mobile

Shall I renew Car Registration if I am moving out of state for good

Our open community forum is for general moving related questions, comments, and useful information about local and interstate moves.

Shall I renew Car Registration if I am moving out of state for good

Postby vikas.iet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:40 pm

Hi,

I am moving out of state this month end. I got my Registration renewal notice which has a grace period till Sep1,2011. Shall I do the registration here in CA, and then move out.or I can just go to the next state and do the registration there.
vikas.iet

Re: Shall I renew Car Registration if I am moving out of state for good

Postby tjbender » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:32 pm

So your registration's good until September 1 and you're moving out at the end of July?

Why would you even consider giving California more of your money? God knows that state in particular gets enough of it already. Register your car in your new home within a week or so of arriving and you'll be fine. :)
tjbender

Postby vikas.iet » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:04 am

Thanks for the reply. The issue is The registration is expired on 1st July,2011 but since they provide 60 days without penalty grace window, I can do renewal untill 1st sep,2011 without paying penalty.

Please suggest.
vikas.iet

Postby kh4386 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:18 am

Hi vikas,

Looks like I'm in just the same situation as you. I posted a very similar question yesterday. You can see it here, along with the responses I got.
kh4386

Postby MusicMom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:40 am

Are you positive it says you can be up to 60 days late without penalty?

Just remember that if you get a ticket for expired registration in that time period you won't get a grace period from that.
MusicMom

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:20 am

I don't know what kind of registration you have, but California does NOT have any grace period. If you miss your registration date, the cost goes up for each time window on your registration card that you are late.
I know, because I forgot to renew mine on time in April, and it was $90 by the expiration date, and I missed it by 2 days and paid $140
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Postby Movinghelper » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:23 pm

California registration fees are due and payable upon receipt of the registration renewal billing notice, which is mailed out approximately 67 days before the expiration date. The expiration date is not a due date. It is the last day to renew without penalty.
For more information on moving or to file a complaint go to http://www.protectyourmove.gov

1..NEVER PAY A MOVER A DEPOSIT FOR INTERSTATE MOVING! IT COULD BE THE START OF THE BIG SCAM
2. GO WITH IN HOME ESTIMATES ONLY.
3. DO NOT USE A BROKER.
Movinghelper

Postby x-countrymove » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:13 pm

When I moved from CA in 2004, my car registration expired on May 31. I was leaving CA immediately after Memorial Day and driving the car to FL. I was advised that if I did not renew, I would not have a valid registration and no other options were offered. I would have liked to have a temporary solution until I could get to FL and register my car, but there were none and I could not possibly register the car in FL until I got there. I ended up renewing my CA registration @ $240. I was lucky enough to drive the car in FL for the full year I paid for the CA registration (I wanted my money's worth) and then I registered the car in FL. I'm not recommending this, but I was fortunate to have gotten away with it. Most states require you to register your car there within 20 days. I was rolling the dice and was lucky.
x-countrymove

Postby kh4386 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:46 pm

BigLeeCalif wrote:I don't know what kind of registration you have, but California does NOT have any grace period.

x-countrymove wrote:California registration fees are due and payable upon receipt of the registration renewal billing notice, which is mailed out approximately 67 days before the expiration date. The expiration date is not a due date. It is the last day to renew without penalty.

This changed on July 1st due to new legislation. The following note was included with my renewal notice, which I received 9 days before the due date...

Legislation passed on may 4, 2011, changes DMV's process for collecting registration renewal fees due on or after July 1, 2011. This includes not sending 60-day advance notification to renew and establishing a 30-day grace period before penalties are due.

Pay fees within 30-days of the DUE DATE to avoid penalties.

Law enforcement will not cite vehicles until the first day of the second month after the vehicle registration expires. For example: A vehicle registration due in July would not be subject to citation until September.

The only problem with this is that I doubt out-of-state law enforcement are going to know about or follow California's new legislation.

Ken
kh4386

Postby BigLeeCalif » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:59 pm

That sucks. Mine expired in April.

Other states will not honor California regulations if your registration has expired. I'm curious as to how insurance companies are going to respond to accidents that happen during this "grace period". Just because California is allowing a registration grace period, there is no law requiring insurance companies to cover accidents during any period your vehicle is not legally registered.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt" Mark Twain
BigLeeCalif

Return to Open Community