mobile

Has anyone used Victory Van Lines or Movers USA in MD for interstate move?

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Has anyone used Victory Van Lines or Movers USA in MD for interstate move?

Postby krosenlehner » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:23 pm

We obtained multiple quotes after in home visits from 7 movers. The quotes are all over the scale. We are moving a 3 bedroom home from MD to SC. All of the moving companies we called have good reviews on the internet. Victory Van lines and Movers USA quoted $3500 - $4000 with them packing us. Sounds to good to be true. The reputable moving companies in our area such as Town & Country and Moyer & Sons quoted $7500 - $8500. Not sure what tpe of contracts each quoted. I have yet to sit down and decipher them.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciate. We need to book now for a move 2 weeks from today.

My husband is disabled and the move is all on me. Trying to save money but the risk may be too high.
krosenlehner

Re: Has anyone used Victory Van Lines or Movers USA in MD for interstate mo

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi - good for you for getting in-home estimates. The next thing you should do is make sure that each sales rep has given you a Binding Not to Exceed quote (sometimes called a Guaranteed Not to Exceed quote) or a Binding quote. Don't accept a Nonbinding quote. Then post the quotes here, including the sales reps' estimates of the number of pounds you have.

You don't have to figure it out yourself - just ASK each rep which type of quote he/she has provided and then check your paperwork to make sure.

Victory Van has had a good reputation in the past but we have recently had a couple of disturbing reports, for example this one - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19934 I don't like the fact that they have apparently not responded to the BBB's request for information about the company. Maybe people in the industry can reassure me about them.

Movers USA (MC #414146) has 3 bad reviews on Yelp.com and another bad one that was filtered. It has had 16 BBB complaints over the past 36 months. According to www.protectyourmove.gov it has 12 trucks and has had 6 Hostage Load complaints, although none during the last three years. This thread says that three years ago Movers USA had 49 BBB complaints and was on the MovingScam Blacklist (which no longer exists) - http://www.movingscam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14929 There are 5 complaints about the company on RipoffReport. It may have improved in recent years but I still think it looks worrisome.

Just as a general comment, when you say, "All of the moving companies we called have good reviews on the internet," you have to be very careful because Internet reviews are quite easy to fake. A telltale sign is when almost all the reviews on one website are positive but those on other websites are bad.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby MusicMom » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:35 pm

Actually, D, there is a company called Victory Van Lines, which claims to serve the metro area, and is different thsn the Allied agent Victory Van Corp. I have no doubt the first is playing off the second's name, and you've just shown how it works. VVL is a small carrier in Rockville.

Both T & C and Moyer & Sons are mid-sized independant companies. Some of my neighbors used Moyer and said it went well.

Please, take a moment to think. When.someone uses the phrase "too good to be true", their gut is trying to tell them something. How can some companies offer a half priced move while still.claiming to perform the exact same services? It's not because the "expensive" movers are raking in massive profits (OK, guys, stop laughing), it's because the cheaper movers are leaving out something very important. Either the service will suck or they're cutting corners, or the price will change to reflect the actual.cost of moving but not until later when it's too late to change your mind.
MusicMom

Postby Diane » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:02 pm

MusicMom wrote:Actually, D, there is a company called Victory Van Lines, which claims to serve the metro area, and is different thsn the Allied agent Victory Van Corp. I have no doubt the first is playing off the second's name, and you've just shown how it works. VVL is a small carrier in Rockville.

Thanks for pointing this out, MM. I see that the Superlist makes this distinction too, so I should have read it before posting! :wink: In that case, I would certainly advise the OP to move beyond Victory Van Lines and Movers USA to other possibilities. Whenever a quote comes in far below others from companies that are known to be reputable, it's best to run in the opposite direction.
Diane
Check out domestic companies on this thread. Click here for a detailed, authoritative article on international moving.
Diane

Postby Movinghelper » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:48 am

Actually Victory Van Lines is in violation already of the FMCSA by not having their DOT number posted on their website. That's a bad start.

They also have a masked ownership of their domain name, to me that is not a good sign either.
They are part of the Merak Moving System.
Mr Sherif Yanuzov (Member/Manager) Also comes up under Express movers but not sure if it is the same person.
Complaint Contact: Ms Milena Zaimova (Customer Service Manager)
are the managers.

400 Calvin Lane
Rockville, MD 20851
is thier address, it appears all of the trucks and the warehouse are hidding underneath the trees in the back yard of the house. I cannot see them.

The former address also showed no trucks.1006 Julian Place, Rockville, MD 20852

Movers USA
Domain is handled out of Quebec. DOT site was down. There are some serious scammer complaints on citysearch but a lot of good ones also. So not sure how to go on this.

Best thing to do if they are all in your area is take some time and visit their facilities. That can be a telltale sign to go with your gut.
Last edited by Movinghelper on Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.
Movinghelper

Postby krosenlehner » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:52 pm

Thank you for your feedback and the work looking into these companies. You found more info than I was able to. I have lots to think about. I will let you know who we decide on.
krosenlehner

Return to Open Community