for "account" customers like Bayshore. If it were my car, I'd go with Golden Key, whose price is about the same as DAS for door to door and whose service has been consistently excellent. (PS Sales reps for moving companies sometimes get a $50 referral fee for recommending companies like DAS to their customers.) Another thing:- DAS is rumored to be having major financial problems.

Thanks for the information, Diane. I think what I will do, since the account customers seem to be getting good service for their customers, is get Bayshore's contact at DAS. Then I'll call them and book the service and hopefully my experience will be like the ones other account customers have had.
tonyw44

Postby tonyw44 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:17 am

I figured I'd get back here so that I could let everyone know how the move went. It was a very smooth and easy process. And the most amazing thing to me was that the weight estimate was accurate to around 80 pounds. When you're dealing with 3,100 plus pounds, to nail it that close is just amazing.

The loading process took longer than I thought it would, as everything had to be inventoried and that took some time. They managed to get everything done in about three hours. There was some excitement, because someone who was using the loading dock wasn't supposed to be there and they arrived a little early. That made things a little difficult for me because I figured they'd come at 1:00, no sooner, and was packing the last few boxes up.

The driver told me once he got on the road, it was only really three days to the west coast, so that helped me guesstimate when the things would arrive. He told me that he'd be packing things up until Saturday, and then he'd head to Vegas first, then Palm Springs, and then San Diego for me. So I figured, okay, Vegas Wednesday, Palm Springs Thursday, and Friday for me. I was off by one day, and he arrived on Saturday.

We had a little trouble getting a spot for him to park, but he was able to maneuver his way into a spot where he could unload things. He had two helpers with him. They arrived at 9:00 and they had everything into my new place by 11:00.

The only thing I didn't like was that when I asked how long I had to file a claim for anything that was damaged, the driver told me since they didn't pack it, they wouldn't be responsible for it. I don't like that, but I understand why the company does that. As it is, the only thing that was damaged was an old lamp. I put that thing together and it didn't work, so I just dumped it.

Overall, the experience was good. I didn't like the damaged lamp, but what can you do? And I didn't like that they wouldn't cover it, but again, what can you do?
tonyw44

Postby MusicMom » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:22 am

That's about as close to a perfect move as you can get. I'm so glad you came back to review your move.

It's standard for any items Packed By Owner (PBO) to be excluded from coverage, because the mover shouldn't be responsible for any poor packing skills that the shipper has. Not saying you are a poor packer, but you get the idea. There's no guarantee that had Bayshore packed it that it would have survived, you did say it was old. At least it did not seem like a big loss to you, and everything else arrived safely.

Again, thank you for coming back to let us know how it went.
MusicMom

Postby tonyw44 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:16 pm

MusicMom wrote:It's standard for any items Packed By Owner (PBO) to be excluded from coverage, because the mover shouldn't be responsible for any poor packing skills that the shipper has. Not saying you are a poor packer, but you get the idea. There's no guarantee that had Bayshore packed it that it would have survived, you did say it was old. At least it did not seem like a big loss to you, and everything else arrived safely.

Again, thank you for coming back to let us know how it went.

No problem. It wasn't a perfect move, because of the lamp. But it was close to it and I would not hesitate to recommend Bayshore.

I actually am a pretty good packer, if I don't say so myself. Nothing else was damaged. I had some champagne flutes, wine glasses, dishes, and so on and every single one of them was just as good when I unpacked it as when I put it in the box. :)
tonyw44

Postby ninneball » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:28 am

Completed move PA to NC - Allied / Bayshore Jan 2011

*if any questions arise to the validity of my post, PM me and I will happily provide any evidence of my review*

I wanted to take the time to write a review to help others in their selection process. I cannot say enough how much help this site was to myself and my family in our relocation efforts. One of the most dreaded and stressful experiences is without a doubt a long distance move and the impact it has on your life. I thankfully came across this site and it gave a keen insight into various entities that I had been dealing with.

I knew of our impending move and began going through various websites for submissions to find movers. I had some fairly decent quotes, but I used some general business practices for selecting my vendors, initially lowest quote is always thrown out if it’s too good to be true theory. Then I had some site surveys completed, granted I got lazy and sent some of my vendors a list from a competitor so I didn’t have to go through all the details of the content with all of them. In the end after gaining all my quotes, I began my web due diligence to look for complaints against these companies. I won’t go into the details of what I found, but suffice to say I came across this forum and am very glad that I did.

My top 3 vendors all came highly regarded. In the end I felt I could not go wrong with any of them, so then, and only then did price sway my final decision (I say mine, because my wife put that trust in my hands to make the call for us and our 3 small children). We have a 4 ½ year old and twin 2 ½ year olds. Suffice to say our house was fairly hectic leading up to the move, but my kids did better than expected, especially since we had to eventually contain them down to a few small boxes & a small suitcase to live out of until this was done.

My requirements were simple enough – I needed a straight drive, I needed it picked up & delivered to a rigid schedule and I needed to be 100% comfortable with all my *stuff*, and I wanted the same crew end to end. I opted for additional coverage to include FRV (full replacement value) on my belongings, simply because I couldn’t justify or god forbid live with myself if the truck imploded and all was lost. I did end up with 2 of the same people (driver + coordinator) and 3 locals from PA for loading, 2 locals from NC for unloading.

NOW TO THE GOOD PARTS!!!!!!

Even though we had a snowstorm the night before the loading, the crew was calling / updating me to their arrival times first thing in the morning. I think maybe they were 10 minutes off their ETA. They were all very professional and courteous. I was always around and within earshot of conversations and NEVER was there any behavior that was rude, insulting or unprofessional. We packed all but the breakables that they need to pack for FRV above the $100 / lb limit. Our belongings and packing methods NEVER gave me reason to pause or even think about how they were being handled, other than awe at how these guys moved so quickly, and never pausing. I did order out for pizza for both legs & fed the guys, 4 pies and a few 2 liters of soda. The total loading was done in about 8 hours. We had a 4 BR house + basement & garage. We had the kids in daycare all day on the loading day, just too much for them to be around & not get hurt or get in people’s ways. Nothing was damaged on the way out, maybe a ding or two on a wall from upstairs to downstairs, but I can’t lay blame on anyone, easily could have been me. We FILLED the entire moving truck, floor to ceiling and maybe 3-4 feet left at the back of the truck. This was a full moving truck, and I was very impressed with how they puzzle pieced this thing together. They even shoveled snow for a walkway from the basement to the driveway to get our air hockey table out without complaining or asking me to do it, just did it and seemed happy to do so.

We were called two days after the loading took place, the final weight estimate was 5k lbs UNDER estimate, so the final price was about $1k less than quoted. We had a binding “not to exceed” estimate as well, but due to the lesser weight than quoted, our bill went down.
They eventually left and we took a few days cleaning our house + saying goodbye, and we were on our own drive down to NC. They left on a Wednesday with a guaranteed delivery on a Sunday mind you. I think the distance was about 600 miles give or take. They were going to be there on Sunday at our NC house at 7:30AM. My wife ran out for coffee that morning as we arrived in town late Sat night. They had called the day before as they were supposed to, confirming they’d be there in the morning. She passed them waiting in our development at 7AM, they were early & ready to go! Two locals were used for unloading, nice guys all around, very pleasant demeanor. This time though our kids were in the house, so they had to work around them. They were all very professional and courteous to our entire family. I say this to all parents as we all may have perceptions of manual workers around kids NOT ONCE WAS ANY VULGARITY USED EVER!!!! NEVER was anyone rude or discourteous and very polite & friendly to my kids, who at this stage of things were tired from driving / no toys / no anything, and happy the movers were bringing back all of their belongings. Again we fed the guys some lunch, and they were done unloading by about 1PM. Everything that was questionable was asked of us where to put things. We labeled the rooms with paper & tape at the doorways to let them know what rooms they were. At one point we realized two rooms were going to switch, and the guys did it, no questions asked (dining room & office were changing what we originally listed them at.
All in all, I can’t say enough about how wonderful the teams were, how coordinated their efforts were and how thankful I was that of the whole planning / packing / implementing stages, that I NEVER HAD CONCERN OVER MY MOVERS. That in itself was a blessing that you simply cannot replace. My recommendation to anyone considering BAYSHORE is that they were perfect.

I was also very impressed how the guys got a couch into an upstairs bonus room, *maybe* they had 1/32” to work with to get it in, but they got it, just took some serious maneuvering to get it in there, I think I’d have to chop it up to get it out.

All in all, I’d give them a 10/10 for everything.
Pricing was under the quote but in line with all other shippers of my final choices.

Service was professional and courteous all the way through

Attention to detail and care for my *stuff* was very clear and always present

So how much did we lose in damages? - We just finished unpacking this past weekend, total losses were 1 wine glass, 1 pre-lit xmas tree for the front porch, and a ding on my top of my entertainment center at the back that nobody will see anyway. No crushed boxes, no furniture scratches, nothing else bad happened, and no wall dings in the new house.

I only had two complaints which I reviewed with the after the move follow up call (one of a few I received), but the only one I spoke to, since I was / am very busy after relocating, but had given all the feedback I needed to. The complaints however are very small and disregarded in my mine, I would CERTAINLY RECOMMEND BAYSHORE AS A MOVER TO ANYONE!!!!! The day of the move, there was a communication issue, I showed my paperwork & discussions with the salesperson as a “staging” on the first day and “loading” on the second. When the movers arrived, they didn’t know about this, however they accommodated to every degree to make sure it wasn’t an imposition on us, and that was fine. The other issue is we got nailed with a snowstorm the night before the loading, so for safety purposes, tons of salt was put on the driveway / walkway to the house, and that got tracked in the house after a full day of work. It took us about 6 cleanings to get the salt off of the hardwood.

The positives 1000% outweigh the few blemishes, which again aren’t a big deal, but I’m writing this whole experience and wanted to paint a true picture, it was as good and better than I could have hoped for, and that to me was worth it more than anything else at all!

Thank you Bayshore & Allied for your GREAT WORK!
ninneball

Postby MusicMom » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:47 am

Thank you so much for coming back to write a thoroughly detailed review! It will be very helpful to those looking to make similar moves in the future. I'm glad it went well.
MusicMom

Postby BLEUWILLO » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:59 pm

Bayshore Allied Newark Delaware AMAZING!!!! From start to finish, Bill Haywood was so helpful with suggestions and ideas for packing, ( I planned this move in a 2 week time frame) Sara Helton with keeping me updated on everything,Dave and Rodger for their humor, courtesy and professional attitude. Thank-you for a move" WELL" done. Would" HIGHLY" refer and recommend them to friends without hesitation. Thank-you.
PS I found them on Movingscam.com, I was looking for reliable movers their reputation and reviews were EXCELLENT
BLEUWILLO

Postby lisa1120 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:24 pm

I'm moving from Baltimore, MD to Washington state, and I was happy to see Bayshore as an endorsed company for the area. I contacted Bayshore, Von Paris, and Hampden Moving through their websites. Bayshore/Allied was very responsive and contacted me immediately. Von Paris was not quite as responsive, but at least I heard from them. Hampden Moving never contacted me.

The in-home estimates from Bayshore and Von Paris were within $45 and 30 lbs of each other (Von Paris was lower). Von Paris has a minimum 2,100 lb weight while Bayshore has a 1,000 minimum. This was important for me, as I'm around 2,050 lbs and most likely going to sell some of the furniture pieces that were included in the estimates.

Von Paris was able to give me a single load date while Bayshore could only do a 3-day span for pick up. On the other hand, Von Paris had a very large delivery span while Bayshore's was smaller. Luckily I'm in a position where the dates don't matter too much. I'd like to have an exact load date, but ultimately what won me over to Bayshore was the customer service. (The fact that they're endorsed here also helped a lot.)

Note that the person from Von Paris was not outright rude, but she just seemed a bit standoffish to me. Some people may appreciate someone who's all matter of fact, but I liked the person from Bayshore who was more outgoing and had more warmth. To be honest, he was actually bordering on being a bit too talkative during the estimate process, but overall I really appreciate his responsiveness to all the questions I asked both during and after the in-home visit. Also, this is a small thing but both representatives wanted a place to sit down and set up their equipment. I liked that the person from Bayshore had a small cloth with him to put underneath the equipment and prevent my table from any scratches. To me, that small level gesture gives me hope that they'll give that level of attention to detail throughout the moving process.

I'll do my best to come back and post as the move progresses...

Edit 6/10/2011 - Before I start, let me explain that I'm having my things moved to my parents' house with the plan being that my mom would accept the delivery. I won't be in Washington for another month. Today is Friday. Up until yesterday, my move coordinator has been telling me to expect a Saturday delivery. Yesterday (Thursday), we were notified at the last minute that the delivery would be today instead. Both my mom and I told the driver and move coordinator that my mom has to leave for work today at 4-5pm so they'd need to be finished unloading by then. At 3pm today, they still haven't arrived. I called my move coordinator, and I will give her props for calling me back even though it's after 5pm on a Friday. She was friendly, but said there's really nothing she can do. The driver is determined to deliver today and he gets to call the shots. She asked if there was a neighbor who could let them in, which I think is a bit of a callous statement. Why would I/my mom just let a bunch of people have free rein to enter the house when no one is around? Plus, isn't part of the moving process to do an inventory upon delivery? Luckily my mom is in a position where she can be late to work without major consequences. The move coordinator said that because my contract specifies that all they have to do is deliver sometime before June 17 (a week from today), that someone is supposed to be available basically whenever the driver decides to deliver. Really? Someone's supposed to just sit around waiting for them to show up? I think what frustrates me the most is that I'd rather they just have been frank yesterday. When we said they'd need to be done by 4-5pm, they should have told us yesterday if that wasn't possible. Then at least we'd have had a day's notice instead of getting continual calls today pushing back the time.
lisa1120

Postby helpless_shipper » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:57 pm

:( Bayshore Moving and Storage people assured me on my first call that 8 business days are good enough after in-house estimate to ship my items, and called me just 2 days before the in-house estimate to say that they are booked upto a whole month and cant do my move!!!
First of all when you call a moving company they should warn you beforehand if your in-house estimate appointment day is not good enough to ship you by the desired date. These guys wasted my time without saying anything for a week and then calling me to tell that they cant ship my stuff.
helpless_shipper

Postby MusicMom » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:45 pm

They must have had a bunch of other customers go ahead and book in those 6 days. Sorry it left you hanging, but that's what happens when service companies enter their busy season. They didn't waste your time; you hadn't committed and they had others who would.

So who else have you talked to for estimates? Use that day you had planned for Bayshore and get three other companies into your house to give quotes. Make your decision quickly, and book them ASAP. Be as flexible as possible, since you're not going to get much chance to haggle with them over dates.
MusicMom

Next

Return to Reviews of Companies Endorsed by MovingScam